PDA

View Full Version : Thunder and lightning

gary
2007-07-04, 12:04
Hello all
We have been having some really thundery weather here in the UK. On Tuesday the next door neighbours house got struck by lightning. The jolt went down his phone line across to mine an knackered a gigabit switch, adsl modem and 2 squeezeboxes, both will connect wirelessly, but will not connect thorough the lan( I have changed the gigabit lan switch back to my old 1) tried a different squeezebox, everything is ok, is the anything I can do to fix the lan side of the boxes?(mark 2/3)
Thanks
Gary

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-04, 12:07
Sounds like a spike went down the LAN network. Unfortunately you should probably contact support at slimdevices dot com. Before you do this at least try a factory reset.

JimC
2007-07-04, 12:09
Hello all
We have been having some really thundery weather here in the UK. On Tuesday the next door neighbours house got struck by lightning. The jolt went down his phone line across to mine an knackered a gigabit switch, adsl modem and 2 squeezeboxes, both will connect wirelessly, but will not connect thorough the lan( I have changed the gigabit lan switch back to my old 1) tried a different squeezebox, everything is ok, is the anything I can do to fix the lan side of the boxes?(mark 2/3)
Thanks
Gary

The odds are good that the lighting traveled the CAT5 and damaged any one of a number of things. Try connecting with new, known good cables to a known good switch... if that works, it's some part of the in-wall wiring that got cooked. If that doesn't, it's very likely that the SB was damaged.

gary
2007-07-04, 12:21
Itís definitely the squeezeboxes. If there is nothing I can do I will have a claim on my insurance.
Thanks

funkstar
2007-07-04, 14:20
Personally i think an insurance claim is your best bet. If they aren't working, then there isn't a lot support will be able to do for you if they are lightening dammaged :)

Ian_F
2007-07-04, 14:36
Does anyone know of any good devices that could stop this sort of damage happening?

I know the general advice is to disconnect everything if a thunderstorm is imminent but sometimes that's just not possible.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-04, 14:50
I've seen surge protectors for Ethernet.

However, some time ago a co-worker's house was hit. They said that the damage was totally random. Some equipment plugged into the most expensive surge protectors was destroyed. Some equipment plugged into cheap surge protectors was fine. Some equipment not protected at all was fine as well. Their conclusion is that it was like they had no surge protectors at all. The damage was totally random.

It's pretty hard to stop an electrical charge that travels a mile or two over thin air...

I'm not convinced that a surge protector will help. I don't think I'll buy anything but the most basic ones from now on. And it seems that most of my damage is caused by the power interruption, often accompanied by a fraction-of-a-second pulse of power again. This destroyed my last computer (connected into an expensive surge protector) and damaged my present one (lost onboard networking).

adamslim
2007-07-04, 15:51
Relax, this is why you pay for insurance. At least you weren't listening via headphones at the time!

gary
2007-07-05, 11:43
I have claimed on my insurance,

thanks again

notanatheist
2007-07-08, 18:38
TrippLite has in inline Ethernet surge protector. Of course I'm a fool and haven't connected mine yet. Though there is very little lightning where I am which is rather depressing because I miss large thunderstorms. Even the desert has better thunder and lightning that what Eugene, Oregon gets.