PDA

View Full Version : SLIMP3 direct into speakers advice?

jest
2007-06-21, 07:14
I have Squeezebox v.3 hooked into my stereo the usual way. It occurred to me to take my original old SLIMP3 (original Sony remote, too!) and set it up in the kitchen, on top of the cabinets, to get some music there, with a separate WiFi bridge plugged into it so I don't need to string Ethernet cables up the cabinets.

I don't need a separate poweramp and preamp for this, I'm happy just to use the player's volume control. Can someone recommend a set of powered speakers that will sound reasonably decent, that I can plug directly into this? There's no headphone out, and I'm not if you need to do anything special to run this directly into speakers.

Thanks.

aubuti
2007-06-21, 07:48
Search the forums for "active speakers" and you'll find plenty of options, ranging in price from $25 to $1000 or more. Without an idea of your budget it's hard to recommend anything, but I will say that the Audioengine 5 (~$300) and the Aego M (~$200) speakers routinely get great reviews around here. At the low end, I have some Klipsch ProMedia speakers in my kitchen that I got for around $40 on eBay. They're not outstanding, but neither is the listening environment (running water, range hood, etc.).

For your connection, your best bet is a simple Y-adapter cable that runs from the two RCA outputs on the Slimp3 to the single mini-jack on most active speakers.

The wifi bridge may work okay, but you might also consider using Homeplug (ethernet over powerline) adapters to get the music to the Slimp3. That way you can be 100% sure the Slimp3 won't drop out when you turn on the microwave.

mflint
2007-06-21, 08:27
I use a pair of Audioengine 5's with an SB2 in my kitchen. They sound pretty good, to a non-audiophile ear.

The only thing that bugs me is the audible "thump" as they're turned off...

Matthew

jest
2007-06-22, 06:34
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not that it's that crucial in this environment of noise, poor setup, and expected inattention to detail, but isn't running two RCA plugs into a 1/8" mini jack going to totally kill the sound quality? Or will it be "good enough" given the quality of the speakers and environment?

aubuti
2007-06-22, 06:52
Totally kill the sound quality? Not in my opinion. YMMV. Certainly if the speakers have RCA inputs then use those, but a lot of them just have the 1/8" mini. If it's important to you, that's one of the criteria that can help you pare down your choices. I think the Aego M has RCA inputs, but it looks like the highly-praised Audioengine 5 only has the 1/8" mini input (though I could be wrong about that).

BTW, some other active monitors that have gotten good mention are Edirol and Swan. I think some of them even have digital input, although that won't help you with a Slimp3 ;o)

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-22, 07:28
Not that it's that crucial in this environment of noise, poor setup, and expected inattention to detail, but isn't running two RCA plugs into a 1/8" mini jack going to totally kill the sound quality? Or will it be "good enough" given the quality of the speakers and environment?

I don't see how it could - the RCAs are merely electrically connected to the various pins/rings on the jack in order to maintain a stereo connection.

'Course it's a cable, and if you believe cables make a real difference then there's that to consider. But they probably don't make $250/ft cryogenically-treated silver-braided nitrogen-insulated RCA -> 1/8" cables...

Going the other way though, 1/8" to RCA, has some definite impacts at least on a Squeezebox (not the SliMP3, it doesn't have a headphone output). The Squeezebox headphone output is attached to a small headphone amp chip. If you amplify this again you'll have some issues.

aubuti
2007-06-22, 07:34
Going the other way though, 1/8" to RCA, has some definite impacts at least on a Squeezebox (not the SliMP3, it doesn't have a headphone output). The Squeezebox headphone output is attached to a small headphone amp chip. If you amplify this again you'll have some issues.
Likewise for going 1/8" on SB to 1/8" on the active speakers. I set mine up that way first, and that was Not Nice.

patherb2
2007-06-22, 08:13
Not quite $250, but these are nice.
http://www.silvercircleaudio.com/Html/products/ipod.htm