PDA

View Full Version : How do you control your SqueezeBox ?

erland
2007-07-09, 10:35
I would like to get some information about how most people control their SqueezeBox. As an example to you use the remote control to select what to play and never the web interface, or do you use the web interface most of the time ?

The reason for the question is to get some more information about which interface to focus on when developing plugins.

So what type of interface your are using when browsing, search and selecting what to play.

CatBus
2007-07-09, 10:49
For me, it's the remote almost 100%. Although having only a single-line text display is definitely pretty limiting, I just hate using a computer to listen to music.

I'd say both the web and remote interfaces are must-haves for your typical plugin, however. Some people insist on using the web interface even if they think it's clunky, probably because they can't deal with the single-line display of the remote interface.

-Stef-
2007-07-09, 10:49
Web control most of the time because I am still exploring the wonderful world of internet radio on SN. First thing I do every morning/evening is grab the remote to hit the "my favorites" button though. After that the exploring begins.

amcluesent
2007-07-09, 10:58
Can I vote twice? For the bedroom SB3 just the remote, for the SB3 hooked up to the main hi-fi, mostly the web-interface using the laptop.

Benway
2007-07-09, 11:06
Can I vote twice? For the bedroom SB3 just the remote, for the SB3 hooked up to the main hi-fi, mostly the web-interface using the laptop.

Ditto here.

In the bedroom the remote and in the lounge i use the PC when it is on if not then the remote.

funkstar
2007-07-09, 11:54
Same again here.

I used to use the remote almost exclusively, but i've found myself using the web interface more and more while at my laptop. Having a 22" screen hooked to it and the Fishbone skin makes searching through album covers quite enjoyable :)

aubuti
2007-07-09, 12:16
Mostly the remote, because (1) I usually run slimserver on a LinkStation NAS, so the web ui is a bit sluggish, and (2) I usually don't have a computer in the room where I'm listening. Actually, even when I do have my laptop in the same room as the SB, I will almost always grab the remote anyway.

That said, when I'm sitting at the computer in a room *without* an SB and want to turn on some tunes in an adjacent room, or change what is playing or how loud it is playing, I'll often open up the web ui to control one of my SBs, rather than getting up and using the remote.

Nostromo
2007-07-09, 13:29
I use the remote

Ur[s]uS
2007-07-09, 16:01
SB3 Remote 50%. Universal Remote 20%. Laptop/Nokia 770 30%.

It's a function of where I am listening. Bedroom and kitchen are mainly SB3 remote and Nokia 770. Living room is universal remote.

I guess I don't help much defining which group to cater for.

adamslim
2007-07-10, 01:08
Web interface; just ordered a Nokia 770 to see if that works as well.

I would deeply appreciate a filter-based browsing system within a web interface, which could deal with multiple genre fields well. Sort of like www.dabs.com

Adam

jimascroft
2007-07-10, 01:16
Hi All,
Would mainly want to use handheld with colour UI. PSP or Nokia 770.
I think an easy to use touch-screen would be the ideal.

Cheers

Jim

erland
2007-07-10, 01:25
I would deeply appreciate a filter-based browsing system within a web interface, which could deal with multiple genre fields well. Sort of like www.dabs.comYou may want to look at the latest Custom Scan/Custom Browse plugins. When you use the Mixed Tag scanning module in Custom Scan it provides a new "Tags" menu through Custom Browse that uses the principles you want. All scanned tags can be browsed in any order/combination in unlimited number of levels.

Post in the 3rd party plugins forum if you have problem getting it to work.

simbo
2007-07-10, 01:34
Standard remote mainly for me, but I'm trying to develop my script for Salling Clicker to a point where I can control everything via my mobile phone (more freedom to move around, easier to browse etc). It will never be able to replace the remote for the SqueezeNetwork though.

TheQwerty
2007-07-10, 04:12
Most of the time I'm controlling my SB3 with a Harmony 880.

I'm due for a new phone and have been keeping the ability to use the Web UI in mind when browsing, and I'd really like to get my hands on a Chumby to see what that could do for interfacing.

But I predict the 880 will still be my primary control.

corbey
2007-07-10, 04:50
Standard remote for choosing favorites and adjusting volume on the SB in my TV room. N800 or laptop for choosing albums or songs from my library.

Actually, I use the standard remote, n800, laptop, and desktop PC interchangeably, depending on which one is most convenient at the moment. And that flexibility is one of the great things about the Slimserver/Squeezebox system!

Almost forgot to mention that I have a Home Theater Master MX700 set up to control the SB connected to my HT system.

Siduhe
2007-07-10, 05:01
Actually, I use the standard remote, n800, laptop, and desktop PC interchangeably, depending on which one is most convenient at the moment. And that flexibility one of the great things about the Slimserver/Squeezebox system!

Me too - although it's a 770 in my case. I would fall under "I use a combination of all of the above, depending on the circumstances"

For example, I always use the webUI on the laptop to find Listen Again shows on AlienBBC (because there are so many to choose from) and I tend use the laptop for searching for specific song names to play. I use the remote to browse for specific albums I have in mind to play, and I tend to use the Nokia when I don't have something specific in mind, but want to "flip through" my album art.