PDA

View Full Version : Bizzare - SB3 Switching itself on!

elziko
2007-06-09, 14:07
It's happened twice today - once this morning and once this evening. My new SB3 just suddenly came out of standby and started playing music.

I have no alarms defined when I look at my player settings in Slimserver (SlimServer_6.5_v2007-06-06).

I have no other infrared remotes being used in the room.

What possible causes are thre for this, it's really quite odd.

peterw
2007-06-09, 14:16
It's happened twice today - once this morning and once this evening. My new SB3 just suddenly came out of standby and started playing music.

I have no alarms defined when I look at my player settings in Slimserver (SlimServer_6.5_v2007-06-06).

I have no other infrared remotes being used in the room.

What possible causes are thre for this, it's really quite odd.

Perhaps your web interface is accessible from the Internet and either you have no username/password set, or someone guessed your username and password?

mherger
2007-06-09, 14:20
> What possible causes are thre for this, it's really quite odd.

- you've opened the SlimServer ports on your firewall/router and somebody
out there is having fun playing some music for you
- some other user in your network is doing the same (are you using WPA
protection on your wireless network?)
- you've some browser opening one of slimserver's web pages which, when
opened, will play some music

Michael

oreillymj
2007-06-10, 07:55
I'm not so sure about this. I've had my SB3 begin playing by itself recently even after closing out external access.

Mitch Harding
2007-06-10, 09:43
This has been happening to me intermittently over the past few months. It
happens maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks. I am reasonably sure it is not
caused by someone using the web interface from beyond my firewall or by
hijacking my wireless (I use WPA2 - not unbreakable, but I don't give my
neighbors that much credit).

On 6/10/07, oreillymj <
oreillymj.2ryw201181487602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I'm not so sure about this. I've had my SB3 begin playing by itself
> recently even after closing out external access.
>
>
> --
> oreillymj
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> oreillymj's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=699
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35983
>
>

elziko
2007-06-10, 12:53
My Slimserver port is not forwarded to the computer my server runs on in my router so it shouldn't be accessible outside my local network.

I have WPA security on my router - where I live I somehow doubt anyone would try breaking that.

I live with my girlfriend and at the time it happened I am 100% sure no-one else could have tried accessing the web interface.

It seems like the estragest thing!

schatzy
2007-06-10, 19:50
Do you have a window where the sunlight comes in that is directly shining on the SB3 or reflecting off of something?

I have found other devices in my equipment rack do this some times when the coffee table (made of glass) does not have anything on it.

The sun comes thru the window and reflects off of the glass table top directly at some of the components in my equipment rack.

Other items that can cause this effect are Plasma TV's, some of the compact flouresent light bulbs, and also in my case the cat stepping on more than one button of a remote control.

If none of these sound like they may be the cause i would suggest putting black electrical tape over the display for a few days to see if it still comes on. if it does come on then there is deffinately something else going on. If it does not come on then there is an external source causing the IR sensor to activate the SB3

peejay
2007-06-10, 21:51
Do you have a window where the sunlight comes in that is directly shining on the SB3 or reflecting off of something?

I have found other devices in my equipment rack do this some times when the coffee table (made of glass) does not have anything on it.

The sun comes thru the window and reflects off of the glass table top directly at some of the components in my equipment rack.

Other items that can cause this effect are Plasma TV's, some of the compact flouresent light bulbs, and also in my case the cat stepping on more than one button of a remote control.

If none of these sound like they may be the cause i would suggest putting black electrical tape over the display for a few days to see if it still comes on. if it does come on then there is deffinately something else going on. If it does not come on then there is an external source causing the IR sensor to activate the SB3

I've had one of my cats demonstrate its penchant for jazz by starting Vince Jones once with the remote.....I had no idea it even liked music until then.......

Robin Bowes
2007-06-11, 17:01
elziko wrote:
> It's happened twice today - once this morning and once this evening. My
> new SB3 just suddenly came out of standby and started playing music.
>
> I have no alarms defined when I look at my player settings in
> Slimserver (SlimServer_6.5_v2007-06-06).
>
> I have no other infrared remotes being used in the room.
>
> What possible causes are thre for this, it's really quite odd.

I've seen the same behaviour.

Are you using Random Mix?

I've also seen it where I've launched Firefox and it's restored previous
sessions which has resulted in the Slim Device (Transporter in my case)
starting to play.

R.

elziko
2007-06-16, 00:43
Yes I do use random mix quite often but I cannot be sure it was the last thing I was using when this happens.

I did, however, turn on the username/password feature for the server to make 100% sure no-one is getting at it.

Unfortunatly it switched itself on again yesterday evening - it was fairly dull outside at the time too.