PDA

View Full Version : FLAC Test Results

audio53
2007-07-03, 19:25
I have had some trouble with music not showing up in my library after a rescan for changed music or a clear and rescan. I have even deleted the Cache directory and restarted SS. (Using Slimserver 6.5_v2007-06-30; EAC ripping to FLAC with the -V switch; proper tags.)

So I tried two different testers...FLAC Tester and AudioTester. I get different results with each. For example, testing my Beethoven directory I get this:
AudioTester 101 files; no errors
FLAC Tester: 108 files; 66 errors; all errors are FLAC_FILE_DECODER_ALREADY_INITIALIZED.
I rescan and some tracks are missing from the library.

Can anybody explain this? Do the testers test compression integrity only, or also the tags?

I only see this problem with classical rips, but why? This is driving me crazy to the point I am no longer using the SB3 for classical.

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,
Bob

ceejay
2007-07-03, 23:20
I have had some trouble with music not showing up in my library after a rescan for changed music or a clear and rescan. I have even deleted the Cache directory and restarted SS. (Using Slimserver 6.5_v2007-06-30; EAC ripping to FLAC with the -V switch; proper tags.)

So I tried two different testers...FLAC Tester and AudioTester. I get different results with each. For example, testing my Beethoven directory I get this:
AudioTester 101 files; no errors
FLAC Tester: 108 files; 66 errors; all errors are FLAC_FILE_DECODER_ALREADY_INITIALIZED.
I rescan and some tracks are missing from the library.

Can anybody explain this? Do the testers test compression integrity only, or also the tags?

I only see this problem with classical rips, but why? This is driving me crazy to the point I am no longer using the SB3 for classical.

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,
Bob

First thing I'd do if I were you would be to make a copy of my Beethoven directory so I could play with it without losing any real data. Point slimserver just at this test directory - it means you can do a full rescan as often as you like without having to wait around.

First, how many flac files are there, really? Use the Find function of Windows explorer to get a definitive answer. Look to see if there are some files in that Beethoven directory which have a different extension than .flac

Next, have a look in the tags: you say they are "proper" but there is a good chance that there is something wrong. Load up the entire directory into mp3tag and sort the tracks in various ways, looking for inconsistencies. Make sure you are looking at ALL the tags, not just the ones that show up in the default columns. (right click a group tracks, select "Tags").

The version of slimserver you're using shouldn't, AFAIK, be suffering from the "COMPOSER" bug but since you mention this is only happening for classical music I guess its possible... if you have COMPOSER tags, rename them to something else using mp3tag.

If none of that leads to any bright ideas then post back here with a full listing of the tag set for a sample track...

HTH
Ceejay

audio53
2007-07-04, 03:36
Thanks, Ceehay.

Going down one of the paths you mentioned ("how many flac files are there really?") I found something interesting.

Windows appears to be not recognizing some files. For example, in the Piano Concerto #5 sub directory, there are three files, but the properties window for that directory says there are zero. Yet the files are there with .flac extensions and I can play them in foobar. They don't show up in my SS library after a scan.

There are really 108 .flac files total in the Beethoven directory. FLAC Tester is seeing all 108, with 66 errors as I mentioned before; AudioTester sees 101 with no errors. There are 7 files Windows is not recognizing when I look at the properties of each sub directory, so there's that bit of math. Mp3Tag sees all 108 files.
I don't see anything unusual in the tags. I have a lot of classical ripped and am very consistent with my tagging. The vast majority of files work fine. I tried deleting the composer tag in the Beethoven directory, but that did not make any difference.

I'm stumped!

Bob

Balthazar_B
2007-07-04, 08:02
Time to check your hard disk with ScanDisk.

Select "My Computer" from the Start menu, right-click on your disk (probably C: unless you have your music files on a separate volume), select Properties, go to the Tools tab, and then under Error Checking, click the Check Now button.

It's extremely rare for this error checking-and-correction operation to damage any files (although if your disk has bad blocks, all bets are off), but it's helpful if you have the important stuff backed up.

Other utilities, from Symantec and others, will do the same check and fix functions.

audio53
2007-07-04, 08:19
I was under the impression Windows (I run XP) allowed file names up to 255 characters. Apparently not. Or maybe only when it wants to. Anyway, when I shortened the file names of the files that were not showing up under properties all was fixed!! No errors and SS found them with a rescan. Mind you, the files names were nowhere near 255 characters and none of the illegal characters were used. It will be a huge amount of work now to check all my file names. Computer audio really has its moments. Glad I still have my CD player. Thanks to all who helped.

Bob

pgnyc
2007-07-04, 09:24
I was under the impression Windows (I run XP) allowed file names up to 255 characters. Apparently not. Or maybe only when it wants to. Anyway, when I shortened the file names of the files that were not showing up under properties all was fixed!! No errors and SS found them with a rescan. Mind you, the files names were nowhere near 255 characters and none of the illegal characters were used. It will be a huge amount of work now to check all my file names. Computer audio really has its moments. Glad I still have my CD player. Thanks to all who helped.

Bob

Hi,
do some research but i think the 255 size include the path.
so c:\folder\folder\name.flac has to be < 256

Pascal

SuperQ
2007-07-04, 10:14
Hi,
do some research but i think the 255 size include the path.
so c:\folder\folder\name.flac has to be < 256

Pascal

That may depend on if you're using Fat32 or NTFS. I think because of the way Fat32 is designed the full path limit is 255.

NTFS shouldn't have this problem.

Ahh.. here's some more info I found:

The real issue is the fact that different parts of windows limit MAX_PATH to 260 to make things backwards compatible with old applications (think Win16). It might be something Slim guys could fix in their code to use a larger MAX_PATH when compiling C applications.

See these references:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.57363.31
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_dewey/archive/2004/01/19/60263.aspx

audio53
2007-07-04, 11:47
I am using NTFS. But, if I consider the entire path as mentioned I guess some of the classical file names could have exceeded 255 by the time one takes into consideration directory name, album name and movement name. Classical can get a bit wordy. Ugh!

Thanks again.

Bob