PDA

View Full Version : SB3 antenna?

jclyle
2007-06-23, 16:40
On the back of the SB3, there is the shiny metal stand that acts as a stand. Does that also serve double duty as the antenna? I was debating attaching some more wire to its the antenna to try & improve signal strength. I'm having some dropouts and skipping when playing 24bit flac files. I have noticed that the problems occur when signal strength is <60%. I am considering homeplugs but dont want to shell out the $$ if i can improve things by moving my router around, and possibly pimping the antenna on the SB3.

FYI- the rest of my rig is Joilda 502B and Totem Acoustic Staff speakers. I will have a Channel Islands VDA 2 DAC here next week to compare against the SB3 analog out

JJZolx
2007-06-23, 17:16
I don't think the stand acts as an external antenna. IIRC, there are just two internal antennas. Someone has done exactly what you're contemplating, though:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34315

jclyle
2007-06-23, 17:24
You're right, there are no external antennas, i just saw that in another thread. I changed the channel on my route and that has helped get the avg signal strength to 70 from 60. Tomorrow i'll play around with router placement (its upstairs)

JJZolx
2007-06-23, 17:33
You're right, there are no external antennas, i just saw that in another thread. I changed the channel on my route and that has helped get the avg signal strength to 70 from 60. Tomorrow i'll play around with router placement (its upstairs)

Keep trying different channels. I find that I generally get the best signal strength at either end of the range. I think that's probably because it avoids other nearby wifi networks where the WAPs tend to default to a middle channel.

peter
2007-06-24, 12:52
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:40:42 -0700, "jclyle"
<jclyle.2snn0z1182642301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> On the back of the SB3, there is the shiny metal stand that acts as a
> stand. Does that also serve double duty as the antenna? I was debating
> attaching some more wire to its the antenna to try & improve signal
> strength. I'm having some dropouts and skipping when playing 24bit flac
> files. I have noticed that the problems occur when signal strength is
> <60%. I am considering homeplugs but dont want to shell out the $$ if
> i can improve things by moving my router around, and possibly pimping
> the antenna on the SB3.

Have you tried adding a better antenna to your router instead? That's
usually a lot easier.

Regards,
Peter

jclyle
2007-06-24, 13:06
I did that today, I have a linksys router and picked up generic antenna replacements from Radio Shack for $20. The just is still out if there is an improvement over the stock ones on the router.

SuperQ
2007-06-24, 13:34
I did that today, I have a linksys router and picked up generic antenna replacements from Radio Shack for $20. The just is still out if there is an improvement over the stock ones on the router.

Remember these things when dealing with WiFi:

1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels on 11g. All the others can cause problems. (There are situations that you can use others, but you need to understand RF engineering very well to use them :)

Antenna orientation matters. The signal coming off the antenna is shaped like a doughnut if you stuck the antenna through the hole. There is less signal coming from the tip as coming from the sides. The higher the gain of the stick antenna, the flatter the doughnut is.

JJZolx
2007-06-24, 13:57
1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels on 11g. All the others can cause problems.
All of the channels overlap others. 1, 6 and 11 don't overlap _each_other_, which I suppose would be a good thing to know if you were putting up three wireless networks in your home. Or maybe if you have a couple of neighbors with wifi networks you can work something out to use only those three channels. If there are more than three competing networks, though, there will be some interference somewhere, and one of the other channels could easily end up being optimal.

funkstar
2007-06-24, 14:16
Excellent graphic that, thanks JJZolx, it's been saved :)

Ian_F
2007-06-24, 16:41
Download and install Netstumbler from here: http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ There's a version for Macs too called Macstumbler.

It takes the guesswork out of determining what channels any of your neighbours are using. It also shows their relative strengths so you can avoid the strongest ones.

Wirrunna
2007-06-24, 17:43
Have a look here >>-> http://www.freeantennas.com/
I made two of the foil backed cardboard jobs and the signal strength increase on a PC was two bars out of 5.