PDA

View Full Version : "socketwrapper.exe needs to close over and over and over....

shadowboxer
2007-06-15, 09:39
Hi all:

I have recently (since my last upgrade of SS to the latest official release, 6.5.2 - 12047 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252) began having problems with socketwrappper crashing over and over when I am streaming remotely.

I did a search, found others had found help with a different version of socketwrapper ( an older version, I think, that was 15kb or so larger file) So, I found a link for that version, downloaded it, and installed in the correct folder.

No help, came home from a day of streaming music the other day to find all of my squeezeboxes with a dark screen. Checked my computer ( wind XP, 1gb ram, dedicated to serving SS) and found innumberable socketwrapper.exe needs to close windows ( 40, 50, or more, I didn't count but it took forever to click them all closed). Once I closed all the error windows, rebooted the system, all was well.

Has anyone had this same experience? If the old version of socketwrapper did not help, should I switch back to the old version? What in the heck does this program do anyway?

Thanks in advance for the forums help and advice.

-dale

bpa
2007-06-15, 09:50
It is known that socketwrapper can crash but it was very hard to reproduce. The crash is more likely to happen when using remote streaming.

The following is an updated version of socketwrapper which I believe fixes the problem.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/socketwrapper19b.zip

Can you try it - very few users experience the problem and so beta testing has been difficult.

Separately, there is a patch being tested which will bypass use of socketwrapper in most cases but I don't think it is in the 6.5.3 nightlies yet.

shadowboxer
2007-06-15, 10:03
OK, great.
I will give the new version a try tonight and see how it works out.

thanks

-dale

JJZolx
2007-06-15, 11:58
I will give the new version a try tonight and see how it works out.

It looks like it was checked in today to 6.5.3, so should be available once the nightlies get posted tonight.

shadowboxer
2007-06-15, 12:12
It looks like it was checked in today to 6.5.3, so should be available once the nightlies get posted tonight.

Which would you guys prefer I try first, the new socketwrapper.exe or wait and install the nightly?

bpa
2007-06-15, 12:15
Just to clarify - the patch to minimise use of socketwrapper was checked in.

The socketwrapper version is still 1.8 which can crash but it is unlikely to happen as the patch avoids using socketwrapper for transcoding files.

JJZolx
2007-06-15, 12:17
Which would you guys prefer I try first, the new socketwrapper.exe or wait and install the nightly?
It would probably be somewhat of a waste of time since the behavior changes starting tomorrow.

Wirrunna
2007-06-15, 16:18
It would probably be somewhat of a waste of time since the behavior changes starting tomorrow.

Is that the version dated v2007-06-15 ?

Down under we're 10 hours ahead which can make it a bit confusing.

Triode
2007-06-15, 17:11
You will need to wait for the next one I'm afraid.

Wirrunna
2007-06-15, 18:15
You will need to wait for the next one I'm afraid.

OK, thank you.

y360
2007-06-16, 23:01
I had a similar problem once when playing m4a files. It was caused by a mismatch between the db & file system. A fresh install & a fresh scan from scratch resolved it.

shadowboxer
2007-07-20, 07:27
It is known that socketwrapper can crash but it was very hard to reproduce. The crash is more likely to happen when using remote streaming.

The following is an updated version of socketwrapper which I believe fixes the problem.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/socketwrapper19b.zip

Can you try it - very few users experience the problem and so beta testing has been difficult.

Separately, there is a patch being tested which will bypass use of socketwrapper in most cases but I don't think it is in the 6.5.3 nightlies yet.

Just to give some followup, I replaced the socketwrapper with the version above. Still using Slimsever 6.5.2 - 12047 and the socketwrapper problem has not recurred. Don't know when and if I will upgrade to the 6.5.3 as the current version is working so well.

-dale

bpa
2007-07-20, 07:41
The updated socketwrapper (1.9b) didn't go into 6.5.3 as QA couldn't reproduce the problem and there was no feedback. So if you do upgrade to 6.5.3 you'll need to replace the socketwrapper.exe again.

However, another bug was found in socketwrapper so I think the updated socketwrapper will be in 6.5.4 especially with your feedback.

shadowboxer
2007-07-22, 14:55
Thanks for the advice. When I upgrade to 6.5.3, I will replace the socketswrapper.