PDA

View Full Version : minimum cpu requirements?

jblotz
2007-06-28, 06:06
I run Slimserver on a P3-933 with 256K RAM and a wireless B router. My SB2 and SB3 (both wireless) work great. What are the absolute minimum system requirements?

mherger
2007-06-28, 06:17
> I run Slimserver on a P3-933 with 256K RAM and a wireless B router. My
> SB2 and SB3 (both wireless) work great. What are the absolute minimum
> system requirements?

There's no absolute minimum. I'm sure you can run it on a Pentium 90MHz if
you want. But it's no fun.

About the lowest spec I know people are using are 200MHz ARM processors as
used in many NAS devices. But they're known to be slow.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

robertlewisca
2007-06-28, 08:13
I'm currently running it on a P3 733 Mhz with 384 mb of RAM. XP OS, Slimserver, Hamachi and CA Anti-virus are the only things running on it, and it's a dedicated server for music. Works great, no problems with slow remote command response, no complaints whatsoever!

kkitts
2007-06-28, 08:41
I ran slimserver on a SUSE Linux server on a Pentiumm II/266 (384M Ram) for awhile. I disabled all of the GUI and all unneeded processes so that just about the only thing the machine was doing was running slimserver. I *was* using a wired 100mbps network connection, though, which may have helped. I found most operations ran just fine.

However, as my library got larger and I added new mp3s the time to "rescan" the library and find the new music was a bit annoying. At the end, I would typically rescan and then go to bed... ;-) Everything completed by morning.

I finally upgraded to an AMD sempron/Linux based system which also works great. However, I'm dismayed that at times (even when playing music back) the system states "100% idle" - the system is vast overkill for the processing it is doing most of the time... ;-)