PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 upgrade

jeremy.newell@blueyonder.co.uk
2007-06-29, 05:48
Hi all,

Just bought my first Squeezebox 3 (and first post on forum) Iím absolutely thrilled by it. But although not the most technically minded I do love good hifi, and Iím already interested in getting every last drop of performance from my Squeezebox.
I've heard about changing the power supply and fitting an external DAC could someone suggest anything? Current system Creek amp & headphone amp Linn Genki cd player & monitor audio SE 20ís speakers
Cheers Jez UK

jjazz
2007-06-29, 07:28
Check the audiophile section. There are endless posts about power supply and DAC upgrades. You could probably spend the better part of a week reading through all of them.

mvalera
2007-06-29, 13:44
If really you want to upgrade your sound, spend time making sure your amp is passing the analog signal without trying to run it thru another DSP/DAC, and maybe upgrade your speakers. Then re-rip all your content to a lossless format... take your pick they're all better than lossy.

All time much better spent then "upgrading" your power supply IMO. :P

YMMV,

Mike

bad.wolf
2007-07-03, 10:00
Russ Andrews do a 5v PowerPak11 specifically for the SB3 which Iíve taken the plunge and ordered, together with their PowerMax Cable. It works out at a cool £90 plus upgrade so Iím expecting reasonable results. Will post findings when its up and running. Many thanks one and all.
Jez uk

Phil Leigh
2007-07-03, 10:18
Hi all,

Just bought my first Squeezebox 3 (and first post on forum) Iím absolutely thrilled by it. But although not the most technically minded I do love good hifi, and Iím already interested in getting every last drop of performance from my Squeezebox.
I've heard about changing the power supply and fitting an external DAC could someone suggest anything? Current system Creek amp & headphone amp Linn Genki cd player & monitor audio SE 20ís speakers
Cheers Jez UK

Jez - what cables between SB3 & Creek? - good cables can be had for £150 or less (eg Chord, Kimber) and would be my first port of call (plus what Mike said). Also set the SB volume to max and use the Creek to control level.
Phil

bad.wolf
2007-07-03, 11:29
Hi Phil, currently using QED QUNEX SILVER SPIRAL interconnects which I paid about £100 for, but I think you can get them for a lot less now, bit old hat? Itís the one area Iím thinking of changing next. A friends got the Chords and really rates them, so maybe. Cheers Jez

Phil Leigh
2007-07-03, 11:50
Hi Phil, currently using QED QUNEX SILVER SPIRAL interconnects which I paid about £100 for, but I think you can get them for a lot less now, bit old hat? Itís the one area Iím thinking of changing next. A friends got the Chords and really rates them, so maybe. Cheers Jez

Jez. Cool - but don't spend too much on cables! Chord Anthem 2's are v good IMHO - probably shoudn't go any higher-end than that.
Cheers
Phil