PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive problems

Kyle
2007-06-28, 13:51
My USB hard drive where my music files are located is intermittently not recognized by my Windows XP computer. I've tried it on two laptops. Sometimes you plug it in and everything is fine. Then, you plug it in and the computer says the USB device is not recognized. When it is working, I've done a disk check, and it checks out fine. I've written Fantom (the manufacturer) for tech support. Any other suggestions?

jonheal
2007-06-28, 16:12
My USB hard drive where my music files are located is intermittently not recognized by my Windows XP computer. I've tried it on two laptops. Sometimes you plug it in and everything is fine. Then, you plug it in and the computer says the USB device is not recognized. When it is working, I've done a disk check, and it checks out fine. I've written Fantom (the manufacturer) for tech support. Any other suggestions?

I've had two el cheapo 3.5" USB external hard drive enclosures crap out on me. I suggest trying another case. Macally cases are really nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817146601

haunyack
2007-06-28, 16:46

Microsoft has numerable articles (with fixes) concerning USB device malfunction while running XP.
In lieu of posting all the appropriate links here...have you checked the MS Knowledge Base?

egd
2007-06-29, 21:06
I've purchased two of these http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77150 and found them to be very reliable using either the USB or eSATA interface. To top it off they've got a fan in the casing which manages to keep the drive cool even when large-scale copy operations are underway. It can also be placed flat or on its side (bracket supplied) and can handle any size SATAI/SATAII drive so it would not be inconceivable to run a 1TB Seagate in the enclosure and thus have a portable audio library.