PDA

View Full Version : More than one music folder

sapnho
2007-07-06, 08:32
I have my library stored on several harddisks. How do I specify more than one music folder in the slim server settings?

snarlydwarf
2007-07-06, 08:34
Make a shortcut (or symlink in Unixese) from the "main" one to subsidiary ones.

sapnho
2007-07-06, 08:36
Hmm, how would I do that in OSX with external harddisks containing the music?

exile
2007-07-06, 09:55
i'm set up with slim on a quicksilver g4 with multiple external drives.

it's pretty easy. surf the web for a symbolic link utility program that will make symbolic link folders. I think i found it on versiontracker and the utility(option to make a symbolic link) resides in the list of options when i control click on a folder.

next, create the symbolic link folder by control clicking on your music folder on your secondary external dirve. drag that new symbolically linked folder into your main music folder. rescan your music in slim. voila, it's done.

good luck.

JJZolx
2007-07-06, 10:53
it's pretty easy. surf the web for a symbolic link utility program that will make symbolic link folders. I think i found it on versiontracker and the utility(option to make a symbolic link) resides in the list of options when i control click on a folder.

Where's the "easy" part in all that? You can't create a link in OS X without a third-party utility?

Just a (very small) bit of advice to the OP: I had to move to using folder links/shortcuts when my music collection outgrew one hard drive. I find this a bit easier to manage if I keep a main music folder that contains nothing but links. You'll get really bizarre SlimServer scanning behavior if you leave forgotten links lying around, or if you create multiple links into folders. Keeping them all in one place, in a folder that doesn't contain music, keeps things a bit neater and easier to troubleshoot.

sapnho
2007-07-06, 11:40
It works! Thanks!

exile
2007-07-06, 12:09
jjzolx-

good of you to throw out a warning. there are problems associated with symbolic links. the problem I discovered was that my trackstat ratings for files that exist in a symbolically linked folder don't translate well when exporting trackstat info to music magic mixer.

but as far as slim activities go, this was one of the easiest things I've ever accomplished. sadly, many slim server maintenance/upgrade actions are a giant pain in the butt. i know others have stated this ad nauseum, but i do feel like an endless beta tester for this product.

4mula1
2007-07-06, 12:12
It seems I am seeing more and more posts about music libraries spread over multiple disks and people having difficulty figuring out how to get SlimServer to see it all. Is it time for SlimServer to have more than one music folder in it's configuration?

JJZolx
2007-07-06, 12:34
It seems I am seeing more and more posts about music libraries spread over multiple disks and people having difficulty figuring out how to get SlimServer to see it all. Is it time for SlimServer to have more than one music folder in it's configuration?

Long overdue, IMO. Just because it's possible using the current methods doesn't make it very user friendly. Please vote:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=607

There are almost too many reasons to list why this would be easier. One that I ran into is that for SlimServer to use a Windows shortcut, it MUST be from the perspective of the SlimServer. If you run a separate server, as more and more people are doing, then you can't easily create the correct shortcut from a PC on the network. You either need to be at the machine's physical console, connect using a remote desktop application, or edit the path in the shortcut after you've created it from another machine.

dhatfield
2008-01-05, 10:17
Bug 607 requests the ability to specify multiple music folders, & the latest update I see in the bug details is that it didn't make it into 6.2. But 6.5.4 is out, so did this feature ever get implemented?

The last time I tried updating past 6.2 I had all kinds of problems getting my music rescanned, but I'd try again if I knew this feature was in there.

danco
2008-01-05, 11:07
Where's the "easy" part in all that? You can't create a link in OS X without a third-party utility?

Sure you can! The issue is that you can create aliases in OS X from the file menu. And for almost all situations aliases are fine. But SlimServer (because of its cross-platform structure) needs symbolic links, which are subtly different from aliases, and are part of the Unix underpinnings of OS X.

So to create a symbolic link without a third party utility, you have to go to Terminal, where Unix commands can be typed. Many people don't like to do that.

Mark Miksis
2008-01-05, 11:44
So to create a symbolic link without a third party utility, you have to go to Terminal, where Unix commands can be typed. Many people don't like to do that.

MacOS has something called an "alias" (which is really a symlink) and can be created using drag and drop as described earlier in this thread.

JJZolx
2008-01-05, 12:25
Bug 607 requests the ability to specify multiple music folders, & the latest update I see in the bug details is that it didn't make it into 6.2. But 6.5.4 is out, so did this feature ever get implemented?

The last time I tried updating past 6.2 I had all kinds of problems getting my music rescanned, but I'd try again if I knew this feature was in there.

No, it's not even in 7.0, which is due out in the near(?) future.

Clungel
2008-01-29, 11:59
MacOS has something called an "alias" (which is really a symlink) and can be created using drag and drop as described earlier in this thread.

An alias in OSX is not the same as a symlink and is also not supported by the Slimserver.
You really need to create a symbolic link to make it work.
I found a small contextual menu plugin that you can use to create these type of links without using the Terminal.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17655

Mark Miksis
2008-01-31, 12:27
An alias in OSX is not the same as a symlink and is also not supported by the Slimserver.

Interesting, I stand corrected. I've never actually used MacOS.

However, I have seen cases where aliases do work. I recall one user (my brother) who has 2 external firewire drives. He added an alias from one to the other and everything just worked. I'm not sure what version of OSX this was. If it matters, it was with SS 6.5 and iTunes.

Rick B.
2008-01-31, 13:29
Once you go to multiple drives you also have the problem of how to deal with adding new albums by artists for which you already have albums by. If Drive A is full then you would need a new artist folder in Drive B. But then you don't have all of the albums by one artist in the same folder.

I solved it by making Drive A hold artists A to L and drive B hold artists M to Z. Of course one day I may need to split into 3!