PDA

View Full Version : Loss of text focus in web forms when Slimserver open in tab

MelonMonkey
2007-06-09, 11:18
Hopefully enough people read this despite trying to cram a long description into the title of the post.

I'm trying to find out if a problem I'm seeing is due to some oddity in the SlimServer web UI or a fault of the browser I'm using. So I'd love to hear back from anyone running both similar and dissimilar setups.

I'm using Camino 1.5 (Mozilla based) in Mac OS and this problem has always been around (I will do some testing with Safari next).

Open SlimServer web UI - I'm using Fishbone skin

Play a selection of tracks (short ones are best to make reproducing this quick) - playing on SqueezeBox

Open new tab and come to this forum

Start a new post or reply

Type within the Message edit box on the posting page

When the track changes on the SqueezeBox/SlimServer, the focus will be lost from the edit box - if you type you will not be typing into the text box.

It's happened a number of times while creating this post. Very very annoying as you might imagine. it basically means that if I'm going to be posting in forms I have to close the SlimServer page.

MelonMonkey
2007-06-09, 11:24
Ok, testing Safari right now with the same setup described in the first post.

Camino has been closed completely for this test. If this turns out to be a browser-specific issue I'm still not sure who's to blame. ;) I suppose the easiest thing will be to submit it as a SlimServer issue for initial investigation. I doubt there will be many Camino developers that have SlimServer/SB running to test this.

Ok, the issue doesn't happen with Safari. Hopefully some others running (other) Mozilla-based browsers can give this a go.

mherger
2007-06-09, 12:00
> Camino has been closed completely for this test. If this turns out to
> be a browser-specific issue I'm still not sure who's to blame.

I'd say Camino - I just tested with FireFox 2 on OSX. No problem.

Michael

mherger
2007-06-09, 12:12
> Ok, the issue doesn't happen with Safari. Hopefully some others running
> (other) Mozilla-based browsers can give this a go.

I'm sorry, I can't even reproduce with Camino. Do you have any plugin
installed?

BTW: what's the advantage of Camino over Firefox (I'm pretty new to OSX)?

Michael

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-09, 13:32
Could there be a browser preferences setting that will keep focus on the present tab when another open tab refreshes?

MelonMonkey
2007-06-09, 13:43
>
BTW: what's the advantage of Camino over Firefox (I'm pretty new to OSX)?

No browser these days is what I call "light weight" but Firefox is just about the biggest pig of a browser I've tried - even more so that Internet Explorer. I have not used version 2 yet, but all 1.x versions crashed or slowed down to an unusable level after mild browsing. Memory leaks in every single release were obvious when the browser was using 800MB of system/virtual memory for 4 tabs of static pages.

Firefox, despite its wide theme selection is also not at all Mac OS-like.

Camino is a happy medium. Safari is just lacking in a number of areas and also has that backwards metal look for me to get into it.

Next message back to this issue...

MelonMonkey
2007-06-09, 13:56
I believe I have always seen this issue when SlimServer sites in a tab running fishbone. That was before installing plugins.

Here are the installed and enabled plugins anyway:

Audioscrobbler Submitter
Command Line Interface (CLI)
Date and Time Screensaver
Digital Inputs
IR-Blaster
iTunes
iTunes Update
MusicMagic
Network Test
Podcasts
Quick Access
Random Mix

Rescan Music Library
RS232
RSS News Ticker
Save Playlist
Shadow Play

SuperDateTime Screensaver
Visualizer Screensaver

XML-RPC/JSON-RPC Interface

In Camino I have the tab preferences set to open new tabs in background (this just means you aren't automatically taken to the new tab when you open it). Other than that I can't think of any settings that could affect this.

An interesting thing just happened though... I saw the issue when writing the previous post about Camino benefits but now have been through two track changes without seeing it in this one. The only difference is that right now the left pane of the Fishbone UI is showing the Server plugins list and normally it is showing Browse Albums (by covers, sorted Artist-> Year-> Album)

When the issue happens you can see the SlimServer tab's title change momentarily from "SlimServer" to "Loading" and then back.

I just tried reproducing the problem by using the remote to skip to the next track and it didn't happen.

MelonMonkey
2007-06-09, 14:00
Hmm... For starting the previous message it wasn't happening at all. What I just did was queue up a bunch of really short tracks so I could test for the issue without waiting around for minutes. Weird. This is the only time I remember not being affected by this.

Haven't changed anything in browser or SlimServer settings and I'm back to viewing the Browse by covers in the left pane.

JJZolx
2007-06-09, 14:13
I don't see this with SlimServer and the web ui in Firefox on Windows, but I do see it with other applications. EAC is one that has a bad habit of pulling focus back to itself whenever it does an interface refresh. I'd venture that this is an artifact of application and operating system interaction and is probably a fairly common problem with GUIs in general.