PDA

View Full Version : SS 6.5.2 - Missing Albums under Artist

konnexion
2007-06-15, 12:51
This seems to have appeared in this release. I have about a dozen Dylan albums but only 5 are listed under the artist. If I view by album the missing albums are there. This continues for many artists in my collection. Any ideas ?

I tried 6.5.3 but that was worse, browsing by Artist was completely blank.

In all cases have tried rebuilding the library from scratch - same result.

SS 6.5.2, OSX 10.4.9, Apple Lossless

Ian

Jon
2007-06-16, 06:16
I just installed 6.5.2, and have a similar experience. In my case though, not only are certain albums by a given artist "missing" when I browse by artist ... most of my artists are missing when I browse by artist! 400+ artists reduced to 32! Browsing by album reveals all the "missing" artists/albums.

Before I installed the upgrade, I deleted my cache folder, so I know the database scan was as clean as it could be.

Moose has no problem finding all the artists, either ...

konnexion
2007-06-16, 17:23
Well it's getting worse. Not having touched SB all day my library of 620 cd's now consists of a single album.

Where can we download previous version of SS ?

snarlydwarf
2007-06-16, 18:33
http://slimdevices.com/downloads

Are you using iTunes update?

konnexion
2007-06-17, 01:35
Thanks. Using iTunes 7.2 on an iMAC running OSX 10.4.9. All Artists apear fine in iTunes. SS is configured to use iTunes.

PhilTreble
2007-06-17, 07:37
I'm also having this problem. I am running Tiger on Dual 2Ghz PowerMac with SlimServer running. My music files are on an External Firewire drive. iTunes is fine. My AppleTV sees all the music too. Must be 6.5.2!!

konnexion
2007-06-17, 10:09
Going back to 6.5.1 solved the problem for me.

Siduhe
2007-06-18, 05:22
At a guess, you are suffering from a variant of the dreaded Composer tag bug - it seems particularly to affect people who manage their libraries through Itunes, probably because Itunes adds COMPOSER tags without you being aware of it.

This is a bug that appears to cause albums not to show up if the COMPOSER tag is the same as the ARTIST tag.

A few solutions that have worked for others:

Upgrade to the latest nightly 6.5.3 - I think this bug is fixed in recent nightlies;

Revert to 6.5.1 as suggested above;

Delete the COMPOSER tags if you don't use them;

Change the COMPOSER tag to something different from the artist tag if you do;

Full clear and rescan in all cases.

If you don't know whether you have COMPOSER tags or not, download something like MP3tag which will show you. (Check out the Beginners Guide to Tagging in the Wiki for more options).

If you search the forums for "COMPOSER BUG" you should see a bunch of threads on this. See also: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36104

konnexion
2007-06-18, 05:54
Can't remember now as I'm not near my iMAC but pretty certain the Composer tag in Itunes for these missing albums is actually blank - the same as the albums that do show up.

Siduhe
2007-06-18, 06:27
If so, that can't be your problem. However, I think it may be worth checking the tags in something other than Itunes. In my limited experience of Itunes, it doesn't always show all the tags present. Something like Mp3tag will give you a very detailed view. This other thread sounds exactly like what you are experiencing.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34791&highlight=missing+artist+album

This problem was also solved by an upgrade to 6.5.3.

Jon
2007-06-18, 17:37
Thanks for suggesting the upgrade to 6.5.3, that did the trick for me.

I did check my "composer" tags first (using Tag&Rename), which was set in some albums, not set in others, but there was no relationship between the status of the composer tag and whether or not the artist was displayed in SlimServer. Nonetheless, all's well that ends well ...

bmacnaughton
2007-06-20, 15:58
I am running SlimServer V6.5.2 on a Windows machine. My music library is not managed, except by SlimServer. I rip music with dBpoweramp music converter directly into FLAC format and am pretty religious about making sure COMPOSER tags are accurate.

The problem is that two CDs with the same name "Let It Be" (Beatles and Replacements) doesn't work right.

In all cases the Album Art is from the Beatles "Let It Be", the title is listed correctly ("Let It Be") and the Artist is listed "by The Beatles, The Replacements".

If I am viewing via All Artists, i.e. visually browsing album art for all artists, the merged album appears in the Various Artists section and lists all the songs from both CDs. It doesn't appear in the Beatles or Replacements sections.

If I choose the Beatles from the text list of albums, then Let It Be shows up there with the correct songs (and correct Album Art, but superfluous artist - the Replacements - as noted).

If I choose the Replacements from the text list of albums, then Let It Be shows up with the correct songs, wrong album art, and superfluous artist - the Beatles.

Physically the CDs are ripped to different directories with different album art, artists, etc. The only thing that is the same is the CD name.

I've tried 6.5.3 now and the problem is still there.

Any thoughts? This one doesn't seem related to the Composer tag, but I thought a ripped CD had disappeared until I found it by browsing.

bmacnaughton
2007-06-20, 16:05
Thanks for suggesting the upgrade to 6.5.3, that did the trick for me.

I did check my "composer" tags first (using Tag&Rename), which was set in some albums, not set in others, but there was no relationship between the status of the composer tag and whether or not the artist was displayed in SlimServer. Nonetheless, all's well that ends well ...

I use Composer tags but have no problem with songs not being displayed. The problem I see is that every composer is listed in the "by" part of the CD description. For example, "Let It Be... Naked" by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, The Beatles.

OK, I decided to try the 6.5.3 build from the 20th - it fixes the problem. So this post documents a fix to a problem.

Thanks to the developers!

Cessquill
2007-06-21, 01:50
Having the same problem here on a Windows box, 6.5.2. Don't use iTunes. Noticed it last night when I couldn't find all my Tom Waits stuff. Present on the Album listing, but clicking through on the artists revealed an empty catalogue.

Will try the latest nightly...

Siduhe
2007-06-21, 01:59
In all cases the Album Art is from the Beatles "Let It Be", the title is listed correctly ("Let It Be") and the Artist is listed "by The Beatles, The Replacements".

Any thoughts? This one doesn't seem related to the Composer tag, but I thought a ripped CD had disappeared until I found it by browsing.

This sounds very much like Slimserver is getting confused and thinks both albums are part of the same single album. However, AFAIK the behaviour you are describing shouldn't happen if both albums are in entirely separate folders. I'm assuming you've checked all the tags in DBP, it might also be worth trying something like Foobar just to check that nothing's crept in that you're not aware of? Also, you're not using MusicBrainz tags are you?

A quick fix to the ARTIST problem might be to add ALBUMARTIST and ARTISTSORT tags to each file (The Beatles for one, and The Replacements for the other). When you do a clear and rescan, that should solve the issue of them not appearing under the correct artist.

The album art issue is a bit more tricky. How are you storing the album art at the moment? If you embed your album art, I would try removing this for these two albums, and then adding two separate folder.jpg's into each folder, then do a full clear and rescan? I should also mention I once needed to blow the entire cache away to get rid of historic album art that was incorrectly showing up (although not since 6.5.2).

HTH

bmacnaughton
2007-06-21, 20:16
This sounds very much like Slimserver is getting confused and thinks both albums are part of the same single album. However, AFAIK the behaviour you are describing shouldn't happen if both albums are in entirely separate folders. I'm assuming you've checked all the tags in DBP, it might also be worth trying something like Foobar just to check that nothing's crept in that you're not aware of? Also, you're not using MusicBrainz tags are you?

A quick fix to the ARTIST problem might be to add ALBUMARTIST and ARTISTSORT tags to each file (The Beatles for one, and The Replacements for the other). When you do a clear and rescan, that should solve the issue of them not appearing under the correct artist.

The album art issue is a bit more tricky. How are you storing the album art at the moment? If you embed your album art, I would try removing this for these two albums, and then adding two separate folder.jpg's into each folder, then do a full clear and rescan? I should also mention I once needed to blow the entire cache away to get rid of historic album art that was incorrectly showing up (although not since 6.5.2).

HTH

I appreciate the suggestions, but I seem to have a sticky problem. Net: these didn't fix the problem.

First, I added ALBUMARTIST tags to the files (note - the Slimserver WIKI link to supported tags (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerSupportedTags) doesn't indicate that SlimServer supports this tag) (sorry for the recursive parens). I cleared/rescanned. Same problem.

Second, I added ARTISTSORT tags. Cleared, rescanned. Same problem.

I do store all album art as "folder.jpg" in each individual directory.

Any other ideas? It seems like somehow the ALBUM tag is getting higher collation priority than ARTIST or ARTISTSORT.

I'm not using musicbrainz. And I can view the tags with either dbpa or using Windows Vista properties - interestingly, while artwork is embedded in addition to existing as folder.jpg, both are correct. It seems like SlimServer is just giving highest sort priority to album name.

thanks,
bmacnaughton