PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help me hook up an old Ibook.

glammguy
2007-06-30, 18:52
Hi!..I have an ancient duel USB IBook. I want to connect it to a squeezebox and rock out my stereo system.
The IBook is NOT wireless.
It has one ethernet connection.
I've got a Time Warner cable modem and broadband router connected to my main computer.
On the OTHER side of the house there's a cable jack near the sound system, but no separate cable modem.
I'm brain-dead and haven't a clue as to what I NEED to add to the IBook and squeezebox to make it happen.
ALSO, does the squeezebox work better with an ethernet connection?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Pale Blue Ego
2007-06-30, 20:38
You would need to plug the iBook into the router using an ethernet cable, then run another ethernet cable to the Squeezebox.

OR

You would need to plug the iBook into the router using an ethernet cable, then use a pair of HomePlug adapters to send the network signal to the other side of the house near the Squeezebox.

OR

Get a wireless router and connect it to the broadband router. Plug the iBook into the router and connect to the Squeezebox wirelessly

glammguy
2007-06-30, 20:56
I'm just reading up on home plug adaptors!!

Wish I could run an ethernet cable but I live in a post and beam house that's impossible to wire!

Connecting a wireless router to the existing broadband router makes sense.

Thanks again!

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-01, 07:51
ALSO, does the squeezebox work better with an ethernet connection?

The Squeezebox will only work better wired if your wireless bandwidth is too low, otherwise, there's no difference.

Make sure to have at least one of the connections wired, i.e. iBook to the router or router to Squeezebox. If you keep both wireless, it might work, and does for some people, but you're pushing it.

In summary:

- both wired will work

- one wired should work

- both wireless might work

glammguy
2007-07-01, 09:29
I'm way behind in wireless tech, and I've been all over the net reading about connections,..so what you say makes sense!
Sounds like my best bet would be to connect the Ibook to the router and go wireless to the squeezebox, which will take care of the distance to the sound system.
THANKS AGAIN!