PDA

View Full Version : Having some problems ... Apple Mac (PowerPC)

pjdowns
2007-06-16, 15:35
I wonder if you could help me out, I use an Apple Mac (PowerPC) IMac and have a Squeezebox 2.

This afternoon I purcahsed a 500GB USB external drive to use to store my music on.

Using "SharePoints" for Apple Mac, I have created a folder on said drive called Music Server and have re-routed my Slimdevices software to this location. I then asked the software to wipe and then rescan everything into the system.

Unfortunatly it missed out a number of Artists.

To try and resolve this, I disconnected the external drive and have re-routed the Slimdevices software back to it original location, but unfortunatly it still fails to find some of albums when searching via Artist, which is strange as it was fine earlier prio to me trying to use the external drive.

Am I able to use the External drive or due to the limitations of Apple Mac / Slimdevices software would it be better for me to continue using the internal IDE drive ?

Also, if I do continue to use the Internal drive, how am I going to get it to find this Artists it cannot at the moment see ?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

pjdowns
2007-06-17, 03:48
Am looking at the bug reports at the moment and it does appear that this might be affecting others !

P.

Jungle
2007-06-17, 04:33
I wonder if you could help me out, I use an Apple Mac (PowerPC) IMac and have a Squeezebox 2.

This afternoon I purcahsed a 500GB USB external drive to use to store my music on.

Using "SharePoints" for Apple Mac, I have created a folder on said drive called Music Server and have re-routed my Slimdevices software to this location. I then asked the software to wipe and then rescan everything into the system.

Unfortunatly it missed out a number of Artists.

To try and resolve this, I disconnected the external drive and have re-routed the Slimdevices software back to it original location, but unfortunatly it still fails to find some of albums when searching via Artist, which is strange as it was fine earlier prio to me trying to use the external drive.

Am I able to use the External drive or due to the limitations of Apple Mac / Slimdevices software would it be better for me to continue using the internal IDE drive ?

Also, if I do continue to use the Internal drive, how am I going to get it to find this Artists it cannot at the moment see ?

Just a quick note from personal experience: you shouldn't need to use 'SharePoints' to allow SlimServer to access the drive provided that you are running SlimServer on the same machine. I have a Mac Mini running OS X and using a Buffalo USB drive for my entire music library etc. This runs fine on OS X and SlimServer sees the drive as a local drive. Sharepoints would only need IMHO to be loaded if you wanted the drive to be seen by another (separate) machine running SlimServer.

The missing artists/albums may be a problem with SlimServer rather than relating to your use of an external drive.

Hope this helps a bit.

pjdowns
2007-06-17, 05:21
Thanks for you suggestions Jungle.

So tell me, without using SharePoints, how would you get to the external drive from say a unc path ?

I would like to be able to access it from my PC which is networked, as is the MAC via a Modem/Router.

Paul.

bephillips
2007-06-19, 02:52
Just use your music folder on the server Mac. Make a symbolic link to the external drive and put this in the music folder. When I do this, I can see the drive using another machine on the network running Windows no problem.

pjdowns
2007-06-20, 13:43
Ok I am completly lost now !!!

What is a symbolic link and how would I go creating one ... I am very new to Mac's (Work with PC's I'm afraid)

Do you know anything about why I cannot see some of the albums ... Although it reports that they are all there, When you look under Artists they don't exist ... Got back to Music Folder and they are all there !

Thanks, Paul.

bephillips
2007-06-20, 16:34
To make a symbolic link in Mac, download and install MakeSymlink (free):
http://www.naratt.com/MakeSymlink.html

This will add to contextual menus when you ctrl-click on files an option to "make symbolic link". Then place this symbolic link in your music folder. This is like an alias, but OS X aliases don't work in slimserver, so you have to use symbolic links, which are a unix thing.

I think the problem with not all artists showing up is a known bug, try a newer nitely version.