PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 Skin Question - Latency?

Zten
2007-07-05, 20:44
I am expecting a N770 any day now, but until then I have been playing with the N770 skin using an old laptop computer. I have noticed somthing strange with latency. Using the "default" skin, the SB seems to quickly react to commands from the laptop, skipping songs quite quickly (0.5 or 1 second...). But when I set SS to the N770 Skin, it really seems to slow down. Taking 5 to 10 seconds before it will actually skip to the next song when comanded. Does this make sense? Is this the way it will work when I get the N770? Thanks for any responses.

bklaas
2007-07-05, 20:59
I am expecting a N770 any day now, but until then I have been playing with the N770 skin using an old laptop computer. I have noticed somthing strange with latency. Using the "default" skin, the SB seems to quickly react to commands from the laptop, skipping songs quite quickly (0.5 or 1 second...). But when I set SS to the N770 Skin, it really seems to slow down. Taking 5 to 10 seconds before it will actually skip to the next song when comanded. Does this make sense? Is this the way it will work when I get the N770? Thanks for any responses.

does "old laptop" = "old browser"?

responsiveness should be just the opposite, IMO. You should see a performance *improvement* with N770 skin. And it absolutely shouldn't take 5 to 10 seconds for a song skip. Something odd is afoot there.

#!/ben

Zten
2007-07-06, 06:08
Well, the old laptop is using IE 6.0. Even running the 770 skin in IE that is on my desktop computer (IE7.0), where all the music resides, it is slow.

bklaas
2007-07-06, 07:05
Well, the old laptop is using IE 6.0. Even running the 770 skin in IE that is on my desktop computer (IE7.0), where all the music resides, it is slow.

The first thing I'd try is a different browser than IE. Nokia770 was specifically built with the 770's opera browser in mind, and I know it to also work excellent in Firefox. IE is a notoriously lousy browser that I don't spend a lot (well, any) time on, and it wouldn't be the first time something didn't work in IE that worked everywhere else. Firefox and Opera are both free, so trying it can't hurt...

The other thing I might try is going to Server Settings->Security->CSRF Protection Level and setting it to "None", and see if that does anything.

What slimserver version are you running? Would you consider updating to the most recent 6.5 nightly build?

Sorry, I'm kind of clutching at straws, because everything is very responsive on my system (Slimserver 6.5.2 on Ubuntu).

#!/ben

Zten
2007-07-06, 07:56
Do not apologize! Your help is great. Your 770 skin is cool and I can't wait to use it on the N770 I should be getting any day now. I am running the 6.5.3 nightly (installed on July 2). I will try your other suggestions and let you know.

Rob