PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Slim Server via PSP

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 09:27
Hi All,
I am looking to use a play station personal with the Nokia 770 skin to control slim server and so also my squeezebox. I don't want to stream anything to the psp I would like to use it as a wifi enabled remote.A little like the Sonos ...
My set up is this: an old IBM laptop running Slim Server connected to my Squeezebox via an ethernet cable. the laptop also has a wireless connection to the internet via a netgear modem router. Is there a way to navigate to my slim server from any computer on the network and my psp? I have tried localhost:9000 which is the address on the laptops webpage displaying slimserver but without success.
Im sure this is a basic networking problem but my knowlage of networking and settings is very limited.

Thanks in advance

Jim Ascroft

snarlydwarf
2007-07-03, 09:33
"localhost" is "the machine I am running on". Think of it as "myself" from the device point of view.

So for something other than the machine slimserver is on, "myself" isn't going to work. Replace that with the IP number of the machine itself, which will most likely be something like http://192.168.1.2:9000/ or similar.

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 09:55
Hi There,
Thanks for the reply.
I should have said my Slim Server version is 6.5.1 and from basic settings my Server IP is 127.0.0.1

I cant connect at http://127.0.0.1:9000/ because it could not connect to the server 127.0.0.1. as stated on Safari

Regards

Jim

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-03, 10:25
127.0.0.1 is the same as localhost. You need to find the 192.168.x.x address of SlimServer.

It should be at the bottom of the Server Settings - Basic Settings page.

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 12:46
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the help as you said it runs on http://192.168.0.8:9000/. I will now have a look at the psp using the Nokia 770 skin.

Thanks

JIm

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 13:26
Hi all,

I have my Squeezebox connected to my laptop as described above. When I go through setup I get the option Specify static ip or obtain ip automatically. when I select the auto option I get the message could not find dhcp server. Also the slimserver shows your player was not found.

As the squeezebox is connected via ethernet should it be assigned a static ip ?

any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
JIm

bpa
2007-07-03, 13:40
I don't have a PSP but when you have a connection working, it might be worth looking at this thread which is a PSP skin
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35993

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 15:03
Hi all,

I understand that I should use "obtain ip automatically" Is this something to do with the squeezebox being ethernet connected to the laptop server?
But I am still getting the error "could not find dhcp server"

Thanks
JIm

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-03, 15:04
Hi all,

I have my Squeezebox connected to my laptop as described above. When I go through setup I get the option Specify static ip or obtain ip automatically. when I select the auto option I get the message could not find dhcp server. Also the slimserver shows your player was not found.

As the squeezebox is connected via ethernet should it be assigned a static ip ?

Thanks
JIm

This is a completely separate issue - are you saying your SB isn't working?

Connecting it directly to a PC is considered an ad-hoc network. You're depending entirely on the PC to provide routing and DHCP. It appears that your PC doesn't have a DHCP server. Try a static address. BTW, static and DHCP are at a higher level than wired/wireless, both work over wired or wireless.

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 15:23
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the help.
I should explain my SB3 history briefly. I had a Netgear wirless modem router I changed Broadband suppliers here in the uk and had to use supplied Sky netgear router it uses encryption and password access. My squeezebox has not been able to communicate since the change and Iam getting the error message. It worked fine with the last router which was without password or encryption access. Could this be the issue?
regards

Jim

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-03, 15:31
Oh - so you have your SB connected directly to your laptop because you can't connect to your wireless network?

<rant> When will ISPs realize YOU own your LAN?</rant>

Anyway, can you get to your router setup page? Should be http://<router IP address> in your browser. You can change all the settings there.

How is your laptop connecting then? Can't you use the same settings on your SB?

This should really be in a separate thread because the issue has nothing to do with the PSP. Your SB and PSP will never work with your wireless network until you can find out what your encryption settings are. Any responsible ISP should have supplied the encryption key to you - it's something you absolutely must have in order to access "their" router.

jimascroft
2007-07-03, 15:53
Hi Mark,
again thanks.
To clarify. i can connect to my isps router, and so the internet, with my psp and 2 imacs and the ibm laptop thats running slimserver. I was assuming that as the Squeezebox had an ethernet connection to the laptop it would use its wireless connection to the netgear router. I have the network key and ssid.
Will I still need to put the network key into the squeezebox settings?

Regards

Jim

jimascroft
2007-07-04, 03:59
Hi all,

Thanks for your help.
I can now control my slim server remotely from other networked macs. I will start a new thread for PSP controller stuff questions.