PDA

View Full Version : Access via Hotel WiFi

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-22, 12:57
I've had my SB3 with me the last two out-of-town trips and can't connect to my server at home... I can't even connect to SqueezeNetwork, so I'm assuming the hotel firewall is blocking the required ports on their router, yes?

FWIW, I am able to connect from my office to my home system without issue... but that's back in San Diego. IT DOES WORK. I can see the server with my MacBook Pro, so there's not an issue with port 9000, right?

Any help would be appreciated... I want my music back!!

seanadams
2007-06-22, 13:53
Do they bill your room for service? If so then they are probably allowing access only for the machine you use to sign on.

On your Mac try opening System Preferences -> Network -> Ethernet to see the "Ethernet ID" (aka "MAC address").

The in the SB3 setup menu go to Current settings -> MAC address, and press right again to edit it. Set it the same as your laptop's MAC, then unplug the laptop and plug in the SB3 and it might work.

You may have problems with Squeezenetwork since the MAC address will not be right. I'm not really sure what will happen, but you will at least have to re-associate the player with your SN account.

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-22, 15:04
Thanks for the reply, Sean. At this Radisson the WiFi is FreeFi, but I did just notice that when the browser is first open it goes through a PROXY search that doesn't happen on my network at home. I'll bet this is the problem.

I'll try your suggestion and let you know.

Thanks...

mswlogo
2007-06-22, 15:16
I've had my SB3 with me the last two out-of-town trips and can't connect to my server at home... I can't even connect to SqueezeNetwork, so I'm assuming the hotel firewall is blocking the required ports on their router, yes?

FWIW, I am able to connect from my office to my home system without issue... but that's back in San Diego. IT DOES WORK. I can see the server with my MacBook Pro, so there's not an issue with port 9000, right?

Any help would be appreciated... I want my music back!!

A lot of "Free WIFIs" force you to go through a Proxy WebSite to accept terms even if it's free. It's probably getting blocked there. Almost every airport and hotel I've been at has this and you can't get on until you click through that web site.

amcluesent
2007-06-22, 15:32
>I want my music back<

Softsqueeze on the Macbook?

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-22, 15:53
Softsqueeze on the Macbook?

Yeah, well I have to use the MacBook Pro for other things, and I take the SPDIF out of the SB3 to drive my Genelec 2029A monitors. I'm on a location gig for the next 10-days and have multiple production suites setup in the hotel. The SB3 stream is my "home-away-from-home" while I'm working.

Changing the MAC address of the SB3 DID WORK!! That confirms the "proxy" theory... so I called the WiFi provider and gave them the original MAC address of my SB3 to see if they'll allow it to pass, knowing that it's only a dumb playback device.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!!

mswlogo
2007-06-22, 16:07
Cool.

I wonder if you could plug the Mac into the squeezebox.

It may come up enough to get to the web site you click through and it will see the SB MAC address as the primary client.

Just a thought.

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-22, 17:25
Ya'mean like SHARE THE INTERNET???!!! Dang... I'll try it!! I was REALLY hoping the weekend jockies at L*@P Networks could work this out in a minimal amount of time... but BEER CALLS, I'm sure. (It is a FRIDAY, you know, and ALL I.T. issues fall into a different-kind-of-hell at this point).

seanadams
2007-06-22, 18:15
You could solve this with an access point that lets you change its external MAC - I think most do. Then SB3 would report its correct MAC to Squeezenetwork, and you could use both machines at the same time.

Club1820
2007-06-22, 20:47
Ok. Hope you guys dont mind me asking this since Eric solved his problem. But I didnt know that you could take your SB3 out of your own network/house and connect to your network at home via someone else's internet/network connection. I do connect to my slimserver from work using squeezebox. But how do you do this with the SB3?

Let's say I go to a friends house and I hardwire the sb3 to his router (or is even wireless possible?). then what? how do I connect to my slimserver at home and stream music at my friends house? Or did I totally misunderstand and this is not possible?

Thanks.

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-22, 21:37
You could solve this with an access point that lets you change its external MAC - I think most do. Then SB3 would report its correct MAC to Squeezenetwork, and you could use both machines at the same time.

Yea but I'm aready wireless....do I take an AirPort and use it as a 'bridge' with the SB3 talking to it and it talks to the hotel network?

I may have to spend my late evening hours working on this!!! The network people called me back saying they've created "a public IP address" next time I "login". They're still thinking I LOGIN with a browser.

Anyhow... we try again tomorrow (they're in Nashville and I'm in California... seems like a much more distant time zone).

amcluesent
2007-06-22, 22:42
Let's say I go to a friends house and I hardwire the sb3 to his router (or is even wireless possible?). then what? how do I connect to my slimserver at home and stream music at my friends house?

Set-up your home firewall software and/or router hardware to allow incoming connections to ports 3483 and 9000 for both UDP and TCP connections. You'll have to set-up port forwarding if you have NAT function on your router. Set-up your slimserver security not to block incoming connections.

At your friends, on the SB3 press and hold the left arrow button for five seconds to go back to the main setup menu, go into networks and enter the DNS for of your home system. (Or static IP if you have it).

Depending on what bandwidth you have and the file formats, you may have to set the slimserver to transcode lossless down to MP3 or you'll get network congestion.

seanadams
2007-06-22, 23:02
Yea but I'm aready wireless....do I take an AirPort and use it as a 'bridge' with the SB3 talking to it and it talks to the hotel network

Duh - right. I was thinking of an ethernet connection in the room.

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-23, 10:33
Duh - right. I was thinking of an ethernet connection in the room.

Nah... when I was here last year they had an active WIRED connection in one of the rooms I'm using as a 'production studio'. This year that plug's been pulled!! Maybe I'll talk to their IT dept (yeah, right) and see if they can plug it back in for me. I did bring an AirPort with me just in case... I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I've been on the phone with the company that manages this network (I'm in Central CA and they're in Nashville... how's that work?). They've been trying to give me a 'private IP' so I can get past the proxy stuff, but haven't been able to make it work yet.

What I have done is connect via wireless with my G5, logout and diable it's wireless, change the MAC address of the SB3 to the G5's and connect the SB3. This works GREAT because the G5 has already gotten the MAC address through the proxy crap. The bummer is my G5 can't connect unless I take down the SB3.

More to come, I'm sure... I'm here for another 9-days and MUST have my music.

mrfantasy
2007-06-23, 12:54
I've heard of some hotels that only allow connections to port 80 and 443 to remote servers, but I don't think many places do that anymore since it breaks IM, Skype, etc.

I just use Softsqueeze when I travel, and some Sonic Impact Gen 3 speakers hooked to the computer. Perhaps it's not as good as my Squeezebox would be but it's fine for hotel listening.

Eric Seaberg
2007-06-26, 08:23
OK, I have the SB3 connected using my G5's MAC address. They were trying to get a private IP for the SB3 but it just wouldn't work. The bummer is I have to keep the SB3 on AND streaming or I'll get disconnected. Even having the WEATHER/DATE screensaver on isn't enough bandwidth usage to keep me alive.

I'm also streaming RadioIO, but can't do it directly since I've changed the MAC address. Thank goodness Slim allows the server to proxy stream internet radio programming!!

Problem solved... for now.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.