Yes, I am getting an iphone . . . I can't help myself!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowboxer
    • Nov 2006

Friday, like a stupid old fool, standing in line at the AT&T store.....

Anyway,
    posting here to let all know that I will as one of the first things try it out as a slimserver remote!! I can't wait to see how the safari browser works with the slimserver.

-dale
  • EnochLight
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by shadowboxer
    I can't wait to see how the safari browser works with the slimserver.
    From what I've read (especially in the David Pogue/New York Times review), using it via WiFi is very fast so it should work nicely as a Slim remote. However, AT&T's Edge network is absolute ass, as you can wait in upwards of 100+ seconds for some pages to render. That's slower than a Windows 95 box on dial-up over 10 years ago!

Bottom line is: browsing the web in a WiFi hotspot is awesome. Browsing via AT&T's Edge network anywhere that you can actually obtain a signal on AT&T's craptastic network is like pouring lemon juice into a paper cut.

I've also read phone-call quality is "meh", and that it takes up to 6 inputs just to make a phone call. Way to go Apple!

Still, I'd like to have one too... if for anything the cool-factor. ;-P

Comment

• Eric Seaberg
      • Oct 2006

I've used my BlackBerry to control SS over AT&T (Cingular) EDGE without too many problems. EDGE isn't really that bad... it's certainly better than a 56k modem!!
      Eric Seaberg - San Diego
      A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
      [email protected]

Comment

• Regnad
        • Jul 2005

I use a Nokia N800 and it's great but won't handle Squeezenetwork and Pandora. Will the iPhone?

It has no flash or java, right?

I am trying to talk myself out of getting one. Can you help?

Comment

• Jonathan Miller
          • Apr 2005

No flash or java. Lots of hype and geek lust, and yes I might buy one.

On 6/27/07, Regnad <Regnad.2svjr01183011302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
          wrote:
          >
          >
          > I use a Nokia N800 and it's great but won't handle Squeezenetwork and
          > Pandora. Will the iPhone?
          >
          > It has no flash or java, right?
          >
          > I am trying to talk myself out of getting one. Can you help?
          >
          >
          > --
          > Regnad
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > Regnad's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1015
          > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36438
          >
          >

Comment

• Michael Herger
            Babelfish's Best Boy
            • Apr 2005

What's wrong with it on Squeezenetwork?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
            http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
            (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• EnochLight
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Eric Seaberg
              EDGE isn't really that bad... it's certainly better than a 56k modem!!
              I'd say that's a stretch... ;-) Seriously though, Blackberry's browser compared to iPhone's full HTML Safari is like night and day. That said, iPhone's speed over Edge is probably related to the fact that it's rendering pages in all their glory..sans Flash and Java, that is... :-(

Comment

• Jonathan Miller
                • Apr 2005

There are some huge holes in that glory without Flash and Java. (sad glory
                hole joke, couldn't resist)

On 6/27/07, EnochLight <
                EnochLight.2svkfz1183012201 (AT) no-...limdevices.com> wrote:
                >
                >
                > Eric Seaberg;211326 Wrote:
                > > EDGE isn't really that bad... it's certainly better than a 56k modem!!

>
                > I'd say that's a stretch... ;-) Seriously though, Blackberry's
                > browser compared to iPhone's full HTML Safari is like night and day.
                > That said, iPhone's speed over Edge is probably related to the fact
                > that it's rendering pages in all their glory..sans Flash and Java, that
                > is... :-(
                >
                >
                > --
                > EnochLight
                > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > EnochLight's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3392
                > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36438
                >
                >

Comment

• bklaas
                  Ne'er-do-well, Vagabond
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Michael Herger

What's wrong with it on Squeezenetwork?
                  The current released version of Slimserver cannot control Squeezenetwork via the web interface. That won't be any different on any skin or any browser. If the iPhone can do it, it truly is a magical device.

cheers,
                  #!/ben
                  Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
                  Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Comment

• Michael Herger
                    Babelfish's Best Boy
                    • Apr 2005

> The current released version of Slimserver cannot control
                    > Squeezenetwork via the web interface.

Hmmm... what about http://www.squeezenetwork.com - no need for slimserver.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
                    http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• azinck3
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bklaas
                      The current released version of Slimserver cannot control Squeezenetwork via the web interface. That won't be any different on any skin or any browser. If the iPhone can do it, it truly is a magical device.

cheers,
                      #!/ben
                      But isn't Michael asking about squeezenetwork.com? The N800 works fine there, right?

edit: just saw Michael's post
                      1x SB1, 3x SB1g, 1x SB2, 1x SB3, 2x Booms

Comment

• bklaas
                        Ne'er-do-well, Vagabond
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Michael Herger
                        > The current released version of Slimserver cannot control
                        > Squeezenetwork via the web interface.

Hmmm... what about http://www.squeezenetwork.com - no need for slimserver.
                        I was assuming the original poster was talking about controlling squeezenetwork from the Nokia770 skin. I'm also going to act like I knew about squeezenetwork.com

cheers,
                        #!/ben
                        Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
                        Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Comment

• shadowboxer
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jonathan Miller
                          No flash or java. Lots of hype and geek lust, and yes I might buy one.

Indeed. I am a smartphone geek from way back (sph-i300, sph-i330, sph-i500, HTC Universal, HTC Hermes, PPC 6700, and finally treo 650)

I agree, some glaring holes in the overall picture, many of which I am hoping Apple will patch up with software updates, but oh the utlimate geeky glory of the device is just too much to resist..... :-D

Comment

• funkstar
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by shadowboxer
                            but oh the utlimate geeky glory of the device is just too much to resist..... :-D
                            I dissagree. Geeks know when a phone is a load of old tosh with a distinct lack of features that are used every day by thousands, or indeed millions of people.

What the iPhone _doesn't_ have:
                            • Songs as Ringtones
                            • Games
                            • Any flash support
                            • Instant Messaging
                            • Picture messages (MMS)
                            • Video recording
                            • Voice recognition or voice dialing
                            • Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
                            • One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

Stuff we already knew it didn't have
                            • 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)
                            • GPS
                            • A real keyboard
                            • Removable battery
                            • Expandable Storage
                            • Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)

• Songs as Ringtones • Games • Any flash support • Instant Messaging • Picture messages (MMS) • Video recording • Voice recognition or voice dialing • Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP) • One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

Apple programmers are just amazing! Their software takes up 700MB of the 8GB storage on the thing and it _still_ misses out on those features!

Well, the first reviews are in. But you may have missed some of the more interesting factoids unearthed by the trio of gadget reporters deigned worthy by El Jobso to get a pre-launch iPhone. Here's a few fresh n' interesting iPhone facts right off the presses: The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son! Update: we think Pogue got this wrong, we don't really know exactly how much space mobile OS X uses, but it's nowhere near 700MB. There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake. No A2DP support. That, friends, is such a huge bummer right there. Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch. On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice. It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how. Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only). Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that. It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there? More after the break!

pfft!

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
                            In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Comment

• 4mula1
                              • Jan 2006

And it has a built in SIM for your convenience. I'll pass. If I can't SIM swap it's not welcome in my house.

My Siemens SX1 may be long in the tooth now, but the iPhone isn't going to be it's replacement. Perhaps the N95 when the cost becomes a bit more reasonable...

Comment

Working...