PDA

View Full Version : Different screensaver whilst playing



Colin Burn-Murdoch
2004-01-09, 14:56
Would it be possible to add an option to have a seperate screen saver whilst playing? What i'd like is to have the clock when the squeezebox isn't in use, but while a track is playing I want to keep the progress visible.

An alternative would be an option to disable the screensaver whilst playing.

Thoughts?

kdf
2004-01-09, 15:03
Quoting Colin Burn-Murdoch <colin (AT) aranion (DOT) com>:

> Would it be possible to add an option to have a seperate screen saver whilst
> playing? What i'd like is to have the clock when the squeezebox isn't in
> use, but while a track is playing I want to keep the progress visible.
>
> An alternative would be an option to disable the screensaver whilst playing.
>
> Thoughts?

This has been requested before. I've been meaning to fix it. I should probably
default to "now playing" as the screensaver while playing, and only fall into
the selected screensaver when stopped.

-kdf

Bill Fenner
2004-01-09, 15:11
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:03:06PM -0800, kdf wrote:
> Quoting Colin Burn-Murdoch <colin (AT) aranion (DOT) com>:
>
> > Would it be possible to add an option to have a seperate screen saver whilst
> > playing?
>
> This has been requested before. I've been meaning to fix it. I should
> probably default to "now playing" as the screensaver while playing,
> and only fall into the selected screensaver when stopped.

I'd like to see that. Another thing I noticed is that the automatic
screen dimming does not seem to occur in 5.0.3 (from CVS yesterday).
Looking at the code, it seems that screen dimming does not occur if
either a screen saver is active or the box is playing, but I want it
to occur in either of those situations. More preferences knobs? =)

Bill

Michael Bowyer
2004-01-10, 01:30
Cool!
I changed the 'now playing' screen saver to the same as the 'Standby'
one, and couldn't tell is the box was on or off!

Also, I've got into watching the progress bar..... but with "Now
Playing (4932 of 4945)" in the display, its not very long!! I edited
the 'Now Playing' string to something shorter, but perhaps the progress
bar could be a 'Now Playing' screen-saver option too?



On 9 Jan 2004, at 23:11, Bill Fenner wrote:

>>
>>> Would it be possible to add an option to have a seperate screen
>>> saver whilst
>>> playing?
>>
>> This has been requested before. I've been meaning to fix it. I
>> should
>> probably default to "now playing" as the screensaver while playing,
>> and only fall into the selected screensaver when stopped.

kdf
2004-01-10, 01:42
Quoting Michael Bowyer <mbowyer (AT) mac (DOT) com>:

> Cool!
> I changed the 'now playing' screen saver to the same as the 'Standby'
> one, and couldn't tell is the box was on or off!
>
> Also, I've got into watching the progress bar..... but with "Now
> Playing (4932 of 4945)" in the display, its not very long!! I edited
> the 'Now Playing' string to something shorter, but perhaps the progress
> bar could be a 'Now Playing' screen-saver option too?
>
if you have your settings to allow the brightness to change automatically, it
should go dim when the screensavertimeout happens. This isn't the case on
startup, of course, since the screensaver depends on at least ONE IR input to
trigger the reference for the timer.

for screensavers, anything is possible. If a plugin is written to show a top
line of "Play: (4932 of 4945) (*****______)" (imagine a proper progress bar
there) then it can be selected as the screensaver.

also, make sure the changes you made to strings.txt to make now playing appear
shorter are saved to slimserver-strings.txt. This way any server upgrades you do
wont overwrite yor customisations.
-kdf