PDA

View Full Version : Random songs from single artist?

badbob
2007-06-17, 11:26
Is it possible to play random songs from entire discography of a fixed artist? The existing play random artists chooses a particular artist at random, then plays all tracks from the artist.

erland
2007-06-17, 11:42
The easiest would be to browse to the artist you like to play and then hit the play button. To play it in random order, just hit the shuffle button to toggle the shuffle mode.

JJZolx
2007-06-17, 11:44
Is it possible to play random songs from entire discography of a fixed artist? The existing play random artists chooses a particular artist at random, then plays all tracks from the artist.

It's easy to play all of an artist's songs. Set 'Shuffle: Tracks' (or 'Shuffle by song' in the remote interface) first.

badbob
2007-06-17, 12:03
It's easy to play all of an artist's songs. Set 'Shuffle: Tracks' (or 'Shuffle by song' in the remote interface) first.

Ok "mix" buttons does that, but is there a way of doing it from the SB itself?

JJZolx
2007-06-17, 12:13
Ok "mix" buttons does that, but is there a way of doing it from the SB itself?

It's the same in the remote interface. Browse Artists, or do a search. When the artist name is found and shown on the display, press 'Play'.

Ideally, set 'Shuffle by song' first, otherwise the first track will always be track number one from the first album (alphabetically, I believe). If shuffle is already set then the first track played will be random.

badbob
2007-06-17, 12:17
hmm I would prefer a seperate branch, perhaps possible to add custom browser/shuffle by single artist? Seems quicker that way.

I've disabled the stock "Browse" menu (using Custom Browser instead)

JJZolx
2007-06-17, 12:23
hmm I would prefer a seperate branch, perhaps possible to add custom browser/shuffle by single artist? Seems quicker that way.

I don't understand. If shuffle is set, it's a single key press - 'Play'.

I've disabled the stock "Browse" menu (using Custom Browser instead)

You're going to have to take that up with the plugin's author, but I would think it works exactly the same way and that it honors the SB's shuffle and repeat settings.

erland
2007-06-17, 12:33
The options available are:

Option 1: (With Custom Browse or standard Browse)
- Make sure the shuffle mode is in "Shuffle by song"
- Browse to an artist and hit play

Option 2: (With Custom Browse)
- Browse to an artist and hold play down for a while and then select "Random". This will play 20 random tracks for the selected artist. The number of tracks played is configurable in Server Settings/Plugin in Custom Browse section and the "mixsize" property.

Option 3: (With Dynamic Playlist + SQLPlayList)
- In SQLPlayList, create a new "Top rated for artist", change the playlist name to "Random songs for artist" or something similar.
- You now have the following options:
-- Goto "Plugin/Dynamic Playlists" and then select the playlist you created and hit play, you will get a list of all artists, select the one you like to play.
-- Browse to the artist in one of the browse menus and hold down play for a while, now select Dynamic Playlist from the shown menu and then select "Random songs for artist" (or whatever you called your playlist created earlier)

There are probably other options also available which I don't remember at the moment.

It would be possible to create a browse menu in Custom Browse that works exactly as you like, but I'm not sure this is needed since the available options seems pretty good.