PDA

View Full Version : Connect SqueezeBox direct to Laptop

bpape
2007-06-17, 08:47
If this is covered somewhere, please point me to it.

I'm wanting to connect a SqueezeBox directly to my laptop wirelessly. When the laptop is at home it is on my wireless network and the SB connects to that network and points to my other server.

I am wanting to take this to customers' houses and show them how it works with just my laptop and SB without worrying about their network, etc. Is there a trick to this? How do I bypass the 'wireless network' section of the startup or do I have to have a different net configuration on the laptop when I want to do this?

Thanks,

Bryan

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-17, 09:11
You're looking for "ad-hoc" networking. The wireless software for most wireless cards supports it, and even Windows Wireless Zero Configuration may support it.

It can be a bit tricky to set up, apparently.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign

bpape
2007-06-17, 14:04
Thanks for the link. I'm still not finding what I need though. I'll be in people's homes who are not connected to the internet or I just don't want to have to configure my laptop and SB to their encrypted network etc.

I can even do this wired with a crossover cable if necessary - no big deal. I just don't want to have to have any connection to the outside world - just a mini-network that is the SB and my laptop and nothing else. Do I HAVE to have a router to dole out IP addresses or can I just set my laptop to 192.168.1.100 and the SB to .101 instead of DHCP? If I can do that, what do I tell the SB as far as the network to connect to (wireless only)?

I've found some information about how to set up my laptop net card as Ad Hoc and that's cool. Now, how do I set the SB to recognize that connection?

Thanks again.

Bryan

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-17, 14:19
Thanks for the link. I'm still not finding what I need though.

It's the ad-hoc networking section entitled "Adding a Squeezebox". It can be wired or wireless.

I'll be in people's homes who are not connected to the internet

You don't have to be connected to the Internet.

Do I HAVE to have a router to dole out IP addresses or can I just set my laptop to 192.168.1.100 and the SB to .101 instead of DHCP?

Yes, that should work.

If I can do that, what do I tell the SB as far as the network to connect to (wireless only)?

That's the issue, how to transmit an SSID. I believe in most cases it will be your computer name. Check your wireless networking software, there could be a special entry for this.

bpape
2007-06-17, 14:43
Thanks for the answers - though I'm not finding the section you're referring to anywhere. Let me lay out what I think will work based on what you've said and what I've read (without adding a second NIC).

Get a xover cable
Connect SB to Laptop
Set static IPs on both devices with the same subnet down to the 3rd octet
Set the laptop to adhoc networking and set SSID to 'blah' or whatever.
Enter 'blah' as the SSID to connect to on the SB.

In theory, this should also work without the xover via wireless but then I'd have to redo my WEP key every time I want to come back home and reconnect to my network.

Am I understanding this correctly and will the steps outlined above allow me to do what I want (in theory anyway?)

Bryan

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-17, 14:51
Thanks for the answers - though I'm not finding the section you're referring to anywhere.

There's not really too much there because there isn't that much to it and it often doesn't work that well:

Adding a Squeezebox is equivalent to adding a second computer to the network. If you didn't require Internet access, you could connect your primary computer's network interface card (NIC) directly to the Squeezebox using a crossover cable.

However most people want Internet access, and the Squeezebox needs Internet access as well for SqueezeNetwork.

One way to do this is directly through the primary PC. Add a second NIC, wired or wireless, to the PC and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" (ICS). If the NIC is wireless you've created an "ad-hoc" network.

Though this is simple, it doesn't have the security advantages of a router (see below) and it may not be as reliable or as easy to troubleshoot if you have problems.

You'd be omitting the Internet connection so you can forgo ICS, but the principle is the same.

Let me lay out what I think will work based on what you've said and what I've read (without adding a second NIC).

Get a xover cable
Connect SB to Laptop
Set static IPs on both devices with the same subnet down to the 3rd octet
Set the laptop to adhoc networking and set SSID to 'blah' or whatever.
Enter 'blah' as the SSID to connect to on the SB.

In theory, this should also work without the xover via wireless but then I'd have to redo my WEP key every time I want to come back home and reconnect to my network.

Am I understanding this correctly and will the steps outlined above allow me to do what I want (in theory anyway?)

Bryan

Should work, but you should do either wireless or wired, not both. If you do this wired (so you don't have to change your encryption key) then you can even turn off your wireless NIC. No fussing with SSIDs, just tell the SB to use the wired connection, wire it to the laptop, and point it to the laptop as the music source. Provided they are on the same subnet and have the appropriate netmask as you outlined, it should work.

bpape
2007-06-17, 16:03
Yeah - I was thinking about that. Thanks for verifying that I'm at least on the right track. I didn't figure I HAD to do the 2nd NIC (though I guess the wired/vs wireless is basically the same thing).

Bryan

Paul Webster
2007-06-18, 04:02
Also - you might find that your laptop auto-senses the ethernet connection and doesn't need the cable to be a crossover.
So - if you haven't got a crossover then try with a regular patch cable first.
After a timeout ... Windows then assigns a static IP address (starts with 169 IIRC) - so you could then set your Squeezebox to something similar (change the last number) as a static IP address.

bpape
2007-06-18, 04:11
Thanks for the info. I actually found a crossover cable (a good thing to have around the house anyway). I'm going to play with it in the next couple of days.

Bryan