PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Slim Server?

gdg
2007-06-23, 23:18
I've been using a SB2 and Slimserver for 2 years without problem. A while back I uploaded the latest edition of Slimserver and things started to go wrong. First of all the quick launch icon won't work. I have to use the Task Manager icon and open it through the popup menu. The Zapped function no longer works. I get prompted to put the song in either "bad music", "bad tags" or "morning alarm", none of which work (and no, I haven't loaded any plugins). The "date and time" screen saver I set all of a sudden is showing the full "spectrum analyzer" at the same time. This is really annoying.
What gives??????????????????????????????????????????

erland
2007-06-23, 23:42
The Zapped function no longer works. I get prompted to put the song in either "bad music", "bad tags" or "morning alarm", none of which work (and no, I haven't loaded any plugins). As I said in the previous thread, this is related to the Playlist Manager plugin. You obviously had that installed since you found a checkbox for it in "Server Settings/Plugins". The change in behaviour regarding this could be that you had installed the plugin in your previous SlimServer, but it didn't work because the plugin version wasn't compatible with that SlimServer. Now when you upgraded SlimServer the plugin suddenly started to work since it's compatible with the new version.

I think the fastest way to get back to the default behaviour would be to uninstall SlimServer completely and then reinstall it again. It is a good idea that you take a backup of your current SlimServer installation directory before you uninstall, this will make it easier to get back to the current installation if the reinstall doesn't work. When you uninstall, make sure there aren't any files left in the SlimServer installation directory before you install it again.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-24, 08:09
The "date and time" screen saver I set all of a sudden is showing the full "spectrum analyzer" at the same time.

Press "Now Playing" to cycle through the list of screensaver options.

gdg
2007-06-24, 22:33
As I said in the previous thread, this is related to the Playlist Manager plugin. You obviously had that installed since you found a checkbox for it in "Server Settings/Plugins". The change in behaviour regarding this could be that you had installed the plugin in your previous SlimServer, but it didn't work because the plugin version wasn't compatible with that SlimServer. Now when you upgraded SlimServer the plugin suddenly started to work since it's compatible with the new version.

I think the fastest way to get back to the default behaviour would be to uninstall SlimServer completely and then reinstall it again. It is a good idea that you take a backup of your current SlimServer installation directory before you uninstall, this will make it easier to get back to the current installation if the reinstall doesn't work. When you uninstall, make sure there aren't any files left in the SlimServer installation directory before you install it again.

Thanx Erland,
I posted again becuause unchecking the Playlist manager didn't help. I think you are right about reinstalling. I hate doing that because I always miss something that I setup years ago and have forgotten about.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-25, 05:23
Have you tried restarting SlimServer after you've unchecked the option?

gdg
2007-06-25, 15:14
Have you tried restarting SlimServer after you've unchecked the option?

Yes I did restart. I even unplugged the SB to reset it.

Can anyone tell me if I need to do more than uninstall Slimserver through the Windows control panel add/remove programs application?
Someone claimed I needed to make sure all the files were deleted. Isn't this done automatically when you uninstall?

erland
2007-06-25, 21:41
After you have uninstalled it, check if there are any files left in the directory where SlimServer was installed. The directory is probably something like:
C:\Program Files\SlimDevices

If there are any files left, remove them manually from the explorer/file manager.

The uninstall should normally do this, but I'm not sure if it will remove files you have installed yourself after the SlimServer installation, for example third party plugins.

If you don't get it to work, I would suggest that you call the SlimDevices support so they can guide you through it.

gdg
2007-06-26, 02:00
Thanx. I'll check the file when I'm done.

gdg
2007-06-28, 20:03
Should one disable anti-virus software when installing slimserver?
Also, one other thing I noticed that was weird about my last install was the fact that, during play, the slimserver window would repeatedly "flash" (I'm not sure that is the best description but it was like the window would stall and restart).

slimpy
2007-06-29, 04:37
The slimserver window is actually just your web browser displaying the slimserver web pages. If it is flashing the web browser is probably reloading the page. This happens frequently to keep the display in sync with what's playing.

-s.

Siduhe
2007-06-29, 04:43
Should one disable anti-virus software when installing slimserver?

Which anti-virus product? You've posted a bunch of threads about the difference in scanning times between Windows and Linux. In my, very unscientific admittedly, experience, running a scan on a Windows box with an on-access anti-virus and internet security product will slow the scan process down quite a bit, even if Slimserver is given full rights. Can't account for the difference in album and song numbers, mind you.

If Norton, it may be worth setting your anti-virus product to ignore *.myi and *.myd files.

gdg
2007-06-29, 15:33
Which anti-virus product? You've posted a bunch of threads about the difference in scanning times between Windows and Linux. In my, very unscientific admittedly, experience, running a scan on a Windows box with an on-access anti-virus and internet security product will slow the scan process down quite a bit, even if Slimserver is given full rights. Can't account for the difference in album and song numbers, mind you.

If Norton, it may be worth setting your anti-virus product to ignore *.myi and *.myd files.

I use F-Secure (a product supplied by my internet provider). I was only worried about corrupting the downloading of Slimserver because it's behavior has been so erratic after my last attempt. Anyway thanx for the input.

Ps. It wasn't me who made the Windows vs Linux posts.

gdg
2007-06-29, 17:34
The reason I found the continual "refreshing" of the Squeezebox window disturbing was because it never did that with a previous version of Slimserver that I used for at least a year.