PDA

View Full Version : Which router?

Broosta
2007-07-03, 09:06
Hi,
sorry if the info I'm after is already on here but I can't find it if it is.

I am about to buy a Squeezebox, but not sure which wireless router to get. I have an adsl wired router at present but wish to connect the SB wirelessly to my pc.

Do I need to replace my current router (Zyxel Prestige 600 series)with a wireless one or should I get something to attach to it that creates a wireless network (WAP?). My router is getting on a bit so I'm not that fussed about keeping it if I would get better sound quality with a new one.

I have tried to see if there is a favoured wireless router but the choice seems endless. I understand the SB uses 802.11b and g with g being better but what about n which seems better still?

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-03, 10:22
Any 802.11b router or better will work, but you would be highly advised to get an 802.11g router that can handle WPA or WPA2 encryption.

802.11n isn't necessary (it's draft 802.11n at this point), but most of those routers use a multiple antenna arrangement called MIMO which will increase range and increase bandwidth at long ranges. Some advanced 802.11g routers use MIMO - you can get all the benefits of increased range and increased bandwidth at long range without the risk of going with a technology that may potentially change (802.11n is due to be ratified in September 2008 but that may be pushed back and it may change before then, so you'd be stuck with incompatible hardware.)

Broosta
2007-07-03, 16:39
Cool thanks, so I'm looking for an 802.11g wireless router then.
Any recommendations?

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-03, 16:49
They're all compatible with the Squeezebox now.

On this forum I see complaints about:

- Draytek (lots and lots of complaints)
- Belkin

Personally I have a Linksys WRT54G v4, but they're on the v8 (?) now and quality/capability has declined substantially since the v4. They still sell the v4 as a "WRT54GL". It's an old design and doesn't use MIMO, but does have WPA/WPA2.

jth
2007-07-03, 17:10
I'd recommend getting a Linksys WRT54GL and flashing it with the dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices) firmware. The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has slightly better range if you've got a large space to cover and is also compatible with dd-wrt.

peterw
2007-07-03, 18:30
You might look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus

servies
2007-07-03, 23:47
They're all compatible with the Squeezebox now.

On this forum I see complaints about:

- Draytek (lots and lots of complaints)
- Belkin

Personally I have a Linksys WRT54G v4, but they're on the v8 (?) now and quality/capability has declined substantially since the v4. They still sell the v4 as a "WRT54GL". It's an old design and doesn't use MIMO, but does have WPA/WPA2.

Personally I have a Draytek Vigor 2900G and have never had a problem with it. Maybe it is a bit more complicated to setup but for that you get a router that also can act as a VPN server and client.

killie99
2007-07-04, 01:46
I see you are already using a Zyxel, if you like it then i'd recommend any of the 660 models. I have the 660HW and it is rock solid, has great range and has plenty of user configurable options.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-04, 07:06
Personally I have a Draytek Vigor 2900G and have never had a problem with it. Maybe it is a bit more complicated to setup but for that you get a router that also can act as a VPN server and client.

Don't shoot the messenger, but if you search the forum there are persistent complaints about Draytek going back 18 months or so and continuing to very recently. I'm just passing on info. I have no axe to grind, that brand isn't even available here. It does really stand out disproportionate to its availability in terms of problems reported to this forum.

Incidentally the DD-WRT firmware I use in my WRT54G v4 also has a VPN server and client.

bpa
2007-07-04, 07:44
If you want to listen to BBC "Listen Again" through PC or through AlienBBC then do NOT choose the new Apple Airport Extreme.

For some reason this router blocks the RealAudio streams over RTSP.

4mula1
2007-07-04, 10:06
Do I need to replace my current router (Zyxel Prestige 600 series)with a wireless one or should I get something to attach to it that creates a wireless network (WAP?). My router is getting on a bit so I'm not that fussed about keeping it if I would get better sound quality with a new one.

Which model is it? I have the 642R which handles my DHCP and NAT firewall. It also makes NAT traversal easy for remote streaming.

You don't necessarily need a Wi-Fi router, you could use an access point (as I do). But if you want to clear up a little clutter you can get a router (the Linksys WRT54G works well) and not use the WAN port, just plug everything into the ethernet switch. That would eliminate the need for an ethernet switch (unless you need more than 4 ports).

I setup my parents (who also have the Prestige 642R) with the WRT54G and don't use the WAN port and everything works great. The only ethernet devices they have are the PC and dsl router, so 4 ports is sufficient for them. Plus the router is cheaper than the AP.

In hindsight I should've picked up the router instead of the AP, but only because it would've given me an addition 3 ethernet ports for the future, not to mention I would've saved about 30USD.

Broosta
2007-07-04, 18:08
Thanks for great response guys.

I've heard good things about the Belkin G+ Mimo Router F5D9230UK4. I like the idea that its new technology and therefore slightly future proof with good signal strength as my house is old and solid. I also like the idea of one box containing modem and networking bits. I can get hold of it in many local shops for 70, and I wish I could walk into somewhere to get the Squeezbox too but gonna have to get it online instead for 200 (hate waiting for stuff once I've decided to buy!).

My current router is the Zyxel Prestige 650HW which has served me well for the last 3-4yrs but is now old and due for retirement.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-04, 21:20
My current router is the Zyxel Prestige 650HW which has served me well for the last 3-4yrs but is now old and due for retirement.

Well, not so fast - does it use 802.11g? Does it have WPA/WPA2?

If so you might want to at least try it out.

The Linksys WRT54G v4 or WRT54GL design mentioned a couple of times in this thread is older than that.

servies
2007-07-04, 23:55
Don't shoot the messenger, but if you search the forum there are persistent complaints about Draytek going back 18 months or so and continuing to very recently. I'm just passing on info. I have no axe to grind, that brand isn't even available here. It does really stand out disproportionate to its availability in terms of problems reported to this forum.
Hmmm, there apparantly was a problem with the Draytek 2800 router which is fixed and in a lot of the topics I see you saying that Draytek is bad (and that is the only reference to Draytek in these cases). Maybe we should shoot the messenger ;-)

Incidentally the DD-WRT firmware I use in my WRT54G v4 also has a VPN server and client.
Yeah, but you had to install a third party firmware for that and that is way to complicated for 99.99% of the people...

4mula1
2007-07-05, 03:18
I've heard good things about the Belkin G+ Mimo Router F5D9230UK4. I like the idea that its new technology and therefore slightly future proof with good signal strength as my house is old and solid. I also like the idea of one box containing modem and networking bits.

A quick look at the specs on that Belkin router shows that it does not contain an ADSL modem. You will still need your Prestige to handle your internet connection.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-05, 05:41
Hmmm, there apparantly was a problem with the Draytek 2800 router which is fixed and in a lot of the topics I see you saying that Draytek is bad (and that is the only reference to Draytek in these cases). Maybe we should shoot the messenger ;-)

Really? I think this is the second time I've said this and was shouted down both times by the Draytek fans...

Broosta
2007-07-05, 07:06
Well, not so fast - does it use 802.11g? Does it have WPA/WPA2?

If so you might want to at least try it out.

The Linksys WRT54G v4 or WRT54GL design mentioned a couple of times in this thread is older than that.

Its only 802.11b and doesn't have WPA/WPA2 so its not exactly cutting edge technology we're talking here!

Broosta
2007-07-05, 07:54
A quick look at the specs on that Belkin router shows that it does not contain an ADSL modem. You will still need your Prestige to handle your internet connection.

Oops! Well spotted. I missed that as I had been looking at reviews including the version with a built in modem (F5D9630), but then whilst researching the modem included model it seems to have loads of bad reports so still searching for the ultimate wireless modem router.

Siduhe
2007-07-05, 08:08
I have a Netgear DG834N modem/router. Not cheap, but works amazingly well. I was previously very sceptical about Netgear kit (and would certainly recommend you have a look at Belkin gear) - but this was easy to set up, has great range, and works straight out of the box with no conflicts so far - although I did have to reinstall the firmware once, as it went through a two day mad period of rebooting for no apparent reason. Since then (touch wood) it's been just dandy.

Previously using a Belkin (a F5D7632uk4A) with no complaints - but the range on the Netgear is much better - we have pretty thick walls at home!

servies
2007-07-05, 23:46
It could be clever to keep the modem separated from the router. I have a modem and a separate router for the following reason:
There are 2 types of ADSL lines here in the Netherlands:
over PSTN
over ISDN
And then there is the possibility to gain internet access by the cable company which would require yet another type of routermodem.
Btw most ISPs here give you a modem for use on their network.

Broosta
2007-07-06, 05:08
I have a Netgear DG834N modem/router. Not cheap, but works amazingly well. I was previously very sceptical about Netgear kit (and would certainly recommend you have a look at Belkin gear) - but this was easy to set up, has great range, and works straight out of the box with no conflicts so far - although I did have to reinstall the firmware once, as it went through a two day mad period of rebooting for no apparent reason. Since then (touch wood) it's been just dandy.

Previously using a Belkin (a F5D7632uk4A) with no complaints - but the range on the Netgear is much better - we have pretty thick walls at home!

I've had a look at the Netgear you have, nice but a bit pricey at 94 with quite a few reported difficulties in setting it up so even tho you found it ok eventually, I might be one of the unlucky ones whos problems don't go away. I think I might opt for the next version down - Netgear DG834PN RangeMax MIMO-G Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4-port 10/100 switch - 69 with usb adapter.
Seems like a fair compromise.
Anyone have any experience of these?

killie99
2007-07-06, 05:17
The netgear PN is ok, only had 1 fail at a customer (the PS failed). They're great at holding an ADSL connection on a noisy line, didn't find their claims of increased wireless coverage to be up to much and they appeared to be no better or worse than other standard wireless points I've used. The supplied free USB dongle is pretty pants, I always encourage my customers to use the on board wireless on their laptops as it'll still be more reliable at 54mbps than the freebie (even though the freebie supports higher transfer rates - yeah right!).
I wouldn't swap my Zyxel 660 for one though :)

avta
2007-07-06, 07:14
I'm using a Netgear Rangemax with an SB2. No problems at all. Previously had an older Netgear wireless router which worked fine but the distance between my router and computer caused some problems which are no longer an issue. I would have no difficulty recommending their products.
Guy

Broosta
2007-07-07, 06:00
Ok that sounds good enough for me considering no product seems to get a unanimous thumbs up! Many thanks for all the help and advice you've all given me and I think the time has come to go and buy the SB3 and the Netgear DG834PN RangeMax. Wish me luck, I'm going in!