PDA

View Full Version : Holding on to bugs for 6.5.4?



ChrisOwens
2007-06-22, 10:29
A number of people here at Slim would like to release 6.5.3 to users, because there's a number of important bugs fixed.

However, there's still some bugs hanging around that are waiting on translations, or are just not really important enough to worry much about. They're also not really important enough to justify a whole release just to fix them. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=SlimServer&target_milestone=6.5.3&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

However, I don't want to mark them for 7.0 either. 7.0 is still not stable enough to be a realistic solution for the average end user who is being annoyed by a bug in the release.

So there are two courses of action that have occurred to me.

1) I could move these bugs to 7.0 for now, and keep a list of them. If we decide to do a 6.5.4 release, I can dig up my list and retarget them back down to 6.5.4 if applicable.

2) I could go ahead and create a 6.5.4 target now even though there's not really a compelling reason for such a release. If we do find some new bugs that need fixing between now and the 7.0 release, we could also review these bugs to see if it would be possible to fix any of them. If there never turns out to be a reason for a 6.5.4 release, I could move these bugs to 7.0 (and check to make sure they're still valid) as 7.0 gets closer to release.

I'm leaning towards options 2), but please let me know if there are other options I should be considering, or info I'm overlooking!

Thanks,

andyg
2007-06-22, 10:31
On Jun 22, 2007, at 1:29 PM, ChrisOwens wrote:

> 2) I could go ahead and create a 6.5.4 target now even though there's
> not really a compelling reason for such a release. If we do find some
> new bugs that need fixing between now and the 7.0 release, we could
> also review these bugs to see if it would be possible to fix any of
> them. If there never turns out to be a reason for a 6.5.4 release, I
> could move these bugs to 7.0 (and check to make sure they're still
> valid) as 7.0 gets closer to release.
>
> I'm leaning towards options 2), but please let me know if there are
> other options I should be considering, or info I'm overlooking!

I'll second this, we don't know what bugs might turn up so we should
not rule out doing a 6.5.4.

kdf
2007-06-22, 10:42
I'd suggest option 2 as well. We'll have the 6.5.x branch and 6.5.4
is as good a name as any for nightly builds as opposed to an official
6.5.3 (If you want to be VERY cautious in regard to making sure people
are aware 6.5.4 may not be official, you could always use 6.5.4a) The
target is useful in anycase, since it points users directly to the
fixed build where svn change numbers are somewhat meaningless to an
end user.

-kdf

JJZolx
2007-06-23, 08:38
Be realistic. When can the release of 7.0 honestly be expected? If you release a 6.5.3 on, say, July 1st, but 7.0 is looking like Q1 of 2008, that's a long time to go without a maintenance release.

IMO, you should almost plan on having 0.0.1 releases every 60-90 days, with the only caution being to keep checkins very conservative toward a planned release date.

stinkingpig
2007-06-23, 08:47
release early, release often as they say.

On 6/23/07, JJZolx <JJZolx.2sn0kn1182613201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Be realistic. When can the release of 7.0 honestly be expected? If you
> release a 6.5.3 on, say, July 1st, but 7.0 is looking like Q1 of 2008,
> that's a long time to go without a maintenance release.
>
> IMO, you should almost plan on having 0.0.1 releases every 60-90 days,
> with the only caution being to keep checkins very conservative toward a
> planned release date.
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JJZolx's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36318
>
>

freelsjd
2007-07-12, 07:51
I was just wondering if there was a list of changes that went into 6.5.4 ? The /usr/share/doc/slimserver/changelog.gz file is rather terse.

andyg
2007-07-12, 07:54
6.5.4 is currently the same as 6.5.3, we just bumped the version number since 6.5.3 was released.