PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox broken already? :(

stormy
2007-07-07, 12:37
Hmmm, I am not happy. I have had my squeezebox litrally around a month and the LCD seems to be faulty already.

The top 4 or 5 lines on the LCD seem to flicker on and off intermitantly.

*edit now I have lost half the display...

Do I need to contact Logitech or the retailer as I assume I can get this replaced? :(

I am in the UK if that matters.

A photo of the unit showing the problem:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6220/sb2qi6.jpg

Mike

JimC
2007-07-07, 13:00
Hmmm, I am not happy. I have had my squeezebox litrally around a month and the LCD seems to be faulty already.

The top 4 or 5 lines on the LCD seem to flicker on and off intermitantly.

*edit now I have lost half the display...

Do I need to contact Logitech or the retailer as I assume I can get this replaced? :(

I am in the UK if that matters.

A photo of the unit showing the problem:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6220/sb2qi6.jpg

Mike

That definitely looks like a hardware failure. You should contact your retailer first -- they may be able to replace it under their return policy. If not, please contact your local Logitech support office (you can get the telephone number or email address from www.logitech.com). They can get you a replacement unit.

-=> Jim

stormy
2007-07-07, 13:05
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. After having the unit unplugged for 10 minutes the display has come back on.

I am now worried there is some intermitant fault with the unit. I think because the unit is older than a month, the retailer will refer me to Logitech.

I am unsure what to do now becuase the display is back on again. :( Has anyone ever reported something like this before? I suppose the unit is gaurenteed for 2 years so I could just keep an eye on it to see if it does it again!?

Mike

mvalera
2007-07-07, 13:51
It is warrantied for 2 years.

If it does it again, please contact Logitech support and arrange a return.

stormy
2007-07-07, 13:56
Yeh, I will contact them on monday as its just done it again.

Thanks,

Mike

stormy
2007-07-09, 09:04
Done, on its way back to Scan Computer, who said they will test it and then replace. (after I got a ID from Logitech). If they find the fault that is...

I am pretty annoyed to be honest as time and time again when things break the user has to foot the cost of returning the faulty item. I have lost count how much money I have spent returning faulty items over the years.

Plus with the manual weighing tones, it cost me best part of 10 to return. I know it might sound petty but its taken the whole shine off the experience for me. I know things go wrong but this is the third faulty product I have had to return in as many weeks.

First a faulty GFX card, then a faulty Hard Drive and now the SB3. They say bad luck comes in threes. I need some good luck now. :(

Pale Blue Ego
2007-07-09, 10:24
Man, that Logitech logo looks nasty - where's my black magic marker?

And why isn't the new logo shown on the Home page?

funkstar
2007-07-09, 11:51
Done, on its way back to Scan Computer, who said they will test it and then replace. (after I got a ID from Logitech). If they find the fault that is...
If they don't experience the problem, refer them to this thread. The Scan guys are pretty good i have a lot of dealings with them. You can also use their support forums on HEXUS (http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=49).

stormy
2007-07-09, 12:46
Cheers, I sent them screenshots. One of the tech guys at Logitech suggested doing a factory reset which I didnt try actually! I seriously doubt the rom or sth could cause an LCD issue like that though. Then they used the worrying words "We may have to repair the unit". God, I hope I will be getting a brand new replacement from Scan and not waiting for it to get fixed back at Logitech! That will be the icing on the cake. It's barely a month old! :(

Heres hoping!

LOL

I will report how I get on.

Ian_F
2007-07-09, 13:27
I am pretty annoyed to be honest as time and time again when things break the user has to foot the cost of returning the faulty item. I have lost count how much money I have spent returning faulty items over the years.

Plus with the manual weighing tones, it cost me best part of 10 to return. I know it might sound petty but its taken the whole shine off the experience for me. I know things go wrong but this is the third faulty product I have had to return in as many weeks.

For info, you're not liable for the carriage costs of returning faulty goods. How easy it is to get them refunded tho is another matter ;)

stormy
2007-07-10, 02:16
Scan got the unit this morning and have confirmed the fault, said they will raise a new invoice and send me a brand new unit towards the end of the week (which is a bit vague). Will the new unit be warrantied from this new invoice date or my original purchase date?

Fingers crossed this one will be ok!

Thanks,

Mike

oreillymj
2007-07-10, 08:21
From the sounds of it, the display might have a bad solder joint which is making the top of the display come on-off as the temperature varies, but that's just a guess.

I'm actually thinking about getting a Philips TV repaired outside of the the 1 year warranty that I was told the plasma had. Philips never properly fixed it when I complained after about 3 months and I was too lazy at the time to make a fuss.

I came across this and wondered if it applied to electrical goods.

http://www.euroconsumatori.org/16856v18340d18341.html

seanadams
2007-07-10, 09:15
From the sounds of it, the display might have a bad solder joint which is making the top of the display come on-off as the temperature varies, but that's just a guess.

Actually I think this is something we've seen before and it's most likely a manufacturing defect in a chip which is embedded inside the glass display module. It's not fixable - need to replace it.

JimC
2007-07-10, 09:24
...I came across this and wondered if it applied to electrical goods.

It does.

FYI, we have a 2 year warranty on the Squeezebox, and if he is unable to get the unit with a problem replaced by the retailer, he can contact our European support organization and they would either work with the retailer to correct the issue or replace the product directly.

funkstar
2007-07-10, 12:31
Scan got the unit this morning and have confirmed the fault, said they will raise a new invoice and send me a brand new unit towards the end of the week (which is a bit vague). Will the new unit be warrantied from this new invoice date or my original purchase date?

Fingers crossed this one will be ok!

Thanks,

Mike
Glad you got it all sorted out dude, told you the Scan guys were helpful (saw your thread on HEXUS ;) )

stormy
2007-07-11, 03:08
Thanks, I wont actually be able to try it now till tomorrow :( grrrr. Hope its all ok!

:)

oreillymj
2007-07-11, 03:59
...I came across this and wondered if it applied to electrical goods.

It does.

FYI, we have a 2 year warranty on the Squeezebox, and if he is unable to get the unit with a problem replaced by the retailer, he can contact our European support organization and they would either work with the retailer to correct the issue or replace the product directly

Thanks Jim, I need to make a call to Philips. I wonder why they try to bluff you into thinking that you've only got a 1 yr warranty when this European directive exists.