PDA

View Full Version : In Wall modifications

broth420
2007-06-12, 13:53
Has anyone every modified a squeezebox to go in wall during a new construction. I am thinking of building a house with squeezeboxes throughout (bathroom, bedrooms, kitchen, dining) and then using a transporter in the "listening room" (ie living room). I would like they system to tie into a whole home audio system. I have done several searches, but haven't seen any info on the mods to pull this off. Any ideas or info would be great.
Thanks.

SuperQ
2007-06-12, 16:47
Has anyone every modified a squeezebox to go in wall during a new construction. I am thinking of building a house with squeezeboxes throughout (bathroom, bedrooms, kitchen, dining) and then using a transporter in the "listening room" (ie living room). I would like they system to tie into a whole home audio system. I have done several searches, but haven't seen any info on the mods to pull this off. Any ideas or info would be great.
Thanks.

There are a few in-wall mods out there.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginMods

barrygordon
2007-06-13, 19:10
My approach was a liittle different. I have in wall touchscreen controllers that have full control over slimboxes hidden away in the various rooms. e.g. the one in the Master bedroom drives a good stereo amp and Speakers and is turned on when the squeezebox comes up.

I am playing with the Pronto remote to be a totally wireless controller with the same functionality as the in wall touchscreens.

fred7
2007-06-15, 09:27
I think that it would be great if there was some sort of optional wall mount that Slimdevices sold. Roku has one and I ended up purchasing a Roku Soundbridge just so I could mount it but I returned the Roku because I didn't like it (the Soundbridge itself - not the mount). Maybe they will have something in future versions of Squeezebox, I would think that it would be popular. I may mount mine on a shelf but since it would have to be high it would be hard to see the display in my application.

broth420
2007-06-18, 07:51
My approach was a liittle different. I have in wall touchscreen controllers that have full control over slimboxes hidden away in the various rooms. e.g. the one in the Master bedroom drives a good stereo amp and Speakers and is turned on when the squeezebox comes up.

I am playing with the Pronto remote to be a totally wireless controller with the same functionality as the in wall touchscreens.

Could you give me a hint to your process, ie hardware, etc.

barrygordon
2007-06-18, 11:26
On which item, the Pronto Pro wireless remote or the In Wall Touchsscreens?

broth420
2007-06-20, 12:43
touchscreens. thanks in advance.

barrygordon
2007-06-20, 15:34
The Touch screens are model DT880 from DTresearch. They oem them only now, but they are available from a number of suppliers on the internet, I do believe Midcom Data is selling them at the same price I paid to DTresearch.

Basically it is a full fanless, diskless PC built from the ground up for in wall mounting. It runs Windows XPe. Get it with 1G of RAM and 1G of Flash (Hard drive) and it is a super machine. They can be ordered for unregulated 18V power as input. I did that and just ran an 18V PSU up to the attic to feed the units. No high voltage in attic makes underwriters electrical code work easy. Bezels come in black and white.

Mine never fail, the I8V PSU is on a ups (I live in FL lots of power glitches). The are self rebooting after power failure. Screen is 800x600 (SVGA) and very bright. Even has speaker, microphone and some buttons. I run a dedicated VB app which includes a complete graphic interface to SlimServer to control the Transporter when playing music in the house. All communications is over TCPIP. I use wired @100 mbps, it has wireless available. PM me if you need more info/help

My current project is to duplicate the same code (Slimserver and Home automation control on a Philips Pronto Pro. I am about half way there!. That one is fully wireless using TCPIP.