PDA

View Full Version : How much power does the Squeezebox 3 use in standby

stormy
2007-06-09, 10:06
Hi,

I found the power usage at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34789&highlight=power+consumption

What I don't understand is why the unit gets so warm when its supposed to be consuming so little electric. ;)

Mike

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-09, 13:13
What I don't understand is why the unit gets so warm when its supposed to be consuming so little electric. ;)

4-5 W in an object the size of the SB3 will definitely keep it warm. The SB3 gets warmer than the SB2 - the case is smaller, there's hardly any free air and no ventilation at all, it's a direct radiator.

Also most of that 4-5 W is going to the display (VFD), keeping the cathode filaments red-hot. Take a look at the unit in the dark with brightness set to 0. Those filaments are radiating heat much more directly than the circuitry inside.

SuperQ
2007-06-09, 15:06
4-5 W in an object the size of the SB3 will definitely keep it warm. The SB3 gets warmer than the SB2 - the case is smaller, there's hardly any free air and no ventilation at all, it's a direct radiator.

plastic is also a very good insulator.. if there was less plastic behind the aluminum faceplate, it could be a tad bit cooler.

You correct that convection is probably the largest factor. I'd rather have the device a bit warm than to have dust get into it.

MelonMonkey
2007-06-10, 08:25
I don't understand why the display is still powered even when there has been no server connection for X amount of time.

Having a number of these radiator devices in the home will also keep the house warmer and require more air conditioning in the summer. Not good.