PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile wishlist

gian
2007-06-11, 06:27
Hello All,

I post here (and not in the Audiophile section), because I think it's a general issue.

I know that there are many mods to improve the SB's sound.
On my part I have no knowledge/time to do it myself, and I am not really willing to let my SBs be teared up by other hands than Slimdevices'.

So, why not prepare a *premium* version of the SB, incorporating all mods and priced half way to the Transporter?

I admit I won't go for the Transporter because I love *sooo much* the SB looks, but I would be interested to improve the sound.

I wonder if I'm alone here...

cheers,
-GianLuca

SuperQ
2007-06-11, 11:34
I wonder if I'm alone here...

cheers,
-GianLuca

Buy better speakers?

mlsstl
2007-06-11, 11:59
I just bought an external DAC. There are many in the $250 to $1000 range - new and used - that represent an improvement over the built-in DAC. The power supply replacement is also very easy (though I'll confess I found it made no difference for me.)

I actually did the trial run with with Transporter and returned it. For me, the SB3 with an external DAC (Lavry DA10) sounded the same for a little over half the cost. (Also, like you, I preferred the size and styling of the SB3. The Transporter was just a bit too big and "too much" for my tastes.)

I'm sure the people at Slim Devices have examined the possibility of a mid-point Squeezebox very carefully. Like any additional product in a line it'd have disadvantages for them along with advantages. (Disadvantages like siphoning off sales that would have otherwise been a Transporter, extra inventory to manage that might not result in a cost effective increase in sales, etc.)

Who knows what they'll do, but I'd be a bit surprised if they added a product in the middle. I'd suspect they are looking for ways to simplify the computer end of things to make it more user friendly. I think Slimserver is more of a hurdle for their market penetration than the Squeezebox/Transporter issue.

seanadams
2007-06-11, 12:11
I am not really willing to let my SBs be teared up by other hands than Slimdevices'.

So then why would you want us to do the same thing to it that the modders do? Would it still be "modded" then?

peter
2007-06-12, 11:29
seanadams wrote:
> gian;208142 Wrote:
>
>> I am not really willing to let my SBs be teared up by other hands than
>> Slimdevices'.
>>
>
> So then why would you want us to do the same thing to it that the
> modders do? Would it still be "modded" then?
>

Why not? Just buy the modders just like Mercedes Benz bought AMG in 1999 ;)

Regards,
Peter

gian
2007-06-13, 00:24
Sean,

I didn't really mean to have SD mod my SB, rather that I would buy a new, improved Squeezebox. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'd prefer spending $800-1000 for an original Slimdevices' project, than have mine modified by someone else.

This Super SB might just lack some Transporter features, such as connectivity, so that it does not harm its sales.

About buying better speakers, you may think that my Infinity RS 7K, being more that twenty years old, should be ready for retirement. Well, no. I have been listening a few days ago to new speakers in the 5K euro range, that were FAR from approaching their sound. I guess I must go for 10K euro speakers, but quite frankly, I don't feel the need.