PDA

View Full Version : slim.exe has encountered a problem...

dazbarber
2007-06-20, 10:51
Upon bootup my PC has (from this morning) started to display the message 'slim.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. Upon sending an error report I am taken to this page: http://tinyurl.com/yrtwd4

OK, I did some windows updates LAST WEEK and updated my firewall at the weekend but why should I suddenly start getting this fault now?

Before I do the recommended update, can anybody tell me what's going on and will the recommended update solve the problem?

Am I alone?

Thanks,

Daz

dazbarber
2007-06-20, 14:10
The problem seems to have sorted itself with a little user intervention.

I unticked the 'automatically run at system start' in slimtray, then re-ticked it.

On the next reboot, although the tray icon appeared, slimserver did not start.

I then unticked/reticked the 'automatically run' option once again and all is back to normal.

Perhaps something got a little corrupt somewhere?

Daz

Brian Ritchie
2007-06-20, 18:14
I had this happen a few times as well. Usually soon after doing a Windows Update.

First time (that I bothered to report the error, that is) I followed the instructions on the link to install MS's suggested patch (and yes, it did take two reboots before the message went away). All seemed well.

After the next Windows Update, it happened again - and I got told to install the same damn patch! I assumed that WU had trashed the patch, so I went through the tedious thing again.

I've not seen it happen for a while. But in the meantime I've upgraded to a more recent version of SS (sorry, no details of old/new versions to hand right now), so maybe it was that that fixed it.

-- Brian

miguelk
2007-06-20, 20:03
This is happening to me constantly. I have to manually start Slimserver each time I restart the computer. Very frustrating.

didjean
2007-06-21, 03:07
I have this problem since I've updated to new version of SS (3 days ago!).

bpa
2007-06-21, 04:05
It would help if you provided more details to see what is common. Details such as

1. Which version of SS - if it is 6.5.3 which build ?
2. What version of Windows ?
3. Are you running any security s/w such as Norton, Zonealarm, MacAfee ?

If you log a bug then support will look at the issue.

miguelk
2007-06-21, 20:43
I am running XP service pack 2
Using McAfee as provided by AOL...but firewall's turned off.
Using Slimserver version 6.53. I upgraded to the nightly version earlier this week. I gave up on 6.52 because I couldn't ever get it to scan all of my albums.

Thanks

didjean
2007-06-21, 22:57

> Nightly builds 6.5.3 - 12269

> Windows XP PRO - SP2

> AVG Free Edition

dazbarber
2007-06-22, 10:48

1. 6.5.2
2. Windows XP Home SP2
3. AVG Free Anti Virus and ZoneAlarm Firewall

As mentioned above, cycling the 'auto startup' selection seems to have fixed it (probably until my next Windows Update)! :)

Daz

RichardP
2007-09-14, 00:08
I too have started to get this over the past few days.

The only things that have happened over the past 2 weeks to my machine are the upgrade of Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security to version 2007 (although note that I am not using its Firewall offering) plus the usual batch of Windows updates.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007
Windows Firewall

I'll try the ticking & un-ticking but even if it works, would be prefer a more scientific solution! :)

RP

dazbarber
2007-09-28, 13:56
My original problem is back. I updated my ZoneAlarm Firewall this morning and now I am unable to start Slimserver as a service without it crashing (slim.exe has encountered a problem...) I have updated to the latest version of SS and tried my ticking/unticking trick (see above) to no avail.
I don't get a crash if I tick 'automaticlly run at login'.
Any ideas?
TIA,
Daz

dazbarber
2007-09-30, 01:57
Problem solved... eventually!

I'd tried every trick in the book including uninstalling and reinstalling SlimServer.

I finally resorted to uninstalling ZoneAlarm and reinstalling the previous version. All is well.

Any ideas as to what may have occurred?

Thanks,

Daz