PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 $129 on woot.com now!

Grahame
2007-06-24, 22:31
Dear All,

Todays woot on http://woot.com is the Nokia 770 for $129 ( + $5 Shipping)

I have one (purchased for much more, shortly after it came out), and use it with the Nokia770 skin created by Ben Klaas. (search the forums for more info)

(The 770 skin is included on recent slimserver releases - try it yourslimserver:9000/nokia770)

The limitations of the 770 are well known, it has been superseded by the N800, but the woot price is a good one (best I found on pricegrabber currently was ~$259).

So if you want a wireless touchscreen remote for your SB (or transporter), that displays album art - and lets you surf the web, Now! (as opposed to waiting for the iPhone ;), or some as-yet-unannounced-jive-powered device :) ) - and feel the price is worth it for you - then head over to woot.com

Though I'd better point this out to people who want one, or had been previously put off by the price.

Hope you find this useful.

Grahame

Tzvi
2007-06-24, 22:43
I just ordered one. Looking forward to it.

--Tzvi

adamslim
2007-06-25, 05:26
Drat it's US-only :(

zingerhill
2007-06-25, 07:18
I ordered one. I'd been tracking this guy for a while. My DS browser is going on the auction block!

snarlydwarf
2007-06-25, 08:25
Very nice, I ordered one, too.

forddonald
2007-06-25, 08:32
Yup, spotted it this morning and ordered, solely for use as a visual SB remote.

jclyle
2007-06-25, 09:58
Do they have any type of return policy if it doesnt work out like I think it should? I looked around their site and didn't see one.

jclyle
2007-06-25, 10:00
i answered my own question.. this is from their site....

Will I receive customer support like I'm used to?
No. Well, not really. If you buy something you don't end up liking or you have what marketing people call "buyer's remorse," sell it on eBay. It's likely you'll make money doing this and save everyone a hassle. If the item doesn't work, find out what you're doing wrong. Yes, we know you think the item is bad, but it's probably your fault. Google your problem, or come back to that product discussion in our community and ask other people if they know. Try to call the manufacturer and ask if they know. If you give up and must return it to us, then follow on to the next FAQ entry.
How do I return a defective product?
Unless we specifically tell you not to, call the manufacturer of the product you bought. You will likely get a replacement of a new model or better item from them. If we still haven't dissuaded you, email rma@woot.com with your woot order number, the name of the product you are returning, and the detailed problem with the item. We will respond with return authorization by the next business day. Because we aren't likely to have a replacement in stock, you should be prepared for a refund-only option if that's all we can do. Know that return freight will be at your expense. Again, you will probably get a better deal from the manufacturer, or whoever else handling customer service for that product.

Jon
2007-06-25, 10:10
Bought mine early this morning, in part to use to control the Squeezebox in my bedroom, in part to check my kids' schools for emergency closings in the winter from the comfort of my bed ... I hate getting out of bed just to find out whether the kids have a snow day :-)

Hard to pass up for $129!

bklaas
2007-06-25, 10:21
A couple suggestions to those Woot!ing the 770 today:

the first thing you should do is install the most current 770 OS image available. who knows what version the Woot! 770s will come with, and a lot of stuff got fixed between initial release and what's current today.

secondly, install the streaming media manager Canola. http://openbossa.indt.org/canola/

for using my skin, make sure you have javascript enabled in the browser, view the skin in full-screen mode (button on the top of the device toggles full-screen mode), and make sure the browser settings are to not show the toolbar in full-screen mode.

good luck woot!ers,
#!/ben

utowana
2007-06-25, 17:16
Hey Ben: thanks for your great addition to the slimserver arsenal.

You say: "make sure the browser settings are to not show the toolbar in full-screen mode."

How do I do that on my N800? Ever since my update of the OS on the N800, (all of which went fine), the toolbar at the bottom of the 770 skin screen floats over the rest of the window (scrolls up and down as I move the screen around with my finger or pen). I must have solved this problem before, but it is pesky now.

Have I described it adequately?

bklaas
2007-06-25, 18:18
Hey Ben: thanks for your great addition to the slimserver arsenal.

You say: "make sure the browser settings are to not show the toolbar in full-screen mode."

How do I do that on my N800? Ever since my update of the OS on the N800, (all of which went fine), the toolbar at the bottom of the 770 skin screen floats over the rest of the window (scrolls up and down as I move the screen around with my finger or pen). I must have solved this problem before, but it is pesky now.

Have I described it adequately?

Can you describe this a little further, please?

1. what version of slimserver are you using, and what OS does slimserver run on?
2. when you say that the toolbar floats over the rest of the window, are you talking about something that's part of the skin (i.e., the bar that has links for server settings, player settings, etc.) or the toolbar for the browser itself? If you mean the former, that's a bug I need to look at. The latter you can change in the browser settings under the View->toolbars->(uncheck) full-screen option (or something like that).

cheers,
#!/ben

notanatheist
2007-06-25, 22:13
Darn them sales! I keep Woot.com open in a tab and when I spotted the 770 I emailed the LUG list and didn't splurge (yet). Tried to convince myself I didn't need it but they were still available 20 hours later. I wish they would have sold out. At least I only got one. For those regretting not getting one, they'll be on Ebay in droves with buyers finding they can't get more than $150 because too many are being offered.

SMWinnie
2007-06-26, 06:22
Nokia 770 at buy.com (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204081472)

$140.00 shipped; knock off a coupon or Google checkout if you can...

atlslim
2007-06-28, 08:46

the first thing you should do is install the most current 770 OS image available. who knows what version the Woot! 770s will come with, and a lot of stuff got fixed between initial release and what's current today.

good luck woot!ers,
#!/ben

FYI - Received the 770 from Woot today and it has the latest OS

OS 2006 edition v. 3.2006.49-2

Zten
2007-06-28, 15:22
I just ordered one from Buy.com

I'm sure I'll be back here pinging you guys for help once it arrives!

washburn
2007-06-29, 22:07
The 770 seems to work ok. I attached the case to the wall, so it would be like a control panel.

Still, I'm a little disappointed; for one thing, the screen won't show both the frames (list of albums etc. plus current playlist) that are needed for most slimserver interfaces.

I also have a suggestion for the Nokia 770 interface---it would be nice if the "Now Playing" screen would show more items in the playlist, rather than just three. Actually, I really wish that one could view a list of artists/albums/songs, and the current playlist, side by side, but maybe that's not possible.

Anyway, I'm still playing with the 770, and I definitely appreciate the effort that went into the 770 skin, even if I imagined it would more more like a typical slimserver skin.

utowana
2007-06-30, 04:05

1. what version of slimserver are you using, and what OS does slimserver run on?
2. when you say that the toolbar floats over the rest of the window, are you talking about something that's part of the skin (i.e., the bar that has links for server settings, player settings, etc.) or the toolbar for the browser itself? If you mean the former, that's a bug I need to look at. The latter you can change in the browser settings under the View->toolbars->(uncheck) full-screen option (or something like that).

cheers,
#!/ben

Hi Ben. I've been away on business trying to earn enough money to buy another gadget.

Re your questions above:

1. SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 12047 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

2. The former! Using full-screen option on my N800, the lower dark grey tool bar of your skin (showing "19247 songs, 1423 artists, 1561 albums <space> About Server Settings Player Settings" remains fixed over the bottom of the second row of icons in your skin. It actually obscures the text label of the icons. Make sense?

My observation is that this occurred after upgrade of the OS on the N800. It was not a problem before. Currently using the latest download from Nokia: Internet Tablet OS 2007 edition Version: 3.2007.10-7

Thanks for continued work on the skin!

utowana
2007-06-30, 04:12

cheers,
#!/ben

Ben: Uggggh. Sorry. I did not read your reply with enough attention to detail. You answered my question initially. In View -> Show Toolbar -> uncheck "Full Screen".

All looks well in 770 skin in N800 world. Thanks.

washburn
2007-06-30, 10:54
The nokia 770 *can* show both frames of the usual slimserver skins; I guess that before I just didn't give it time to refresh enough to display properly.

However the normal skins are sort of small for the Nokia. It'd be nice if there were a "normal" skin that just used a somewhat larger font.

digihead
2007-07-01, 08:19
Hello. New to the forum here. First post.

I recently purchased the Infrant NAS NV+ Squeezebox package deal and a Nokia770 on the woot.com deal.

When I try to navigate to my NAS, via http://serverip:9900/nokia770/ I get a message 'cannot connect to remote server'

The Nokia770 is up and running on my network, just can't seem to get it to connect to the NAS and slimserver.

Any help is appreciated. Very frustrating.
Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-01, 08:23
When I try to navigate to my NAS, via http://serverip:9900/nokia770/ I get a message 'cannot connect to remote server'

Should be port 9000, not 9900.

ddewey
2007-07-01, 08:23
Quoting digihead (digihead.2t1szb1183303201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Hello. New to the forum here. First post.
>
> I recently purchased the Infrant NAS NV+ Squeezebox package deal and a
> Nokia770 on the woot.com deal.
>
> When I try to navigate to my NAS, via http://serverip:9900/nokia770/ I
> get a message 'cannot connect to remote server'

Try:

http://serverip:9000/nokia770/

The port number should be 9000, not 9900, unless you changed it in
the slimserver configuration.

dd

digihead
2007-07-01, 11:09
Wow...thank you. Such a simple fix for a problem that has been driving me crazy. Nothing like a silly mistake to drive you crazy.

kkitts
2007-07-03, 10:22
I picked up one of these 770s - primarily for SlimServer control. Just curious - the manual says that it plays mp3 as well as a number of other formats and plays numerous video formats as well. What is it that Canoloa adds that the 770 cannot already do out of the box?

secondly, install the streaming media manager Canola. http://openbossa.indt.org/canola/

for using my skin, make sure you have javascript enabled in the browser, view the skin in full-screen mode (button on the top of the device toggles full-screen mode), and make sure the browser settings are to not show the toolbar in full-screen mode.

good luck woot!ers,
#!/ben

Zten
2007-07-07, 09:26
I got my n770 from buy.com today. It has SW version 2.2006.39-14.

Should I upgrade the SW in the n770? How do I upgrade the SW?

I am still seeing about a 10 second delay using the N770 with the 770 SS skin. It is much faster when I use the default skin. I've tried all of Ben's suggestions except changing my Browser from IE (to some other kind) and downloading the Canola SW. Do I need the canola SW on the computer or on the N770?

Zten
2007-07-08, 11:14
running SS in the Opera browser and I still have the same slow response. 10 to 15 seconds whne using the N770 skin. Any other ideas?

bklaas
2007-07-08, 12:05
From your desktop opera browser, go to either the now playing or playlist page and add this to the end of the URL: &ajaxRequest=1

what should display is a bunch of text to the browser, but I'm also interested if this page is also slow to load.

I'm completely baffled right now, so any input from someone else would be appreciated. Does anyone else see this behavior--much slower response from Nokia770 than with Default?

#!/ben

fyi--I'll likely be out of touch with the forums for the next 3 days or so.

Zten
2007-07-08, 12:53
It loade pretty darned fast. Here is the printout:

# for all pages
player_id|00:04:20:05:ce:8a
webroot|/
previoussong|(Prev) 8. Long Hard Day - BoDeans - Black and White (1991)
currentsong|9. Do I Do - BoDeans - Black and White (1991)
currentsongnum|196
nextsong|(Next) Real Wild Child (Wild One) - Iggy Pop - Blah-Blah-Blah (1986)

# status page only
songtitle|Real Wild Child (Wild One)

artist|Iggy Pop
album|Blah-Blah-Blah
genre|Chamber Music
songtitleid|468
artistid|215
albumid|139
genreid|6
artisthtml|Iggy Pop
artisttext|Iggy Pop

# mm:ss length of song
duration|3:38
# mm:ss elapsed
elapsed|93
elapsed|01:33

# length of song
durationseconds|218
# elapsed time
songtime|93
# time remaining
refresh|30

volume|50
mute|

# repeat settings: 0 = no repeat, 1 = repeat song, 2 = repeat playlist
repeat|2

# shuffle settings: 0 = no shuffle, 1 = shuffle song, 2 = shuffle album
shuffle|0

# player on or off
mode|on

# status of player: 0 = stopped, 1 = playing, 2 = paused
playmode|1

# status of player in text
playtextmode|Now playing

# length of playlist
songcount|1455

# where this track sits on that playlist
thissongnum|198

player_name|Family Room

# path to cover art
coverartpath|468

# href for album href

albumhref|/browsedb.html?hierarchy=album,track&level=1&album.id=139&player=00%3A04%3A20%3A05%3Ace%3A8a

snarlydwarf
2007-07-08, 21:27
I'm completely baffled right now, so any input from someone else would be appreciated. Does anyone else see this behavior--much slower response from Nokia770 than with Default?

It seems fine to me: my only guess is that the Nokia has much worse 802.11g networking than the SB in the same room... I usually see around 70% signal on the SB and around 30% on the Nokia. It could be that the connection is more marginal and causing retransmits.

(even at 30% it works fine, page loads on all sites are a bit slow sometimes, but i cant blame the skin for google news loading slowly.)