PDA

View Full Version : All of a sudden: connectivity problems

Kyle
2007-06-21, 16:57
My SB3 is about 1 1/2 years old, and all of a sudden it is having real problems connecting with first my network and then slimserver. I thought it was a router issue so I got a new router (a Belkin N1 to replace my Belkin Pre-N). Then I thought maybe the new router didn't have as much range as the old one (I was getting 30-45% signal on the old one, but it wasn't causing any problems). I bought Homeplugs, but they didn't solve my problem. Then I moved the SB3 closer to my router (about 20 feet and a room away), and it still won't connect every time. Even if it gets into the network, which takes longer than it should, it often can't connect to slimserver (75% signal). So now I'm thinking it's a problem with the SB3. Any ideas?

mherger
2007-06-21, 23:38
> often can't connect to slimserver (75% signal). So now I'm thinking
> it's a problem with the SB3. Any ideas?

A factory reset? Unplug your SB3, press and hold ADD while powering up.
You'll have to reconfigure the device.

Other than that... did anything else change in your network? New devices?

Michael

topa
2007-06-22, 00:59
Anything else new? Cordless phone? Neighbour's stuff?

Kyle
2007-06-22, 06:28
Nothing is new other than the router. I can't tell about my neighbors. Closest house is probably 50 feet away.

aubuti
2007-06-22, 06:31
50 feet is close enough to cause wireless interference, but what's really puzzling is that the Homeplugs didn't solve it. When you tried the Homeplugs, are you sure you were connecting over the wires rather than wirelessly?

Kyle
2007-06-22, 08:58
50 feet is close enough to cause wireless interference, but what's really puzzling is that the Homeplugs didn't solve it. When you tried the Homeplugs, are you sure you were connecting over the wires rather than wirelessly?

Yes, I went back through setup and changed to ethernet connection. I could connect and play music, but the quality was extremely poor -- lots of skipping. I may just have a cable wired from my computer to my stereo.

Husted
2007-06-22, 12:33
I'm seeing the same thing, connectivity problems started a week or two ago. Not exactly sure why, I'm still debugging.

Kyle
2007-06-22, 12:44
I can connect and play music from 20 feet away, but if I power off (totally disconnect power) and power back on, it will not reconnect. Sometimes it hangs on getting an IP address and sometimes it hangs on connecting to Slimserver. I really think there is something wrong with the unit itself.

JJZolx
2007-06-22, 20:37
I can connect and play music from 20 feet away, but if I power off (totally disconnect power) and power back on, it will not reconnect. Sometimes it hangs on getting an IP address and sometimes it hangs on connecting to Slimserver. I really think there is something wrong with the unit itself.

Firt thing to do is connect it via _wire_ - a known good Ethernet patch cable from your Squeezebox to your router or switch, not the homeplug thing. Even if you have to move the Squeezebox away from the stereo, figure out how you can have it wired and be able to listen while testing.

Only after you know whether it's the network connection causing problems should you worry about other possible causes.

Kyle
2007-06-23, 14:52
I hooked up a different router, a Linksys G model WRT54GL, and it seems to have solved my problem. My signal strength is still running mostly in the 30-40% range, but I'm getting to the server every time and have had only one dropout problem when I was trying different channels. Keep your fingers crossed.

zeroblue
2007-06-25, 06:01
I am new to this so apologies if it shows. I bought my slim Device about 3 months ago and was amazed and pleased at how easy it was to set up! Everything has been running without problems until last week when i returned from a 10 day business trip and now all I can get is a barely audible crackly interference like sound over the music. This is the same whether I am connected to my music library via my Slimserver or over the Slim network listening to internet radio. Any thoughts, where do I start troubleshooting in easy to understand steps?

pfarrell
2007-06-25, 06:08
zeroblue wrote:
> Any thoughts, where
> do I start troubleshooting in easy to understand steps?

Plug something else in where the squeezebox goes into your stereo.
CD player, tuner, VCR, DVD, etc.

Play music, see if interference continues.
If yes, its not the squeezebox

if no, plug squeezebox back in.
play music.
switch right and left channel connections.
see if interference changes channels.

etc.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

zeroblue
2007-06-27, 09:32
Thanks tried all that and still a problem, even hooked up a different Hi-Fi system and exactly the same problem. I've looked through some of the rest of the thread and will work on that unless anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks

mvalera
2007-06-27, 10:44
They will help you diagnose the problem over the phone... 9AM to 7PM Pacific time, Monday through Friday, at +1 (650) 210-9400 extension 3.

zeroblue
2007-06-27, 13:45
Would be great but a little daunting to be ringing a USA helpline number from the UK, any numbers in the UK I could try first?

Thanks

al010964
2007-07-06, 20:10
I had a similar problem to this, went down the path of buying another router etc. Not sure what audio ports you are using? as I was having problem with the analog ports, once I changed over to the fiber port the problem went away.....

Tried different analog cables and still had problems - but have been running the fiber port now for about 1 1/2 weeks and it has not missed a beat.

zeroblue
2007-07-07, 02:55
Thanks I will definitely bear that in mind if I get more problems. I downloaded a firmware update and all became clear as a bell! So something to do with the way the router talked to the slim device I guess?