PDA

View Full Version : Remote codes?

jdryyz
2007-06-26, 09:40
I have some vague recollection that the coding for the Squeezebox2's remote control is the same as another popular consumer electronics brand. Can anyone tell me what that brand is?

I recently picked up a Universal Remote RF10 and while in the process of programming the unit for all of my devices, I discovered that the default coding used for the DVD input is the same as my Squeezebox2! The only problem is, I do not want to control the device from the DVD input. I want it on the CD input!

Unfortunately, the RF10's manual does not tell me what the default codes are...nor does it mention being able to copy a set of codes from one input to another. I have an email into their tech support and I'm waiting to hear back. In the mean time, if I knew what Brand of codes the Squeezebox2 is compatible with, that may help.

Thanks,

Jeff

seanadams
2007-06-26, 09:44
It's JVC - we support it as a secondary code set. You can just disable it in player settings.

jdryyz
2007-06-26, 09:53
Thanks! I won't be needing to disable it. Quite the opposite it, in fact. I want to exploit it!

Can you tell me where this information is documented? Like I said earlier, I had some vague memory about it but I cannot find the info in the manual. Perhaps it was mentioned in an online review of the product somewhere.

It's JVC - we support it as a secondary code set. You can just disable it in player settings.

seanadams
2007-06-26, 10:35
There's not much else to document... the buttons should work the way you'd expect them to, at least the major ones like arrows, play, and ffwd/pause/rew. If you find that a button on your own remote doesn't map to the right function, you can reassign them in the file IR/jvc_dvd.ir

http://svn.slimdevices.com/branches/6.5/server/IR/jvc_dvd.ir?rev=9178&view=auto

jdryyz
2007-06-26, 11:03
Sean, I was only asking where the info on the remote using JVC codes is mentioned in writing, not that I required additional documentation. This is just to satisfy my curiosity, mind you. You've already answered the important question. I will be able to act on it right away.

There's not much else to document... the buttons should work the way you'd expect them to, at least the major ones like arrows, play, and ffwd/pause/rew. If you find that a button on your own remote doesn't map to the right function, you can reassign them in the file IR/jvc_dvd.ir

http://svn.slimdevices.com/branches/6.5/server/IR/jvc_dvd.ir?rev=9178&view=auto

msherman
2007-06-26, 11:25
jdryyz wrote:
> Sean, I was only asking where the info on the remote using JVC codes is
> mentioned in writing, not that I required additional documentation.
> This is just to satisfy my curiosity, mind you. You've already answered
> the important question. I will be able to act on it right away.

You probably noticed it on the IR page in the player prefs. SlimServer
ships with two different .IR files, jvc_dvd.ir and
Slim_Devices_Remote.ir, and you can enable/disable either or both with
check boxes in that config page.

(Well, three -- there's also Front_Panel.ir, but that only shows up for
Transporters, not for sb3s).

If you happen to know the hex codes for some other remote (universal or
otherwise) that you have, you can write an .ir file for it, too.

- Marc

Siduhe
2007-06-26, 11:26
The information is in a couple of places on this site:

The "Remote" page (see under Product Info Tab) - http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_remotes.html?

The FAQ - http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html

and in the Changelog for 6.5.2

Also, if you search the forums for JVC you will find a ton of info.

However, AFAIK, you will still need the SB remote to perform firmware upgrades (or is there also BRIGHTNESS code for the JVC remote?) so don't throw it away...

jdryyz
2007-06-26, 11:43
Thanks for the replies, folks. It must have been in the FAQ where I read it the first time.

TiredLegs
2007-06-27, 09:40
If you happen to know the hex codes for some other remote (universal or otherwise) that you have, you can write an .ir file for it, too.
Has anyone here successfully done this?

CatBus
2007-06-27, 13:04
Slightly offtopic--I've connected my SB3 to the "CD" audio inputs of my receiver, and I can't seem to get my receiver's remote to control the SB3 with the JVC DVD codes.

Would it behave differently if connected to the "DVD" audio input? Yes, I could try, but I also wanted to see if this is a common/known issue.

I prefer to use the CD input as CDs are now obsolete in my house--DVDs are not...

ceejay
2007-06-28, 00:24
Slightly offtopic--I've connected my SB3 to the "CD" audio inputs of my receiver, and I can't seem to get my receiver's remote to control the SB3 with the JVC DVD codes.

Would it behave differently if connected to the "DVD" audio input? Yes, I could try, but I also wanted to see if this is a common/known issue.

I prefer to use the CD input as CDs are now obsolete in my house--DVDs are not...

Yes, you could try it! And no, it won't make any difference, the SB/SS has no way of knowing what its connected to! Have you enabled the JVC codes in the Player Settings/Remote ?

Ceejay

kkitts
2007-06-28, 08:09
I think that on my yamaha receiver that the remote "remembers" the selection that you make. In other words, If you select "CD" then it would send CD IR Codes after that.

One thing you might also try... you can select "DVD" on your receiver remote while carefully "covering" the top of the remote so that the receiver does not receive the signal. Then the receiver remote will think it is in "DVD" mode - so it will send DVD IR Codes - but the receiver will actually still be in CD mode.

Make sense?

Good Luck...

CatBus
2007-06-28, 16:04
kkitts--Excellent suggestion! If you cover the IR from the remote, the remote switches to sending DVD signals while the receiver thinks it's in CD mode.

The only problem is that the DVD signals go to the DVD player, not the SB3. Oh well. I'll look into changing my setup around.