PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade or Not to upgrade, that is the question.



Zten
2007-06-14, 13:43
First let me start off by saying I love my SqueezeBox! I bought my SB2 in October 2005 and it has thoroughly rejuvinated my love of music. I did a couple SW/Firmware upgrades and all seemed fine, but then when I stepped from 6.2.2 to 6.3.0, it went haywire where it would never seem to converge when doing a library rescan. It would just go for hours and never finish. I spent many hours trying to debug it with great help from the kind folks on this forum, but in the end, I just cut back to 6.2.2.

Am I missing anything good with the latest SW and Firmware? I looked through the relese notes and could not find a big driver that should make me want to upgrade. I do have an issue where every now and then (once every 2 weeks or so...) the SB just stops. I have to power cycle the SB2 and my computer/router. If that is fixed in a later code release, it would be nice.

Do upgrades get tested in upgrading from all previous versions? I would go from 6.2.2 to 6.5.2. Has that ever been tried successfully? Is there anuything about an old SB2 that makes it incompatible with the latest SW?

Should I just leave well enough alone?

Thanks for your expert advice.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-15, 05:50
Should I just leave well enough alone?

If you aren't experiencing severe operability problems and you don't need any of the new features as you indicate, then yes.

There's a big change going to the 6.5 series - MySQL.

BTW there's nothing wrong with your "old" SB2. It's just about internally identical to the latest SB3, has the same capabilities and it uses the same firmware.

oreillymj
2007-06-15, 06:22
If you decide to upgrade, the first thing I would do is rename you plugins directory to plugins_old.

A lot of plugins written for version pre 6.5 will have issues, so the best thing to do is get a vanilla 6.5 install working before adding any further complexity.

I actually zip up my entire Slimserver directory.

If you know what you're doing you can install 6.5 to a Slimserver65 directroy and leave the old version until you are happy that everything works correctly, but there is some work involved.

Zten
2007-06-15, 12:13
Thanks for the opinions. So I think since there appears to be no great thing I am missing, I'll just stay with what I have. The issue of having to re-boot everthing once every couple weeks is no big deal for me.

bigjules
2007-06-17, 03:44
In my experience dont try to upgrade unless you have a lot of time on your hands and you dont get frustrated easily.

I tried upgrading from 6.2.3 to 6.5 a while back. I had so many problems I gave up and went back to my old installation. And I have a PhD in artificial intelligence, so (hopefully) its not because I'm clueless.

And like you, I am not saying I dont like the product. I use my SB3 every day, both for internet radio and listening to my music collection. I still think it is the most useful thing I've bought in the last 10 years.

MeridianMan
2007-06-17, 09:41
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but my question is upgrading in general. Currently am running 2 SB3's under SlimServer Version: 6.5.0 - 9916. What should prompt me to upgrade to 6.5.2? Am starting to have Playlist problems (like they all disappeared on Full Rescan). Would this be a reason to upgrade (I'm not a programmer)?

...Thx