Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulfrancis
    • Jun 2007

Ethernet drive help

I have just got a squeezebox and a LaCie external ethernet (mini) disk. I wanted to use the ethernet disk as the music storage, connected to the squeezebox with an ethernet cable, so I could access music without having to turn the computers on (I have a main computer running XP, and a laptop running Vista - both of them can access the LaCie disk fine). I can't get the squeezebox to connect the ethernet disk. I am assuming now (maybe wrongly) that it's because I have to install the slimserver software onto the ethernet disk? I have tried doing this, but cannot seem to get it to run. Help! I'm beginning to feel I've just wasted a few hundred quid!
  • ceejay
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by paulfrancis
    I have just got a squeezebox and a LaCie external ethernet (mini) disk. I wanted to use the ethernet disk as the music storage, connected to the squeezebox with an ethernet cable, so I could access music without having to turn the computers on (I have a main computer running XP, and a laptop running Vista - both of them can access the LaCie disk fine). I can't get the squeezebox to connect the ethernet disk. I am assuming now (maybe wrongly) that it's because I have to install the slimserver software onto the ethernet disk? I have tried doing this, but cannot seem to get it to run. Help! I'm beginning to feel I've just wasted a few hundred quid!
    If you want to use your SB, it must be connected to an instance of slimserver running somewhere. There is no escape from this rule, th SB is an extremely dumb ("Slim") device.

There are some NAS devices which have enough compute power, and which are hackable tso you can install Linux applications, to do what you want but I don't know if yours fits the bill. Have a look in the 3rd Party Hardware board for many discussions on NAS devices which have been made to run Slimserver, and how people did it.

If its not too late you may want to look at the returns policy on that disc, though...

Ceejay

Comment

• th00ht
      • Feb 2008

In principle a Ethernet Disk Mini is a Linux embedded device on some RISK processor. So in principle it would be able to run SqueezeCenter. But the firmware is propriatery a Lacie "hardened" Red Hat distro which cannot be accessed / updated directly (as far as I know). They (Lacie) offer (some sort of) support on it so unless endorsed by Lacie you would waiver liablity when you tamper with the firmware.

Having said that, if you manage to install SqueezeCenter on it I pay you a beer or two, three.... :-)
      Living:Transporter Second Edition (smashing wiki page!), Touch, Denon AVR 1912 + two CM8, two CM1, CMC
      Study:Classic, Quad 303 + two Quad ESL 57 & Grace Design m900 with AKG 240 MK11
      Kitchen:piCorePlayer/Hifiberry DAC+ pro, Kanto YU2
      last.fm, SoS, EAC

Comment

• shake-the-disease
        • May 2005

From the specs, it seems you have a NAS with a 400Mhz CPU and 64MB DDRAM. CPU is OKish, but ram is very skinny. I run SS 6.3.2 on a TS101 which also has 64Mb of RAM and it only just runs. 64Mb is not enough for 6.5.x let alone SC7.

The point I'm making is even if you could get it running, I'd suggest it probably isn't the best choice to do the job.

If you want a cheap NAS: consider a TS109 (500Mhz & 128Mb RAM and a supported install of SS). Otherwise a small headless desktop in a cupboard might be your best bet.
        Players: Boom, SB3. iPod Touch w/ iPeng 1.2
        Server: QNAP TS-239 w/ SSOTS 3.18, SS 7.3.3, MusicIP 1.8, 8k+ tracks
        (formally running SS 6.3.1 on a QNAP TS-101 streaming to a SB1)

Last.FM

Comment

• SuperQ
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by th00ht
          In principle a Ethernet Disk Mini is a Linux embedded device on some RISK processor. So in principle it would be able to run SqueezeCenter. But the firmware is propriatery a Lacie "hardened" Red Hat distro which cannot be accessed / updated directly (as far as I know). They (Lacie) offer (some sort of) support on it so unless endorsed by Lacie you would waiver liablity when you tamper with the firmware.

Having said that, if you manage to install SqueezeCenter on it I pay you a beer or two, three.... :-)
          I think you were thinking RISC not RISK

Either way I found a few guides that may help with hacking:

Unfortunately it looks like there is only 64mb of ram on the mini, and the reviews say it's dog slow.

Comment

• th00ht
            • Feb 2008

So that would be half a beer than....
            Living:Transporter Second Edition (smashing wiki page!), Touch, Denon AVR 1912 + two CM8, two CM1, CMC
            Study:Classic, Quad 303 + two Quad ESL 57 & Grace Design m900 with AKG 240 MK11
            Kitchen:piCorePlayer/Hifiberry DAC+ pro, Kanto YU2
            last.fm, SoS, EAC

Comment

Working...