PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying, need help

DCwriter
2007-06-23, 10:03
I'm planning on buying Squeezebox, but need several questions answered.

1. I know I can use it with Itunes. But I listen to a lot of Internet radio, some of it not thru Itunes. Can a station I connect to directly thru its URL be transmitted to by stereo thru Squeezebox, or can I only get radio stations thru Itunes or through some proprietary network?

2. The stereo I would use has only one input: a stereo mini plug. I'm assuming the Squeezebox outputs through RCA jacks. Is there an adapter cable to connect two RCA plugs to a single mini plug?

3. I've become a Pandora addict. I now listen to it on my PC. Can I continue using that in the same way with the squeezebox -- ie tuning in on the computer, using the Squeezebox software to beam it to the remote device? Or do I have to sign up for a special service?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-23, 10:14
1. I know I can use it with Itunes. But I listen to a lot of Internet radio, some of it not thru Itunes. Can a station I connect to directly thru its URL be transmitted to by stereo thru Squeezebox, or can I only get radio stations thru Itunes or through some proprietary network?

Most stations that use the MP3 or WMA format are supported, either through SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork. All you need is the URL, which is sometimes not that easy to find (stations tend to hide it).

Ogg is supported as well I think. Real is supported through a plugin called AlienBBC.

Most commercial stations make it purposefully hard to locate their stream - they want you to listen to it on their webpage, viewing their ads, and will hide it using rotating links, Javascript or similar.

2. The stereo I would use has only one input: a stereo mini plug. I'm assuming the Squeezebox outputs through RCA jacks. Is there an adapter cable to connect two RCA plugs to a single mini plug?

Available at any Radio Shack. Do not use the Squeezebox's stereo mini headphone output for this - it's already amplified, if you amplify it again you'll have poor sound quality.

3. I've become a Pandora addict. I now listen to it on my PC. Can I continue using that in the same way with the squeezebox -- ie tuning in on the computer, using the Squeezebox software to beam it to the remote device? Or do I have to sign up for a special service?

You can listen to Pandora through SqueezeNetwork currently - sometime next year through SlimServer.

SuperQ
2007-06-23, 10:51
I'm planning on buying Squeezebox, but need several questions answered.

Download slimserver, it's free! Give it a try. :-)

Pandora works with SqueezeNetwork, which means you can listen to Pandora without turning your PC on. SqueezeNetwork service is free with the purchase of a Squeezebox. A friend of mine has a SB and hasn't even installed a slimserver yet, he just uses SqueezeNetwork.

DCwriter
2007-06-23, 12:36
Most stations that use the MP3 or WMA format are supported, either through SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork. All you need is the URL, which is sometimes not that easy to find (stations tend to hide it).

You can listen to Pandora through SqueezeNetwork currently - sometime next year through SlimServer.

Thanks for the quick reply! Appreciate it.
So I can listen to the radio stations I listen to using Itunes with no problem, right?

DCwriter
2007-06-23, 12:37
Download slimserver, it's free! Give it a try. :-)

Oh ho, so I can install this before buying the Squeezebox?
And will installation interfere with my use of Itunes in any way? Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-23, 12:54
So I can listen to the radio stations I listen to using Itunes with no problem, right?

I don't have iTunes so I don't know - but if the station streams in MP3, WMA or Ogg there's a good chance it'll work. The key is finding the right URL. Try http://www.mikesradioworld.com/

Oh ho, so I can install this before buying the Squeezebox?

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

And will installation interfere with my use of Itunes in any way?

Usually it's the other way around...