PDA

View Full Version : Homeplugs and SlimServer connections

Peanut
2007-06-27, 06:35
Hello all,

Would love to have some expert advice on the following.

We have an iMac on the third floor, and want to use our SB3 on the groundfloor. Wireless has been nothing short from disastrous (even with the new n-standard Airport Base Station), given the distance and fact that the entire staircase is aluminium.

So an attractive option seemed to be homeplugs (bought four 85MBS Devolo plugs). They work extremely well ... except for connecting to the Slimserver!!

Current network setup:

3rd floor: ADSL modem wired through Homeplug; iMac wired through Homeplug (fast and perfect internet connection on the iMac)

2nd floor: Homeplug to use laptop in bedroom ... perfect internet connection

ground floor: SB connected to Homeplug and powered Harman Kardon speakers; perfect SqueezeNetwork connection without dropout; BUT .... no slimserver connection!!

Am at a total loss here! Thanks in advance!!

Marcus

mherger
2007-06-27, 06:49
> So an attractive option seemed to be homeplugs (bought four 85MBS
> Devolo plugs). They work extremely well ... except for connecting to
> the Slimserver!!

Could you please give us the IP configuration of all of your devices (less
the laptop - only the SlimServer machine)?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

egd
2007-06-27, 06:51
Seems all your devices can see the Internet, but nothing internally. As others in these forums will attest to, I'm no networking buff, but I suspect the problem lies in your ADSL router configuration blocking traffic passing between devices.

bpa
2007-06-27, 06:58
Is you ADSL modem just a modem or a router as well ?
Where is the DHCP server ?
What is the IP address and gateway address of the modem, iMac, the laptop and Squeezebox.

Peanut
2007-06-27, 07:30
Whoa! Slow down, folks! :)

Am at the office at the moment, so can't provide the details you all requested. Will need to look into it this evening and will get back to you all (if I can find everything you asked for, as I'm pretty much a non-techie).

But one quick question: if my modem is only that and not a router, do I have a problem? Because I am pretty sure it is only a modem ....

In the meantime, thanks for the feedback so far!

bpa
2007-06-27, 08:11
If there is no router then all devices must be in the same subnet to communicate with each other.

If there is no router there may not be a DHCP server, in which case the devices will use default IP addresses and there is no guarantee the default addresses will be all on the same subnet.

slimpy
2007-06-27, 09:15
If there is no router then all devices must be in the same subnet to communicate with each other.

If there is no router there may not be a DHCP server, in which case the devices will use default IP addresses and there is no guarantee the default addresses will be all on the same subnet.
If all devices can access the internet and the modem doesn't have a built-in router they must get their IP addresses from the ISP's DHCP server. I think most ISPs limit the number of concurrent public IP addresses you can obtain to 1 or 2, but not necessarily.
Post the IP addresses of your devices and it should be easy to tell if they are public or private.
If all your devices connect directly to the internet (public IP) you do have a security problem. Security holes can more easily be exploited if there is no router/firewall that prevents direct access to your computers. Also, everyone can access the slimserver web interface to play around with the server, change settings, download your music, etc.

-s.

Heuer
2007-06-27, 09:52
Certainly not a Devolo problem as I have an SB3, Transporter, Security Cameras and two TiVo's connected through them - all working at the same time.

The Mac should act as a 'master' DHCP server so you need to check it is there and working (and the Mac is switched on when using the SB3!). My only experience is of PC's but you should be able to get the ipconfig from the Apple and work back from there. Alternatively you could use some LAN software (look@lan works great on a PC, no idea if there is a Mac version) to detect what is going on the network. Best fix would be to buy a cheap Router though.