PDA

View Full Version : Very annoyed and disappointed (not with SD - read on...)

gutted
2007-06-23, 00:50
So - I'm a brand snob. I admit it. Whether you agree or not, it doesn't bother me: it's a personal opinion an everyone can have their own personal opinion.

My opinion? I wanted to by an SD-branded SB3. I don't really want a Logitech-branded unit. It's the same unit - there is no difference between the one which has "Logitech" on it, and the one which has "Slim Devices" on it other than the name.

If you think I'm an idiot, then that's fair and you're entitled to that view.

So anyway - I've been hunting for an SD SB3 for a while. eBay has been my only real option. I found some on eBay, and contacted seller to ask. Seller seems to be selling a lot of these units.

First auction I found, I asked him: is it SD or Logitech? (I explained why). No answer.

Second auction, next day, I asked him same question with same reasoning. No answer.

Third auction, the following day, I asked him same question with same reasoning. He finally responds with a single word: "slimdevices". I follow it up asking about the logo on the unit itself and the box it comes in (and also the colour). He tells me it's an all black unit, in an SD box with SD logo.

I buy it.

It arrives this morning and you want to guess what? It's in a Logitech box. I'm not going to open it, as I can guess he'll be saying "you've opened it, now you can't send it back". Waiting to see whether he'll sort it out, but not hopeful.

Dammit though - I'm furious about this >:(

Meantime - anyone want to buy a Logitech-branded unit? It cost me 175 delivered so it'd be 175 plus P&P (which looks to have been around 8). Still a bargain, and cheaper than your average retailer. But Logitech. For those of you out there who aren't bothered by such things, you'd get yourself a bargain.

>:(

GaryG
2007-06-23, 01:05
I have a wireless black/silver SD SB3 for sale, PM me if you're interested.

Regards
Gary

gutted
2007-06-23, 01:41
I have a wireless black/silver SD SB3 for sale, PM me if you're interested.

Regards
Gary

Thanks dude. Though I've just spent 175 on this unit and I need to try and recover that first. Don't suppose you want to buy a brand new unopened Logitech unit, do you?

amcluesent
2007-06-23, 01:41
>I'm furious about this >:(<

Of course, regardless of what SB3 you get, all firmware updates now have Logitech branding on the boot-up display. Noooo...my eyes!

egd
2007-06-23, 01:50
aah, the beauty of brand loyalty...you'd have thought Logitech's marketing department would have figured this one out, but then again I'm guessing Logitech's target market for the SB3 is broader than what Slimdevices' perhaps was. Don't see that ringing true for the Transporter though.

Rangdo
2007-06-23, 03:36
I'll worry about it when I turn on my SB and it announces over the speakers

"Squeezebox, brought to you by Logitech"

Otherwise, can't say the brand worries me one bit.

But to the OP, it's so annoying when people's communication is so cr@p :|

gutted
2007-06-23, 04:23
>I'm furious about this >:(<

Of course, regardless of what SB3 you get, all firmware updates now have Logitech branding on the boot-up display. Noooo...my eyes!

Yeah, I know. But I rarely see that. It's extremely rare that I need to reboot my SB1 - when it's not playing, it just displays time and date. But I simply don't want to have a Logitech logo staring me in the face all the time - and our lounge is small enough that the Logitech logo WILL be visible the entire time, unless I modify the unit. And to be honest, I dodn't want to go through the hassle of removing the logo - I wanted an SD brand name, hence why I searched and thought I'd found one.

Seller has actually gotten back to me, which is a surprise. He says "he's always gotten SD units in the past and will try to get an SD unit from his supplier". I'm not holding out much hope of him getting hold of an SD one.

WSV_DaveH
2007-06-25, 11:39
I just got a brand new Squeezebox, in a SlimDevices box, and with the SlimDevices logo. The only time I see Logitech is on bootup on the display. They are definitely still out there - this was a purchase directly from SlimDevices.

badbob
2007-06-25, 15:27
I have two Slimdevices Sb3, you can have them for 100,000. Each :-D