PDA

View Full Version : SB2 WPA Password

rbz5416
2007-06-22, 06:10
I'm now trying to connect a SB2 wirelessly to a Netgear DG834g. The router is configured for WPA yet the SB2 only offers options to configure 64 bit or 128 bit encryption in Hex.

My router's WPA password is 9 ACSII characters. What do I need to do? I have searched & everything seems to indicate that WPA is supported by the SB2 not nothing seems to show how.

The SB2 firmware is showing as 40 after running an update from Slimserver 6.5.2.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-22, 06:19
I'm now trying to connect a SB2 wirelessly to a Netgear DG834g. The router is configured for WPA yet the SB2 only offers options to configure 64 bit or 128 bit encryption in Hex.

My router's WPA password is 9 ACSII characters. What do I need to do? I have searched & everything seems to indicate that WPA is supported by the SB2 not nothing seems to show how.

The SB2 firmware is showing as 40 after running an update from Slimserver 6.5.2.

If it's firmware 40, it's an SB1. WPA is not supported with the SB1.

aubuti
2007-06-22, 06:19
If your firmware is 40 on 6.5.2 then it looks like you have an SB1, not an SB2 (see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison). You can confirm by checking the label on the bottom of the SB; an SB2 will say "Squeezebox2" whereas an SB1 will just say "Squeezebox". The SB1 only supports WEP.

aubuti
2007-06-22, 06:28
rbz5416: I'm curious, did you buy the SB secondhand? Apparently there are quite a few people peddling SB1s as SB2s (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35406). If it was represented to you as an SB2, you should be able to return it to the seller for a refund, although "should" doesn't always work out the way it should....

rbz5416
2007-06-22, 06:31
Thanks for the prompt replies guys. It is indeed an SB1 & I have indeed been turned over on Ebay!

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-22, 06:56
To preserve what little faith I still have in humanity, I would seriously hope this isn't done out of greed but rather out of ignorance. The SB1 and SB2 are externally identical with the display powered off.

Unfortunately I don't think this is the case - all the seller has to do is check the underside, and 30 seconds of research in the wiki would give quick means of identification. Also anyone savvy enough to have purchased an SB1 is no technophobe since the field was so very new back then - they should have been well aware of what they were purchasing. The cost discrepancy between used SB1s and used SB2s is enough to make greed a motivating factor.

rbz5416 - I hope you get some justice.

If anyone else is contemplating purchasing a used SB2, ask to see a photo of the underside first. Note the MAC address and serial number. Some research at these forums or even a call to Logitech will probably determine if these unique numbers are valid for an SB2 or not.

aubuti
2007-06-22, 06:59
Sorry to hear about that, since the prices fetched for an SB and a genuine SB2 are very different. If the posting clearly said it was an SB2, you have good grounds for taking action. eBay has a pretty good buyer protection policy, including a wide definition of "fraud", so take a look at it and see what recourse you have. I once got a seller to give me a refund for an item I never received by threatening to make a complaint about them to eBay.

rbz5416
2007-06-22, 08:35
To preserve what little faith I still have in humanity, I would seriously hope this isn't done out of greed but rather out of ignorance.You can rest easy, it was indeed ignorance - unfortunately mine!

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-22, 08:38
You can rest easy, it was indeed ignorance - unfortunately mine!

I meant on the seller's part - if it was misrepresented as an SB2.