PDA

View Full Version : Why did my album art stop working properly?

Mike Anderson
2007-06-17, 18:02
My album art had been working properly, but recently stopped working for no identifiable reason. My album folders show up with question marks on them. (If I click on the album folder and go into it, then I can see the album art.) And similarly, when I run Moose, I can no longer browse by cover art.

I can't figure out what I did wrong. I was editing some of the files with Tag&Rename, embedding art into the .m4a files in an effort to get them to show up in Moose (which didn't work). That's when it stopped working.

I tried clearing the browser's cache and turning off my anti-virus, then re-scanning - no luck.

I'm on Windows XP Pro. Most of the album folders have a folder.jpg and/or .folder.png file in them. Some of the songs have the album art embedded as tags as well.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Mike

Mike Anderson
2007-06-17, 18:16
I should add that I'm doing a complete "clear and re-scan", but that doesn't help.

aubuti
2007-06-17, 19:45
Check to see if your virus scanner is getting in the way. I forget the specifics, but something with MySQL and album art triggers false positives with some virus scanners. There's a few threads on the topic you can search for. Try disabling virus scanning when you rescan your music library, and see if the album art reappears. Good luck.

Mike Anderson
2007-06-17, 20:24
^^^ Yeah, I saw the same thread, and tried that, no luck.

gw43
2007-06-18, 00:57
I've just noticed the same problem in the last day or so. I'm running XP Home, with Norton AV, SS 6.5.2.

I'm not really that bothered, as I don't access the album art that often, but it would be nice to know what's gone wrong.

Mike Anderson
2007-06-18, 13:51
Perhaps I have some problem files. I tried limiting the scan to certain subdirectories, and those work fine. Just not my entire Music directory.

It's still a problem to locate the trouble files though, because my library is substantial, and any given scan takes a fair amount of time.

Mike Anderson
2007-06-20, 23:22
Argh...

I tried dividing up my library into smaller pieces and scanning them in separately to see if I could locate any problem files.

No luck. For any given piece, the artwork loads fine. It's only when I try to scan the libary as a whole that causes me to lose the artwork.

Any advice, anybody?

AustenM
2007-06-25, 16:05
I have had the same problem and I think I have an answer ...

I dropped the reference to my playlists in the settings, did a full rescan and the album covers have come back - I guess there are some duff links in the playlists and this is causing the problem

This maybe could also extend to broken links in the Music directory path.

I hope this helps you too
Austen

Mike Anderson
2007-06-25, 19:17
This maybe could also extend to broken links in the Music directory path.

I understand your point about the playlists (and I'll give it a try), but could you please explain what you mean by "broken links" in the Music directory path?

I don't have any pointers to any other directories, if that's what you mean. My Music directory consists solely of subdirectories and files (either music files or folder.jpg files).

JJZolx
2007-06-25, 20:18
- Stop SlimServer
- Delete the 'Artwork' cache folder under /server/Cache/
- Start SlimServer

Probably wouldn't hurt to also delete the 'FileCache' and 'templates' folders in the cache while you're at it.

Mike Anderson
2007-06-29, 18:13
Still no luck yet.

I tried taking all the playlists out. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Slimserver altogether (making sure the cache directories had been deleted of course.

Any other ideas?

egd
2007-06-29, 21:09
My album art had been working properly, but recently stopped working for no identifiable reason. My album folders show up with question marks on them. (If I click on the album folder and go into it, then I can see the album art.) And similarly, when I run Moose, I can no longer browse by cover art.

When last have you cleared out your browser cache? Usually works for me.

Mike Anderson
2007-06-29, 23:46
When last have you cleared out your browser cache? Usually works for me.

I've done it every time I've tried to re-scan.

hunta
2007-06-30, 02:34
Are you running MusicIP? If so you'll probably have to let that build its library before SS picks it up.

I've got to say the machinations of the SS library are becoming increasingly arcane and correspondingly hard to diagnose.

Mike Anderson
2007-06-30, 10:12
Are you running MusicIP?

Not that I'm aware of.