PDA

View Full Version : Help - Artists disappearing from Artist list but their albums are still present!?

Richard_2482
2007-06-23, 12:43
I have noticed some strange things happening. First I noticed that although I have 2 David Bowie albums on my PC, and they appear when I browse by album, 'David Bowie' does not appear in the list of artists - even though Slimserver says that is the name of the artist. When I click on the artist name, there is nothing listed. I think this happened when I added the second Bowie album. Today the same thing happened with Bob Dylan. I rescanned the library because I had ripped another Dylan album, and then noticed that Dylan had disappeared from the list of artists - even though his albums are all listed, and the artist for each one is still Bob Dylan. I had MultiLibrary and custom browse plugins, so I removed those thinking that might be the problem, rescanned the library and restarted slimserver...but Bob and Bowie still aint't there. What's going on - any suggestions would be welcome!!!

matthijskoopmans
2007-06-23, 16:39
Which version of SlimServer are you running? 6.5.2? If you upgrade to the latest nightly build, do you still have the same problem?

Regards,

Matt

Richard_2482
2007-06-24, 02:49
According to settings/version info I am running SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 12047 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252.
I don't know what you mean by 'latest nightly build'.
Since posting, I uninstalled and reinstalled slimserver. Still these two artists are missing (although their albums appear in the album list), and possibly more I haven't noticed yet.
The file location of the ripped files is exactly the same as all the other files, nothing different as far as I can tell.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-24, 08:14
Nightly builds available at http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

david68
2007-06-25, 15:04
Hmmm...I'm experiencing the same thing. I've just ripped my first 5 CD's to iTunes and one of the artists is missing from SlimServer and my SB3, although the album is present. I've checked "Get Info" in iTunes and the artist's name appears correctly there.

Richard_2482
2007-06-25, 15:14
I downloaded and installed the latest 'nightly build' - so I am now running 6.5.3 - and my missing artists have reappeared. So maybe that cured the problem...but I will keep a eye open for the same thing happening next time I rip an album of an artist I already have on SB3.

david68
2007-06-25, 15:21
Having researched a little further I have discovered that by removing the 'Composer' entries from within iTunes and then rescanning, the Artist name now appears in SlimServer.

Having to do this will be a pain though, so I'll try upgrading from 6.5.2 to 6.5.3

Update: Fixed by installing 6.5.3

jaffordi
2007-06-27, 00:10
I had the same problem.

Vista machine. files on external hard drive. Lossless WMA. No Itunes. Use WMP for playing tunes and Slimserver ONLY. Many artists were gone.

Read this and other forums and decided to upgrade to 6.5.3. Emptied library and did a rescan. Problem fixed!

Thanks everyone!
Doug

rkeeney
2007-07-07, 17:52
I have noticed some strange things happening.

I had a similar problem, so after reading this thread I upgraded to the latest nightly and that fixed the missing artist problem but now I have a new, similar problem. Browse>Artist now shows all my artists but some of them sort by ARTISTSORT and others sort by ARTIST (all of my files are FLAC on external INFRANT drive under WinXP). For example, Eric Clapton sorts with the Cs next to Chuck Mangione.

First, why this inconsistent sorting behavior and second, how do I fix it?

Regards,
Rob...........

snarlydwarf
2007-07-07, 19:04
If artistsort is unset, it defaults to artist.

So if you have:
Clapton: ARTIST=Eric Clapton ARTISTSORT=Claption, Eric
and
Mangione: ARTIST=Chuck Mangione

Then, yes, you will see that behavior.

Solution is to decide if you want to use artistsort or not... which would mean updating tags. I believe some of the tag programs will guess on artistsort, but, that would do interesting things with "Floyd, Pink" and similar.

rkeeney
2007-07-07, 21:13
If artistsort is unset, it defaults to artist.

So if you have:
Clapton: ARTIST=Eric Clapton ARTISTSORT=Claption, Eric
and
Mangione: ARTIST=Chuck Mangione

Then, yes, you will see that behavior.

Solution is to decide if you want to use artistsort or not... which would mean updating tags. I believe some of the tag programs will guess on artistsort, but, that would do interesting things with "Floyd, Pink" and similar.

All of my tags have ARTIST and ARTISTSORT set correctly (I use MusicBrainz tagger). Both artists in the above example have the ARTIST and ARTISTSORT tags set properly. What else might cause that behavior?

Rob..............

cskwalls
2007-07-09, 02:19
I have noticed some strange things happening. First I noticed that although I have 2 David Bowie albums on my PC, and they appear when I browse by album, 'David Bowie' does not appear in the list of artists - even though Slimserver says that is the name of the artist. When I click on the artist name, there is nothing listed. I think this happened when I added the second Bowie album. Today the same thing happened with Bob Dylan. I rescanned the library because I had ripped another Dylan album, and then noticed that Dylan had disappeared from the list of artists - even though his albums are all listed, and the artist for each one is still Bob Dylan. I had MultiLibrary and custom browse plugins, so I removed those thinking that might be the problem, rescanned the library and restarted slimserver...but Bob and Bowie still aint't there. What's going on - any suggestions would be welcome!!!

As others have found, upgrading to the 6.5.3 beta release using the link on page http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html fixed this for me

markchev
2007-07-09, 09:50
Hi,
I have a similar but different problem. When browsing by Artist, most, but not all, Albums are missing. The songs for the missing albums do appear under All Songs for that artist.

When viewing the folder via explorer where the missing albums reside, there are .m3u files from when these were originally ripped. Also, the missing albums are FLAC's. seems to be a correlation btwn the missing album and the presence of the .m3u.

never had this problem before.

running 6.5.2

ideas?

AndyHennah
2007-07-10, 01:10
I'm having a similar problem. I added a new album the other day and have done several rescans (full). The album is there and I can browse to it, but searching for the artist gives me no match. When I tried browsing for artists the other day I could not find the artist in that list either.

Not sure if this is related, but today when I tried browsing for artists I got a really weird thing. I pressed the right-arrow on the remote to browse artists and the screen scrolls like it should do, but then it scrolls back again to the browse artists screen.

I'm on 6.5.2 (release version) SlimServer is running on Linux redhat 3.

It seems that the fix is to upgrade to 6.5.3, but I'm a bit unsure about upgrading to a beta - can anyone vouch for the stability of 6.5.3 before I upgrade?

Update : Well, I upgraded last night to 6.5.3 and did a full rescan. It's finished scanning and it now tells me that I have 182 artists - it was nearer 2000 before I upgraded. Think I might reinstall it all tonight.

AndyHennah
2007-07-13, 01:08
Found it!
When I looked at the Artist Info for the tracks in Media Player (v11), each one had the "Album Artist" set correctly but the "Artist" tag was empty.
So my guess is that SlimServer doesn't look at the "Album Artist" tag.
The same problem is in 6.5.3.

I updated the "Artist" tags and did a rescan. Everything is as it should be now. I can find the artist in browsing an searching.

Thierry
2007-07-13, 02:53
I have had similar problems, while upgrading to SS 6.5.3 and iTunes 7.3. It seems there are some incompatibilites in the way the latest versions of iTunes and SS handle tags.

Solution for me what to delete all "Composer" and "AlbumArtist" tags in iTunes.