PDA

View Full Version : SB Doesn't Connect to Secure Wireless Net

globaldude
2007-07-03, 20:04
I have a SB which I've used on a secure (128-bit WEP) wireless network for many years. I recently moved and in setting up the SB in my new location, I find that I cannot get it to connect to my wireless network if the network has a 64 or 128 bit key. It connects fine if I remove the security from the network (and the SB setup) ... but ... for obvious reasons, I don't wish to do that. I originally thought it might be the new router (Actiontec M1424WR - connected to a Verizon FIOS feed) rather than the SB, but I connected my old router (Belkin FSD7230-4), with the same settings that worked fine in my old location, and it can't connect to that one either unless I turn off security. Any thoughts? When attempting to connect to the network, the connection process simply times out. Note that my other wireless devices (i.e. laptops) connect fine to either router. Is there any way on the SB to re-initialize any firmware? Thanks for any help! gcb

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-04, 09:54
Someone came up with a trick here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=212315&postcount=12

It's for a different problem, but it may work.

BTW to reset the SB, unplug power, hold "ADD", reconnect power.

globaldude
2007-07-04, 20:58
Mark - thanks... I'll give that a try. In the meantime, I set up the old wireless router in addition to the new one (giving me 2 networks), removed security on the old one, but then set up its internal firewall to only allow the SD MAC address and my laptop's MAC address to pass. That works and with the MAC filtering, I believe it should be adequately secure.

At least my SB is happy now. But I'll try the trick you referenced to see if that helps.

Cheers.
gcb