PDA

View Full Version : IRBlaster while on SqueezeNetwork

Mausoleum
2007-06-08, 16:05
Hello,

I noticed that when the SqueezeBox is connected to SqueezeNetwork, the IRBlaster plugin is not operating. Is there a way to change that? I have the SqueezeBox turning my amp on and off, which I find quite useful, but that doesn't work when it's connected to SqueezeNetwork 8-(.

Thanks,
Martin

realityloop
2007-06-08, 16:26
I'd noticed this too.. would be great if it did work.. as I've pretty much shied away from using SqueezeNetwork due to it..

matthijskoopmans
2007-06-08, 16:40
That would mean that you would need to be upload your specific IRBlaster codes to your personal settings on the Squeezenetwork site. This would require an addition to the plugin (generating a file ready for upload, and logging on to Squeezenetwork for doing so), and an extension to the services offered by Squeezenetwork...

It may not be as simple as it seems :)

Regards,

Matt

peterw
2007-06-08, 16:43
I noticed that when the SqueezeBox is connected to SqueezeNetwork, the IRBlaster plugin is not operating. Is there a way to change that? I have the SqueezeBox turning my amp on and off, which I find quite useful, but that doesn't work when it's connected to SqueezeNetwork 8-(.

This won't be possible until Slimserver 7.0. SqueezeNetwork is essentially an "alternate" Slimserver. The IR Blaster plugin runs in your local Slimserver. When you're on SqueezeNetwork, your local Slimserver has no idea what's happening between your Squeezebox and SqeezeNetwork, so IR Blaster doesn't know it should do anything.

Slimserver 7.0 will allow us to connect to SqueezeNetwork through our local Slimservers, so that third party plugins like IR Blaster will work -- as well as also allowing "direct" connections to SN as in the current model.

-Peter

JimC
2007-06-08, 17:47
...Slimserver 7.0 will allow us to connect to SqueezeNetwork through our local Slimservers, so that third party plugins like IR Blaster will work -- as well as also allowing "direct" connections to SN as in the current model.

-Peter

Peter is correct, the current plan for SlimServer 7 would allow you to connect to SqueezeNetwork via SS, rather than having to log off. In this setup, the IR plugin should be fine whether you're playing local music served up via SS, or remote content accessed via SN.

The problem is for people who want to use SqueezeNetwork exclusively, and leave their PC turned off. In this case, SlimServer 7 won't help them. As stated earlier, this isn't a simple solution -- in fact, we have this whole division called Harmony that exists because it is such a non-trivial task to configure each user's unique set of IR codes.

I realize that you're asking for a smaller subset (just audio gear), but it still isn't easy to do.

JJZolx
2007-06-08, 18:51
How exactly will the Squeezebox->SlimServer->SqueezeNetwork connection work and what are the advantages over just using the capabilities of SlimServer? I thought the plans were more along the lines of having SlimServer sync with SqueezeNetwork settings and favorites, so the SB isn't actually talking to SqueezeNetwork.

Would it be feasible to implement IRBlaster in firmware, with codes downloaded from the local SlimServer? Or, beyond feasibility, would that just be opening a Pandora's box for functionality requests that don't require a local SlimServer, but can't be filled by SqueezeNetwork?

JimC
2007-06-08, 22:17
How exactly will the Squeezebox->SlimServer->SqueezeNetwork connection work and what are the advantages over just using the capabilities of SlimServer? I thought the plans were more along the lines of having SlimServer sync with SqueezeNetwork settings and favorites, so the SB isn't actually talking to SqueezeNetwork.

Andy can do a much better job of explaining this, but as I understand it, SN's current services will be integrated into SS7 so that you won't need SN when SS is running. I'm not sure what the plan is regarding favorites and settings -- I would prefer them to be synchronized, as I think that's the best user experience.

The advantage of SN is being able to use a Squeezebox without ever installing, running or configuring SlimServer! Talk about the ultimate way to simplify SS ;-) Seriously, that's a big advantage for people who are loathe to install software on a PC. It's also a way for you to eliminate the need to have a computer running in your home for serving music to the Squeezebox.

There are trade-offs in that scenario, and it won't work for everyone (folks who want to use only lossless compression, for example), which is why we will continue to have both SS and SN for the foreseeable future.

Would it be feasible to implement IRBlaster in firmware, with codes downloaded from the local SlimServer? Or, beyond feasibility, would that just be opening a Pandora's box for functionality requests that don't require a local SlimServer, but can't be filled by SqueezeNetwork?

With the new local language support, I'm not sure how much room is left for storage in FW. It's also a bit inconsistent with the idea of the renderer being "slim" (or server-driven). And, yes, it opens a box I'm not sure we can or want to open.

I believe the Jive platform would be able to support a plugin adapted to store the IR codes locally and send those to the Squeezebox for output via the IR blaster.

mherger
2007-06-09, 01:21
> How exactly will the Squeezebox->SlimServer->SqueezeNetwork connection

SlimServer should work as kind of proxy who's requesting the information
from SQN. In fact that's already the case today for most of the radio
stations: when you browse eg. Shoutcast, SlimServer will fetch the list of
stations from SQN, which does the hard job collecting and filtering that
information. But it has to do it only once every x minutes for all users.

> work and what are the advantages over just using the capabilities of
> SlimServer?

Pandora and probably other SQN only services can be used without switching
server.

> I thought the plans were more along the lines of having
> SlimServer sync with SqueezeNetwork settings and favorites, so the SB
> isn't actually talking to SqueezeNetwork.

While this might be the option for those who want to switch between
servers (for failover scenarios or whatever), the plan is to have SQN
integrated to the point where you don't need to switch to SQN anymore for
all it's additional services.

Michael

)p(
2007-06-09, 04:23
Why not just a simple ir-repeater option in the firmware. And very useful for a lot of people. I know I would love ti see that happen :)

peter

andyg
2007-06-09, 05:31
If you want to get an idea of how SN services will work via SS7, try a recent trunk build. MP3tunes and most of Rhapsody Direct are already working.

peterw
2007-06-09, 08:11
Why not just a simple ir-repeater option in the firmware. And very useful for a lot of people. I know I would love ti see that happen :)

I'd rather see Logitech port IRBlaster to SN if there's really much customer demand. Keep that relatively heavy logic on the server side.

I'd rather see whatever extra player/firmware resources are available reserved for things that *need* to go in the player like the work Richard and awy (?) have been doing on improving synchronization. Or fix the slow Ogg Vorbis stream playback that I still haven't reported to bugzilla (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33086)

JimC -- good point about language support. I tend to forget that the player config/setup code has l10n, and not everything is translated on the server side. :-)

-Peter

secabeen
2007-06-11, 11:34
JimC wrote:
> peterw;207760 Wrote:
>> ...Slimserver 7.0 will allow us to connect to SqueezeNetwork through our
>> local Slimservers, so that third party plugins like IR Blaster will work
>> -- as well as also allowing "direct" connections to SN as in the current
>> model.
>>
>> -Peter
>
> Peter is correct, the current plan for SlimServer 7 would allow you to
> connect to SqueezeNetwork via SS, rather than having to log off. In
> this setup, the IR plugin should be fine whether you're playing local
> music served up via SS, or remote content accessed via SN.

Will you be able to mix Rhapsody songs and local songs in a single
playlist? There are some songs that aren't on Rhapsody that we own that
I'd like to be able to put in a single playlist with Rhapsody tracks.
That would be *excellent*.

--Ted

andyg
2007-06-11, 11:38
JimC wrote:
> peterw;207760 Wrote:
>> ...Slimserver 7.0 will allow us to connect to SqueezeNetwork through our
>> local Slimservers, so that third party plugins like IR Blaster will work
>> -- as well as also allowing "direct" connections to SN as in the current
>> model.
>>
>> -Peter
>
> Peter is correct, the current plan for SlimServer 7 would allow you to
> connect to SqueezeNetwork via SS, rather than having to log off. In
> this setup, the IR plugin should be fine whether you're playing local
> music served up via SS, or remote content accessed via SN.

Will you be able to mix Rhapsody songs and local songs in a single
playlist? There are some songs that aren't on Rhapsody that we own that
I'd like to be able to put in a single playlist with Rhapsody tracks.
That would be *excellent*.

--Ted

Yes, you will be able to do that. Rhapsody Direct support is (mostly) already in SS7 trunk if you want to play with it.

JJZolx
2007-06-11, 11:47
I'd rather see Logitech port IRBlaster to SN if there's really much customer demand. Keep that relatively heavy logic on the server side.

I can't even imagine the hit to responsiveness you'd see when mapping remote keypresses via a server residing on the Internet.

mherger
2007-06-11, 11:57
> I can't even imagine the hit to responsiveness you'd see when mapping
> remote keypresses via a server residing on the Internet.

Just connect to SQN right now - you'll see it immediately (or not!). All
IR commands are handled by the server already.

Michael

JimC
2007-06-11, 13:11

peter

Hmmm... perhaps I'm missing something, but how will that solve the problem? The request is for IR blaster plug-in functionality (i.e. replay stored IR commands through the blaster) while on Squeezenetwork. Simply repeating -- which I'm assuming as "receive and retransmit" -- IR commands through the blaster wouldn't accomplish that.

-=> Jim

)p(
2007-06-11, 14:08
Hmmm... perhaps I'm missing something, but how will that solve the problem? The request is for IR blaster plug-in functionality (i.e. replay stored IR commands through the blaster) while on Squeezenetwork. Simply repeating -- which I'm assuming as "receive and retransmit" -- IR commands through the blaster wouldn't accomplish that.

-=> Jim

Yes just repeating all ir commands received through the "headphone" port. For example in my case most of my equipment is hidden away. I use the sb with the irblaster plugin as a repeater to control those devices. So I must have the slimserver running all the time. I would prefer to put the server to sleep when its not playing any music and let the clock been shown through squeezenetwork.

peter

peter

livelock
2007-06-13, 15:41
With the new local language support, I'm not sure how much room is left for storage in FW. It's also a bit inconsistent with the idea of the renderer being "slim" (or server-driven). And, yes, it opens a box I'm not sure we can or want to open.

Without having read the whole thread, I really really think IRBlaster should be implemented in the firmware somehow. I use it and it's terrific! But volume control is slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww