PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Server add-in?

groovyf
2007-06-20, 02:38
Tried searching, but seems it's broken...

Any plans for a SlimServer Add-In to the Windows Home Server Console? I've tried and tested a SlimServer on a Beta of WHS and found it installed and worked just fine. Then imagined how a nice front end that hooked into the WHS Console would be a great addition.

As WHS is a designed to be out of the way with no kb/mouse/monitor attached it's the ideal box for a SlimServer installation.

Maybe a 3rd party add-in might appear if not an official one.

slimpy
2007-06-20, 04:36
You can control slimserver from any computer in the network using the built-in web interface.
What would be the benefit of having an extension to the home server console?

-s.

byKnight
2007-06-20, 04:41
I've been running SlimServer on WHS for a few months now. I haven't once thought having access to SlimServer via the Remote Console was something I needed. I can already do anything I want with SlimServer from any PC on my network without invoking Remote Console. All I need is a browser.

JJZolx
2007-06-20, 08:52
I've been running SlimServer on WHS for a few months now. I haven't once thought having access to SlimServer via the Remote Console was something I needed. I can already do anything I want with SlimServer from any PC on my network without invoking Remote Console. All I need is a browser.
What about things like restarting SlimServer? How is that accomplished?

aw4
2007-12-06, 09:05
I just cannot install slim server on the HP Mediasmart sever. It will not let me execute the install file.

Any chance of a Slim server add-in for Mediasmart?

aubuti
2007-12-06, 09:15
I just cannot install slim server on the HP Mediasmart sever. It will not let me execute the install file.

Any chance of a Slim server add-in for Mediasmart?
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if the Mediasmart won't let you install slimserver, what good would a slimserver add-in (plugin?) do? Your problem is the permissions on Mediasmart OS, not slimserver.

This thread might (or might not) be useful: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40835

Roy
2007-12-06, 09:29
What about things like restarting SlimServer? How is that accomplished?

If you install this add-in http://www.danno.ca/blog/WHS+Program+Launcher+12.aspx
you can access the WHS Desktop (just like any windows desktop) and start and stop SlimServer from the tray icon in the bottom right hand corner.

Roy

JJZolx
2007-12-06, 11:47
If you install this add-in http://www.danno.ca/blog/WHS+Program+Launcher+12.aspx
you can access the WHS Desktop (just like any windows desktop) and start and stop SlimServer from the tray icon in the bottom right hand corner.

Remote Desktop. I use RDP now to do the same on my XP server, though I don't bother with the worthless Slimtray application. I thought maybe there was a way through the NAS's web interface to control applications and services. You begin running out of reasons to use WHS in the first place if you often need to use RDP to control it.

byKnight
2007-12-06, 11:53
Remote Desktop. I use RDP now to do the same on my XP server, though I don't bother with the worthless Slimtray application. I thought maybe there was a way through the NAS's web interface to control applications and services. You begin running out of reasons to use WHS in the first place if you often need to use RDP to control it.

SlimServer is just always running on my WHS box. The only time the box is down is for a couple of minutes a month during the night following Patch Tuesday. When it restarts on its own, SlimServer starts up again.

I haven't had a reason to RDP to it. When I switch to SqueezeCenter, I'll RDP to uninstall SlimServer and install SqueezeCenter. No big.

To control SlimServer running on my WHS box, of course I just use SlimServer's web interface.

OffBeatMammal
2007-12-10, 23:02
I've got SqueezeCenter v7 nightly builds running on my WHS (it was the first app I installed when I was beta testing WHS and it's been the first that went back on after every rebuild!)

It works like a dream

The only time I have to remote into the desktop is to do an upgrade (hint: for v7, including future nightly builds, can we have an auto-updater that we can set to check/run at 3am!)

I use Moose on a UMPC (Samsung Q1U) as the fancy remote to control the two SB3s in the house (with SB3 remotes and a Logitech Harmony for simple point-n-click stuff)

Having a WHS add-on to make managing from any of the connected machines would be nice for folks less comfortable with the whole RDP thing...

lade
2007-12-11, 04:22
The main advantage of a Slimserver / Squeezecentre WHS add-in would be for marketing purposes.
The whole WHS is geared towards ease of use for the non-technical user - and jumping on MS's marketing train would probably not hurt.

Slimserver runs without problems on WHS (have been using this for a few weeks now) - so the main thing that's needed is an msi wrapper for the installation.
Plus the control-tab in the WHS console. This should at least give some control over the Slimserver Service (something like SageTV: http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/sagetv.jpg).

To make things even nicer (and keep to the ease of use philosophy) the control tab could also allow access to the basic server settings:
- Music Folder
- Playlist Folder
- Manual rescan of library
- Automated rescan of Library (WHS users are used to things happening automatically over night)

And for extra bonus:
- bundle in some of the more common plugins (do not even try to include AlienBBC - will never be easy :-)
- bundle in MusicIP if possible (v1.8 has the necessary API in the free version)
- provide a function to add plugins without having direct access to the slimserver folder on the server