PDA

View Full Version : Installing LAME

robertlewisca
2007-06-13, 09:45
Hello Everyone,

I've had my Squeezebox for several months now, and I've finally got around to getting it configured to stream from outside my network. For a non-tech guy like me, that was quite an accomplishment. Anyway, I got to work today, all excited to stream some music, and I can connect to my SS fine, and start playback fine, but the playback stutters rather badly.

I see that I probably need to install LAME, however I'm not completely sure how to go about that. A search yielded this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35393, however JJZolx mentioned that you drop the LAME binary into a specific directory, and restart SlimServer, and there you go. However, he mentions a LAME.exe file.

The only file I can find and download is a file called lame-3.97.tar Is that the file I need to put into (SlimServer root folder)\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread? My SlimServer (v. 6.5.1) is installed on a Windows XP, and I'm using Squeezebox v 3.2.

I'm sure this is a simple question, but I can't seem to find a simple answer anywhere. Can someone help?

Siduhe
2007-06-13, 09:54
There are instructions in the wiki. Basically, you need the Windows .zip file. Download this, extract only the lame.exe file, and then drop that in the relevant directory.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?LAMEForTranscoding

4mula1
2007-06-13, 10:00
Go to lame.sourceforge.net and go to Lame Links. Scroll down and under the section Lame Binaries you will get a link to the Windows binary (lame.exe).

4mula1
2007-06-13, 10:07
In the original post I assume you mean Softsqueeze 3.2 (you have Squeezebox).

After you have lame installed you will need to turn on bitrate limiting for that player. Go into player settings for that player and under audio you will find bitrate limiting. Setting the bitrate limiting on that player only will have no effect on any of the others. You will not need to change any other settings.

Now your remote player should play without all of the stutter (this happens to me now and then after I do an upgrade and forget to set the limiting).

robertlewisca
2007-06-13, 10:11
Thank you very much! I tried looking through the 'plug-ins' section but didn't see LAME. One more question relating to LAME - if I enable it in SS, will it convert for all players? In other words, I don't want to convert to MP3, or have any bitrate limiting on my home player, but I do want to convert to MP3 and place a bitrate limitation when I stream from work.

My understanding is that if I enable LAME on SS, it will convert to MP3 for all players, and then on each individual player I can select whether or not to limit the bitrate. If this is the case, will I need to 'disable' LAME in SS everytime I listen to music at home within my own network in order to avoid any conversion to MP3?

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-13, 10:20
Thank you very much! I tried looking through the 'plug-ins' section but didn't see LAME. One more question relating to LAME - if I enable it in SS, will it convert for all players? In other words, I don't want to convert to MP3, or have any bitrate limiting on my home player, but I do want to convert to MP3 and place a bitrate limitation when I stream from work.

It will convert for all stream.mp3 software players.

It will not convert by default on SoftSqueeze or hardware players.

Note, you also have to enable FLAC -> MP3 (keep FLAC - FLAC checked) on the Server Settings - File Types page. This assumes you use FLAC, otherwise use your format. Don't worry, as long as you keep FLAC - FLAC checked it will use that first for your hardware and SoftSqueeze players, unless you tell it otherwise in Player Settings - Bitrate Limiting, which you set player-by-player.

JJZolx
2007-06-13, 11:48
If you haven't found it yet, here's a compiled download of LAME for Windows:

http://rarewares.maresweb.de/lame3.97.zip

I usually create a C:\Program Files\LAME folder and unzip all the files into this folder. Then you'll have the help files and .dll available if you ever want them for things such as MP3 encoding with EAC. You'll then need to take a copy of lame.exe and place it in the Windows binary folder of SlimServer.

robertlewisca
2007-06-13, 17:02
Thanks to everyone for the help. All is up and running perfectly now!

Skippy
2007-06-15, 18:26
ok, i am having a problem and have never been able to solve it. i can stream mp3's just fine, the problem is that most of my collection is flac. i have flac installed as directed and slimserver even tells me that i have it installed correctly, but i can't stream the flac. i have the bitrate limiting set to 192 for my remote player and it just keeps saying that it is connecting and nothing ever plays.

any suggestions?

Skippy
2007-06-15, 18:45
i should also to say that i do have the flac->mp3 enabled.

JJZolx
2007-06-15, 18:51
ok, i am having a problem and have never been able to solve it. i can stream mp3's just fine, the problem is that most of my collection is flac. i have flac installed as directed and slimserver even tells me that i have it installed correctly, but i can't stream the flac. i have the bitrate limiting set to 192 for my remote player and it just keeps saying that it is connecting and nothing ever plays.

any suggestions?
Try the lowest bitrate and see if maybe its an issue with your upstream speed.

Skippy
2007-06-15, 18:52
i have streamed mp3's that are higher than that. i'll try it anyways though.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-06-16, 04:58
You won't ever be able to stream FLACs at 192. FLACs, at their highest compression setting, are 600-700 kbps. There's no way to reduce the bitrate any further, since FLAC is lossless.

Just use lame to transcode to mp3 for remote listening. If you can stream at 192 they should sound pretty good.

Skippy
2007-06-16, 07:12
yes, that's exactly what i am trying to do.how do i get it to work?

Skippy
2007-06-16, 07:32
ok, i just tried to limit the bitrate to 64 and tried playing a 192 bitrate mp3 and that doesn't work either.

Skippy
2007-06-16, 07:33
i just read my initial post and i realize i said i had flac installed. i meant i had lame installed. oops.

JJZolx
2007-06-16, 08:08
i just read my initial post and i realize i said i had flac installed. i meant i had lame installed. oops.
What do the settings on the Server Settings> File Types page look like? Is this line enabled:

FLAC MP3 flac/lame

Are you using Softsqueeze for the remote client or one that connects to stream.mp3? If the latter, see what happens with Softsqueeze.

Skippy
2007-06-16, 08:13
all three flacs are toggled on. flac to flac, flac to mp3 and flac to wav. i'm using the web interface with my remote player set as the player to stream to windows media player. i'll try softsqueeze.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-06-16, 08:20
Are you sure you've got lame in the right place? I believe you need to put the file "lame.exe" in your Slimserver binaries folder

Skippy
2007-06-16, 08:26
yes, that's where i have it.

slimserver says its properly installed.

Skippy
2007-06-16, 08:35
ok, i got it working. turns out zonealarm was blocking socket wrapper. working great now. thanks to everyone who replied!

daveaphillips
2007-07-22, 01:46
Hi all,

I seem to be having the same problems here, but I can't follow the suggestions as I am running SS on Ubuntu. I have searched and googled for ages and not found a fix for this, and even when I hek out the wiki someone has made, the Linux section says it varies depending on your OS...

Can anyone help?? :-)

I have lame as it comes with Ubuntu 7.04, and when I tick the tab 'flac - mp3' i get the following error after pressing 'change'

Required binary was not found: [flac] -dcs --skip=$START$ --until=$END$ -- $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ --abr $BITRATE$ - -

That suggests to me maybe I don't have lame in the right place? Any help would be appreciated!! :-)

Thanks,

Dave

pfarrell
2007-07-22, 08:06
daveaphillips wrote:
> I have lame as it comes with Ubuntu 7.04, and when I tick the tab 'flac
> - mp3' i get the following error after pressing 'change'
>
> -Required binary was not found: [flac] -dcs --skip=$START$
> --until=$END$ -- $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$
> --abr $BITRATE$ - --
>
> That suggests to me maybe I don't have lame in the right place? Any
> help would be appreciated!! :-)

No, it is saying you don't have flac installed.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html