PDA

View Full Version : Quick way to remove "note" image from Now Playing dispay?

MelonMonkey
2007-06-14, 11:08
What's the quickest (even if slightly dirty) way to remove the musical note graphic at the far right of the Now Playing display?

For the life of me I can't see a point to its presence, and when the player is set to large type, that saved space will be useful.

Even a pointer to a perl file (and approximate line number) somewhere to modify will be great.

JJZolx
2007-06-14, 11:31
What's the quickest (even if slightly dirty) way to remove the musical note graphic at the far right of the Now Playing display?

For the life of me I can't see a point to its presence, and when the player is set to large type, that saved space will be useful.

Even a pointer to a perl file (and approximate line number) somewhere to modify will be great.

Others have mentioned this same thing. I see no point in it either other than perhaps it's to indicate when music is being streamed vs. just having the song title shown as a screen saver when idle. That seems to me more like a debugging tool - not something you want all the time.

kdf
2007-06-14, 11:53
as a more helpful response:

the note image is in the font files, but a simpler locator is the use of:
$client->symbols('notesymbol')

in the server code. Unfortunately, it is part of the server UI design
and is therefore found in most of the modules under the Slim/Buttons,
and Plugins folders. Simply removing that reference and replacing
with 'undef' should make it nicely disappear from any player listing.

It may also be possible to change the symbol used with that
referenece. In the Slim/Display/Graphics.pm and Slim/Display/Text*.pm
modules you'll find a hash matching name with hex value for the
symbol. Edit the mapping to use the value for the 'hardspace' and
you'll get the same end effect with only 3 lines of code to worry about.

-kdf

MelonMonkey
2007-06-14, 13:43
Unfortunately the second suggestion of replacing the glyph does work, but doesn't reclaim the occupied space. It causes a blank rect to appear in place of the note.

Searched the files mentioned in the first part of the reply, but there are just too many. That will be a PITA when updating to a new nightly.

I just changed the reference to nil ("") instead of to that of hardspace and it made the rect smaller. Good enough for now and very quick to do.

Only need to touch the graphics.pm file (I also modified the similar entry in display.pm but it states that's for non-graphical players and likely not necessary for SB3)

dborn
2007-06-14, 14:12
Just use the Music Information Screen plugin...

kdf
2007-06-14, 15:06
For just the 'now playing', if that's the only place you want it gone, then you should be able to simply comment out Slim\Player\Player.pm, line 444.

As this is a core module (ie, not a plugin) you'll need to be using slimserver.pl, as slim.exe is pre-packaged and won't take any code changes without being rebuilt.

Otherwise, as suggested, the MusicInfoSCR may do the trick if it blocks the notesymbol without explicit inclusion.

-kdf

MelonMonkey
2007-06-15, 08:06
That's line 598 in 6.5.3 since May 12th (# $Id: Player.pm 11972 2007-05-12 07:32:19Z kdf $) - which you seem to have been the last person to touch. :)

$parts->{overlay}[1] = $client->symbols('notesymbol');

It works perfectly to remove the space occupied by the notesymbol.

I just tried MusicInfoScr and unfortunately it's not for me. What I'd like to modify most is the Now Playing display and then only to make some slight tweaks. Not really interested in running the custom display as a screen saver. We really need a bigger display on the SqueezeBox to make more meaningful and attractive/balanced status screens.