PDA

View Full Version : File Transfer

funkincubator
2007-06-13, 12:52
Can anyone recommend a fast way to transfer my music files from one computer to the other? With over 100GB of data, cds, DVDs or other portable memory options would be time consuming and expensive.

I read about Himachi which allows you to create a LAN over the internet, mimicking a peer-to-peer network. How much longer could this take than hardwiring the computers together via USB or Ethernet?

I'm setting up my in-laws with a couple squeezeboxes and want to save them the hassle of ripping all their cd's if I could just transfer all my files onto their hard drive. We're separated by a 2 hour drive, so I'm looking for an alternative to hauling my desktop computer on my next trip over there.

ModelCitizen
2007-06-13, 13:07
I'd get a large standard hard disk and a USB enclosure. You can use it as a backup for your current library and then take it to anyone you want so they can transfer the content to their PC (assuming you and they have no qualms about the illegality of this of course).

Transfering the music over the Internet will depend upon the speed of the two internet connections. How long it will take to transfer 100gb can be easily worked out once you know this. You can also do the maths for USB2 transfers and network transfers. Any figures you arrive at will be a theoretical maximim. Expect less.

MC

mherger
2007-06-13, 13:14
> I read about Himachi which allows you to create a LAN over the
> internet, mimicking a peer-to-peer network. How much longer could this
> take than hardwiring the computers together via USB or Ethernet?

I'd guess it's at the very least 10x, rather 100x.

The 2h might be worth the effort. You can still use networking for updates.

Michael

st2lemans
2007-06-14, 00:21
USB hard disk, and then mail it. That's how I send large amounts of data to
a friend of mine a few hours drive away.

Tom

funkstar
2007-06-14, 01:55
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a jiffy bag full of Dual Layer DVD-Rs and first class royal mail delivery :)

Far faster, more reliable and a lot more secure than opening up my media box to a friend for a period of time.

funkincubator
2007-06-14, 08:21
DVD-R did occur to me, but I thought it was only 4.7GB. Dual-layer had not occurred to me, and at twice the capacity, that just might be the reasonable way to do it. Hopefully my drive is capable of writing to the disk. Thanks.

funkstar
2007-06-14, 10:38
DL DVD-R disks do take a while to burn. My drive is limited to 2.4x accross the whole disk. Although it was worth it to cut down on the bulk and weight in the jiffy bag. Also meant I could organise the files more logically and not have to split things up so much :)

adamslim
2007-06-14, 11:15
My computer fails to burn at least 50% of DVDs. Total pain. I'm with MC - get a cheap external enclosure and a cheap HD (or just a cheap HD); for 50ish you have the problem solved in this case, and a backup of all your music.

Ask yourself how much you would be willing to pay not to have to rip and flag all that music again if your system failed screechingly. Then pay the small fraction of that amount that will buy you the backup system!!

Adam

JJZolx
2007-06-14, 11:21
The only practical way for you to transport and transfer that much data is via hard drive. That could mean schlepping your desktop machine to the in-laws house, or else using an external USB hard drive. Either buy one or else just find an old 120GB or 160GB drive and mount it in an inexpensive USB enclosure.