Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earthbased
    • Apr 2005

Contacting a host via SB2?

I have ReplayTV connected to one of my SB2's via the ethernet connection. The ReplayTV can connect to the Internet fine for updates, but I can't ping it. Does the SB2 do routing both ways?

TIA,eb
  • peterw
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by earthbased
    I have ReplayTV connected to one of my SB2's via the ethernet connection. The ReplayTV can connect to the Internet fine for updates, but I can't ping it. Does the SB2 do routing both ways?
    Yes. Devices on the same network as the SB2 should be able to connect to the ReplayTV device. If the ReplayTV device responds to ping requests, you certainly should be able to ping it from the Slimserver host, for instance.

-Peter
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

• earthbased
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by peterw
      Yes. Devices on the same network as the SB2 should be able to connect to the ReplayTV device. If the ReplayTV device responds to ping requests, you certainly should be able to ping it from the Slimserver host, for instance.

-Peter
      First my SB2 is wireless over a G network. I can ping the SB2 from my MacBook, but I can not ping the ReplayTV even with giving Mac OS X the explicit route via the SB2...

Comment

• snarlydwarf
        • Jul 2005

You shouldnt need a route...

If your SB is 192.168.1.2, your ReplayTV box is 192.168.1.3 and your Mac is 192.168.1.4, then they should all be able to talk without a route.

Assuminng, of course, that there isn't a firewall on the ReplayTV box or some other reason for it to not respond to pings.

The SB -has- to pass data in both directions or it would not work as a bridge. (ie, when your ReplayTV box does something online, it has too get a response back or it wouldnt even be able to make a connection to a remote site).

Comment

Working...