PDA

View Full Version : Album partially duplicated after scanning

cliveb
2007-06-07, 14:49
This is a weird one. One of the albums in my collection has 6 tracks. The Slimserver scanner correctly catalogues this album. However, it *also* catalogues a duplicate album, under the same artist, containing only track 6 (ie. the last track - which may or may not be significant, I guess). It's not that track 6 is being put into a separate album: it's also in the proper place. I've done a wipe & rescan, but exactly the same thing happened. Funny thing is, I recall this happening a while back to exactly the same album, and a wipe/rescan fixed it that time.

I can't see anything strange about the tags on this file. And even if this was a tagging issue, surely it would just cause the track to be split off into a separate album, not be duplicated?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Failing that, is there a way to delete that duplicated album from the database via the web interface?

I'm running Slimserver 6.5.1 - 10915, running on Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

Neil Cameron
2007-06-08, 03:51
In my experience this is a common scanning error; and it will normally
disappear on a rescan - at which point you will find that a whole
(different) album will disappear! Rescanning again will find that album,
but others will then disappear!! Scanning is a random activity in my
experience...

Neil

"cliveb"
<cliveb.2rtv1b1181253001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote in message
news:cliveb.2rtv1b1181253001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com...
>
> This is a weird one. One of the albums in my collection has 6 tracks.
> The Slimserver scanner correctly catalogues this album. However, it
> *also* catalogues a duplicate album, under the same artist, containing
> only track 6 (ie. the last track - which may or may not be significant,
> I guess). It's not that track 6 is being put into a separate album: it's
> also in the proper place. I've done a wipe & rescan, but exactly the
> same thing happened. Funny thing is, I recall this happening a while
> back to exactly the same album, and a wipe/rescan fixed it that time.
>
> I can't see anything strange about the tags on this file. And even if
> this was a tagging issue, surely it would just cause the track to be
> split off into a separate album, not be duplicated?
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this before? Failing that, is there a way
> to delete that duplicated album from the database via the web
> interface?
>
> I'm running Slimserver 6.5.1 - 10915, running on Windows 2000 Pro SP4.
>
>
> --
> cliveb
>
> Transporter -> ATC SCM100A
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> cliveb's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=348
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35929

cliveb
2007-06-08, 08:52
In my experience this is a common scanning error; and it will normally disappear on a rescan - at which point you will find that a whole (different) album will disappear! Rescanning again will find that album, but others will then disappear!! Scanning is a random activity in my experience...
I've never had that experience. Apart from this one specific album, my scans always seem spot-on.

Thinking it might be something about the tags that I'd overlooked, I've just done the following:
1. Decoded the FLAC files back to WAV.
2. Deleted the original FLACs.
3. Recreated the FLACs and their tags manually from those WAVs.
4. Done another wipe/rescan.

The result? Exactly the same as before - album correctly catalogued, and another album with the same name containing only the last track!

The only thing peculiar about this album is that its name contains only digits and dashes (it's "17-11-70" by Elton John). But there's another album like that ("1967-1970" by The Beatles) which doesn't give the same problem.

So, back to my original question: is there any way to remove a particular album from the Slimserver database?

cliveb
2007-06-09, 01:56
I've done some more focused experiments, and have come to the conclusion that this partial album is some kind of zombie entry in the Slimserver database which does get removed during the wipe prior to rescan. (Evidence? I switched SS to a new music folder, put just one album - not the rogue one in question - in it, and after a wipe/rescan the rogue album was still present, with a location pointing back to the old music folder).

So I need to delete that zombie album from the database. I'm comfortable with SQL and have MySQL Query Browser available, so I'm happy to do this manually. But I can't find out the port number, username, password and schema name required to connect to the Slimserver database (on a Windows 2000 machine). Is this documented somewhere? Also, some database schema documentation would be useful: can I get this anywhere? A search through the wiki doesn't seem to come up with anything.

Ben Sandee
2007-06-09, 05:40
On 6/9/07, cliveb <cliveb.2rwkq01181379602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I've done some more focused experiments, and have come to the conclusion
> that this partial album is some kind of zombie entry in the Slimserver
> database which does get removed during the wipe prior to rescan.
> (Evidence? I switched SS to a new music folder, put just one album -
> not the rogue one in question - in it, and after a wipe/rescan the
> rogue album was still present, with a location pointing back to the old
> music folder).

Make sure you don't have a playlist in your playlists folder that might
reference this file.

Ben

bjs
2007-06-09, 10:03
Cliveb,

I believe I am having the exact same problem, exept that I had 33 "zombies". In brief,:
- I found occasional duplicate albums in my libary
- I made sure the tags were correct.
- Clear & rescans didn't remove the duplicates from the library.
- I re-targeted my music folder to an empty test folder; Most of my library (about 400 albums) was wiped, but 33 "zombie" albums remained.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35954&highlight=rescan

I just tried removing the playlist file from server settings, and found that all of the zombie albums finally disappeared! Yet when I re-entered my playlist file, the zombie albums came back.

So I tried deleting those playlists that included tracks from the zombie albums, and after rescanning my library, those zombie albums that had been referenced in the playlists were gone!

This seems like a bug to me. I think what's happening is that if you update the tags for a particular album that happens to be referenced in a playlist, that playlist still thinks that the old tags still exist, and a duplicate entry is created in the library.

cliveb
2007-06-09, 10:20
Make sure you don't have a playlist in your playlists folder that might reference this file.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I never use playlists so didn't even think about this possibility. Following your advice, I found a file called "ZappedSongs.m3u" and sure enough it contained a reference to the one song that's been causing the problem. I deleted the m3u file, did a wipe/rescan, and now all is well. No idea how the file got created - presumably some finger-trouble with the remote.

cliveb
2007-06-09, 10:22
This seems like a bug to me. I think what's happening is that if you update the tags for a particular album that happens to be referenced in a playlist, that playlist still thinks that the old tags still exist, and a duplicate entry is created in the library.
That would make sense - I recently set up ALBUMSORT tags for all albums, and the "zombie" appeared after the rescan following that.