PDA

View Full Version : Possible Hard Drive problem?

norderney
2007-07-02, 12:27
Over the last couple of days I have been experiencing problems ripping new music files using EAC.

It seems to take much longer than usual to rip my selected music tracks, and I can hear a lot more hard disk activity than usual, as if my hard drive is struggling!!!

However, I still have no problem playing music through my SqueezeBox 1.

Are there any utilities that are recommended for checking hard drives, so I can see if there is a problem or not!!!

I am running with Windows Vista Ultimate, and my hard drive is a 750Gb drive in a USB2 HDD Enclosure. The 750Gb is only half full and only contains my music files.

norderney
2007-07-02, 12:37
I have tried ripping music files to a different hard drive and this works fine, so it would appear that I have some sort of problem with my hard drive!!!

ceejay
2007-07-02, 12:54
I don't know how Vista handles this, but is it possible that DMA has been turned off for that drive? I know that XP, if it spots "too many" errors, will turn it off withut asking you, and that can really make it work hard and slow.

Ceejay

norderney
2007-07-02, 13:55
It certainly sounds as if the hard drive is being made to work hard!!

I cannot find any reference to Enable or Disable DMA for this drive. I went to Device Manager, then selected Disk drives, then selected the hard drive in the USB2 Enclosure. But there does not seem to be any way to enable or disable DMA for this drive.

Does this still apply for a hard drive in a USB2 HDD Enclosure?

Even just copying files onto this drive take a long time.

tyler_durden
2007-07-02, 15:50
Have you tried defragmenting it?

TD

norderney
2007-07-02, 15:52
Have you tried defragmenting it?

TD

Yes, I have !!!!